Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dktyson
    • Aug 2013

Re: Building the D18 Myst - 18' Beach Yawl

Fitting the outer stem. Like the inner stem it is 3 layers of mahogany staggered for strength, laminated together with thickened MAS epoxy, and attached with stainless steel carriage bolts through the inner stem.

Note on stainless steel: Don specifies bronze for all the fasteners, but after researching I concluded that stainless is fine for this build where the fasteners are completely encased in epoxy and will never see water at all. They certainly will never be soaked long term in stagnant salt water... I've spent the money so far on the best materials, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the money unnecessarily for bronze fasteners that will be sealed up permanently.
    Exposed fasteners will be bronze.

Outer keel attached. The bobstay eyebolt is stainless steel. Couldn't find bronze with a long enough shank even after searching the ENTIRE internet. Could have had one custom made of course, but this isn't a particularly traditional boat that absolutely requires bronze.

Comment

• dktyson
      • Aug 2013

Hopefully no one will tell me NOW where I could have found a bronze shoulder bolt with a 7" shank for less than a small fortune... That stainless bolt is epoxy cast in place and will NEVER come out.

Comment

• dktyson
        • Aug 2013

Test fitting the bilge pump. It will have a short stub pipe with a screen out the bottom and a pipe with an elbow which will empty into a hole in the top of the fore end of the centerboard case- you can't see it in this photo.

Comment

• Rich Jones
          What boat to build next?
          • Apr 2009

Teak decks... Nice! You don't often see teak decks on a boat this size. I was a bit worried that you'd be just covering the decks with FG. That fir marine ply wouldn't be the best for just FG.
          I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
          Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• dktyson
            • Aug 2013

I hear you Rich. The teak strips will be bedded in thickened, black pigmented epoxy on top of the plywood. It's a token amount of teak, but it should look sharp.

Comment

• BBSebens
              No Member
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by dktyson

Note on stainless steel: Don specifies bronze for all the fasteners, but after researching I concluded that stainless is fine for this build where the fasteners are completely encased in epoxy and will never see water at all. They certainly will never be soaked long term in stagnant salt water... I've spent the money so far on the best materials, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the money unnecessarily for bronze fasteners that will be sealed up permanently.

Im just reading your thread now for the first time. Looks good. A sweet boat.

I find it odd that you would suddenly decide to save some bucks here. My understanding is that SS needs to be exposed to oxygen to maintain its rust resistant properties. The bobstay eye I understand, but I personally wouldn't be encasing stainless fasteners in epoxy.

Just my $.02. Great project.
              There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

El Toro Dinghy Springline
              12’ San Francisco Pelican Sounder
              Laguna 18

Comment

• dktyson
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by BBSebens
                Im just reading your thread now for the first time. Looks good. A sweet boat.

I find it odd that you would suddenly decide to save some bucks here. My understanding is that SS needs to be exposed to oxygen to maintain its rust resistant properties. The bobstay eye I understand, but I personally wouldn't be encasing stainless fasteners in epoxy.

Just my $.02. Great project.
                If my statement makes it appear that I suddenly decided to start saving money now, it is not what I intended. Many of the stainless screws were already installed by the time I realized the corrosion issues. I did the research, and decided to continue using them because I don't believe the corrosion concerns apply to the fasteners, in the way that I have utilized them.

It's true that SS needs to be exposed to oxygen to resist corrosion, but it's also true that it needs to be exposed to water to corrode. If it's sealed up and never sees water, how can it corrode? (Of course you might say that it's foolish to think that anything is ever permanently "sealed up" on a wooden boat- I'll concede that point)

I must say, that as the hours spent on this project mount, I am becoming more and more accepting of the high cost of the best materials. Not spending like a drunken sailor yet though...
                Last edited by dktyson; 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• dktyson
                  • Aug 2013

All the interior parts which will be painted are installed. They have been glued and screwed in place and coated with several coats of pigmented epoxy.

Another view of bulkheads, thwart beams, bench and thwarts supports etc. Everything needs sanding, epoxy fillets and some additional fairing inside the hull before painting, but I want to begin the fabrication and fitting of floorboards, benches and thwarts. Joinery has been easier up to this point since cosmetic woodworking shortcomings can be hidden by epoxy and paint. All the interior work after this will involve bright finished mahogany.

Comment

• skaraborgcraft
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2010

Lovely work. I especially like your coaming support,nice timber you are working with. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• dktyson
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by skaraborgcraft
                      Lovely work. I especially like your coaming support,nice timber you are working with. Thanks for sharing.
                      I appreciate your interest and compliments.

I am really enjoying working with mahogany, as it is so stable, clear and nice to work. I wish it were cheaper...
                      Last edited by dktyson; 10-17-2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• sailcanoefan
                        Boat Builder
                        • Jun 2011

Did you make the mast already...or I missed it?

I wonder how you will do it, cuz I have to make mine this winter.

Maybe cut a spruce tree in the forest close by???
                        ''The work is teaching you the work'' : Bernard Moitessier.

Single-handed Sailor, 1968-1969 Golden Globe Challenge, 1st around the world sailing race.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                          pinko commie tree hugger
                          • Oct 2003

wicked cool build thread, thanks
                          Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• dktyson
                            • Aug 2013

A peak ahead at present day progress. (the last pictures posted bring the project up to a few months ago)
                            I won't post any pictures of the boat right at the present stage of the build until I get to that point in the thread, but below is the Myst component list which shows that I have fabricated every wooden part inside the boat (below the sheer) - spars excluded.
                            This was an intimidating list when I first received the plans about 4 years ago- it might as well have been written in Greek. There is AT LEAST another year of work to be done before completion, but at least this list is nearly all ticked off.

Comment

• dktyson
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by sailcanoefan
                              Did you make the mast already...or I missed it?

I wonder how you will do it, cuz I have to make mine this winter.

Maybe cut a spruce tree in the forest close by???
                              I didn't make the masts yet. I plan to do that this winter. The main mast will be hollow birds-mouth construction and the mizzen and other spars will be solid. I've never done a hollow spar before so it should be interesting. The bowsprit is the only spar that I have made so far.

I think I would need to come to Montreal for a good spruce tree.

Comment

• dktyson
                                • Aug 2013

"wicked cool" is higher praise than I could have hoped for...

Comment

Working...