X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David G
    • Dec 2003

Re: Router / laminate trimmer

Originally posted by DeniseO30
    David G, then stop tossing in all that jargon!

uh yes.. pattern bits have bearings. why I mentioned them.

Couple of years ago I did a pattern guide for my band saw then finished the pieces with pattern bit

I'm all for master class routing!
    My bad. I read your comments to mean 'pattern bits' as opposed to 'bearing bits'. Reading it over several more times... I think maybe you were comparing other things​ (guide bushing, bases, jigs, etc.) to all pattern bits?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• DeniseO30
      Thinks too much..
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by David G
      My bad. I read your comments to mean 'pattern bits' as opposed to 'bearing bits'. Reading it over several more times... I think maybe you were comparing other things​ (guide bushing, bases, jigs, etc.) to all pattern bits?
      I don't know, maybe calling the bearings that are mounted on router bits guide bearings (not guide bushings) is my mistake.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
      Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building

Comment

• David G
        • Dec 2003

Thus illustrating, once again, the utility of precise nomenclature when attempting to communicate on a kludgeyu venue such as a message board. Seems like we DO eventually get it sorted out, though. I just begrudge the waste of time... and the potential for misleading those with less experience.
        David G
        Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• DeniseO30
          Thinks too much..
          • Jan 2009

Thus illustrating, once again, the utility of precise nomenclature when attempting to communicate on a kludgeyu venue such as a message board. Seems like we DO eventually get it sorted out, though. I just begrudge the waste of time... and the potential for misleading those with less experience.
          Also, Americans really destroy the English language!

Comment

• David G
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DeniseO30
            Also, Americans really destroy the English language!

Indeed. My Brit & Antipodean friends insist that it should be Harbour Woodworks <snort>
            David G
            Harbor Woodworks

Comment

• jgjones
              • Oct 2012

Hey David G...

I just felt like clicking on the link in your signature, and it took me to "realtor.com", and then on subsequent clicks, to "clickvalidator.net". Not sure what that means, but I thought I should mention it...

Jim

Comment

• David G
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jgjones
                Hey David G...

I just felt like clicking on the link in your signature, and it took me to "realtor.com", and then on subsequent clicks, to "clickvalidator.net". Not sure what that means, but I thought I should mention it...

Jim
                Appreciate the thought. It's an ongoing issue with my isp... which is 'gonna get fixed real soon'. I'm about to give up on 'em. But meantime, I haven't figured out how to substitute my FB link (I'm a tech idjit):

And then there's the question of whether I want to bother, as 99% of my work comes from referrals.

IOW, I'm dithering. I appreciate your reminding me, though.
                David G
                Harbor Woodworks

Comment

• willin woodworks
                  • Jan 2011

But you could probably charge 15% more if you changed the name to Harbour....

Comment

• David G
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by willin woodworks
                    But you could probably charge 15% more if you changed the name to Harbour....
                    <snort> Would I also need to move sticks to BVI???
                    David G
                    Harbor Woodworks

Comment

• OliverBendix
                      • Feb 2012

Thanks all, for the advice and tangential stuff. I had a look at the Ryobi 1600 W router again today and decided against it - the plunge and depth set mechanisms are crude and the lock barely sufficient to contain the strong springs in the legs. So even if the motor and bearings are OK the rest of the mechanism seems a bit rubbish.

This Maktek one looks OK for about $50 more - I’ll try to drop into the other big box chain (mitre10) to have a look. https://www.makita.co.nz/products/model/M3601M

Comment

• David G
                        • Dec 2003

As a brand - Makita is solid. I've been impressed with every Makita tool I've owned. Their days of being innovators, and leading the pack in technology, seem long past. But they built a very nice tool.

I don't know that router, and routers are not what Makita is best known for. But the one friend who had a bigger Makita plunge liked it just fine. 900W... that's like 1.25 or 1.5 hp, right? Maybe a bit small for a plunge, but not a bad choice for a first/only router.
                        David G
                        Harbor Woodworks

Comment

• DeniseO30
                          Thinks too much..
                          • Jan 2009

As a brand - Makita is solid. I've been impressed with every Makita tool I've owned. Their days of being innovators, and leading the pack in technology, seem long past. But they built a very nice tool.

I don't know that router, and routers are not what Makita is best known for. But the one friend who had a bigger Makita plunge liked it just fine. 900W... that's like 1.25 or 1.5 hp, right? Maybe a bit small for a plunge, but not a bad choice for a first/only router.
                          Every time I usemy HF, it I'm amazed that it's lasted so long, and I've had it maybe 3 years now. It runs smooth, it's not terribly loud, the plastic base is at least as good as any other, for its price, It's paid for itself maybe a 20 times over!

It's the most used router in my very much under utilized wood shop! The Bosch that is in the router table top I've had maybe over 20 years it also runs top speed or with the speed controller very very well but it is loud, and the router table cabinet seems to make it even louder. Porter-Cable sits on the Shelf,

Comment

Working...