X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RFNK
    Port Stephens, Australia
    • Feb 2007

Re: Building 72' schooner in Viet Nam

Thanks Luc, and thanks for the latest batch of pictures too! It really is looking beautiful already. Rick
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• Candyfloss
      • Apr 2009

Rick, that is the understatement of the year mate. That boat is absolutely bloody STUNNING.
      Keep It Simple: KISS it better.

Comment

• Lucky Luke
        • Jan 2003

You will have noticed that the filler on the fastening of the planking are a different color below and above waterline. The owner originally wanted to keep open the option of a varnished hull, idea which was abandoned when he saw the vary different colors of the wood from various trees , although being all of the same specie , and this is why fastenings have epoxy/carbosil filller over them below waterline, and wooden dowels above.

The offset of the dowels is due to a short scarf joining the butts of planks:

You can see through the stern ports (no guns intended there) the lamination that makes the upper part of the stern frame:

"Homme libre, toujours tu cheriras la mer" (Charles Baudelaire)

Comment

• Larks
          Larks
          • Jul 2007

Luke she is looking great. Because you have used meranti planking are you likely to vaccum the resin/glassing process to improve the saturation of the planking or is that only something that is done with foam core hulls?
          Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
          “It’s risky”, said experience.
          “It’s pointless”, said reason.
          “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• Lucky Luke
            • Jan 2003

THE CREW:

"A tout seigneur, tout honneur!"

Here is part of the gang who has built this boat so far:
            On the right, with his wife, is Mr. Trung, the foreman.

and some offspring, future heart breakers:

They are all the nicest guys you can meet, and extremely keen on learning new boat building techniques, which are very different from what they are used to do: here is Trung's brother boatyard, also in Vung Tau:

Did you say: "rough"?....
            Last edited by Lucky Luke; 05-17-2010, 09:00 PM. Reason: just reviewed my spelling....again!

Comment

• Lucky Luke
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Larks
              Luke she is looking great. Because you have used meranti planking are you likely to vaccum the resin/glassing process to improve the saturation of the planking or is that only something that is done with foam core hulls?
              I cannot really imagine encapsulating that whole hull (with all it's shoring) for vacuum and sort of "scrimping" of the epoxy into the wood....!

Inside , before putting on the first ply of the "new" decking (you will see later...!) all interior including beams, stringers, beam shelf and the blocking at deck line will be impregnated with International Everdure, which is a very thin, low molecular weight epoxy, first diluted at 50% (thinner than water!) up to refusal, then diluted 20, 30% one or two hours later, and then pure. This is epoxy impregnation, and a lot will be sucked by this porous wood. After impregnation, inside will be polyurethane varnished or painted, depending on areas. Silly thing is that much of the bilge has been abusively "fiber-glassed", using 50 gallons of West system epoxy! No real harm but useless waste of material!

Outside will have "West System" epoxy barrier coating and light fiberglass sheathing up to deck line, as will last deck plywood. Hull will later be polyurethane painted (Awlgrip system). Never change a winning team!
              Last edited by Lucky Luke; 11-03-2009, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Larks
                Larks
                • Jul 2007

I'm not really that familiar with the whole vaccum process but from what I have seen over a foam core I don't think there is a need to encapsulate the whole hull. I think you could do one side at a time, though the bracing timbers would get in the road, by covering the epoxied area with peel ply, suction line system over that and then plastic sealed at the edges with what looks like blue tack to create the vaccum seal.

But as you say, I don't know if there is any value in the process with the meranti planking anyway. It may not soak in any more than it would otherwise by normal appication and I guess without an interior "mould" it possably wouldn't vaccum that well anyway.
                Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• Saltiguy
                  • Feb 2008

Amazing!
                  Thanks again

Comment

• Lucky Luke
                    • Jan 2003

DECKING:

The first layer of decking (let's call it the "under-deck") was on at the time of this party, and the owner, Derek, could proudly stand on it....not for long alas, as the continuation of the story will show you later...!

This under-deck was made of 18mm. meranti. The bulwark (which was not to going be there for long either...) had been planked, and a stringer added at half height.

Looking smart, for sure!:

Comment

• Lucky Luke
                      • Jan 2003

Below deck is equally good looking, with the varnished laminated beams and superb carved knees, made of old rosewood (from typhoon fallen trees, years before).

Here is the aft cabin, looking aft:

The salon, looking aft, showing the main mast knees between reinforced frames and beams:

And those at the main mast-hole:

Comment

• Larks
                        Larks
                        • Jul 2007

not for long alas, as the continuation of the story will show you later...
                        I shudder to think what is coming
                        Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Comment

• Lucky Luke
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Larks
                          I shudder to think what is coming
                          ...and you are right!

But before discovering the "unpleasantnesses", we discussed, with Derek about increasing the size of the flush deck area in front of the main mast , providing deck space for large dining table over the skylight, or for eventual dinghies (or jet-skis...) each side. You can see here that space is rather tight for large parties on sistership "Tree of Life".

Derek also wished to have a direct access to the aft cabin from the wheelhouse instead of through the passageway on Starboard along the engine room (please refer to the GA on first page of this thread), which would rather be converted into a laundry (mind that this boat is intended for eventual charter). This meant lengthening the wheelhouse aft in order to provide space for a companionway down to that aft cabin.

Then we did some renders to show how this extended wheelhouse and shortened roof would look like:

Compared with original "Tree of Life:

The counter had, fortunately, been slightly extended too as the transom had been built less vertical, and as all was looking good, it was agreed to destroy part of the first deck layer in order to do these modifications.

Here is the original deck structure:

And the re-designed one, showing the deck space that had been gained. Some below floor space was lost, but this allowed also to have the whole salon/ dining/ galley at the same level:

At least, we would also be able to rectify a quite funny mistake: the structure for the companionway from the wheelhouse down to the salon had been ...forgotten!!!. It should have been aft of the main mast hole, just besides the opening for the passageway (picture shows aft salon bulkhead, looking aft to Starboard side)

Last edited by Lucky Luke; 11-03-2009, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Lucky Luke
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Lucky Luke
                            please refer to the GA on first page of this thread
                            Sorry, I forgot this was not clearly visible on the posted G.A.: this passageway between salon and aft cabin is below the quarter berth, which is in the wheelhouse, on Starboard.

Comment

• RFNK
                              Port Stephens, Australia
                              • Feb 2007

So Luc, the nice looking deck we saw earlier was altered because the owner changed his preferences or was there something else as well? What structure do you mean was forgotten? Is the structure a bulkhead, some sort of pillar arrangement, a ring frame or something else?

By the way Luc, I had a look around to see if I could find a Fein Multimaster in VN as I thought it may be cheaper than in Oz. The only supplier, I think, is in HCMC and the price for the Fein MM ... Top kit is 244EUR. This compares well with prices in Oz but perhaps not with prices in la France (?). Anyway, I think it's a pretty handy tool for boatbuilding so I thought I'd mention it. They're delivering one to me in Ha Noi in a week or so.

STILL no sign of me getting out of Ha Noi for a while although i have a trip to Hue coming up soon.

Rick
                              Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• Saltiguy
                                • Feb 2008

Thanks once again for this wonderful thread!

Comment

Working...