• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WX
    Uki NSW Australia
    • Feb 2002

Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Originally posted by RFNK
    I appreciate the thought Tom but .... I don't want a marina in front of our place!!!!

Rick
    Agreed.
    Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• brucemoffatt
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Phil Y
      I always look at houses in Tasmania. I think everyone does. Stumbled across a little waterfront cottage on 5 acres not 500 yards row from our mooring at Port Huon. Asking 250,000.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Suitable for small orchard and bees??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Comment

• WX
        Uki NSW Australia
        • Feb 2002

I always look at houses in Tasmania. I think everyone does. Stumbled across a little waterfront cottage on 5 acres not 500 yards row from our mooring at Port Huon. Asking 250,000.

That would be sweet but I don’t know if I could handle the winters.

Comment

• Phil Y
          Banned
          • Apr 2010

It was certainly cold down there. The real estate blurb on that property is classic. Beautiful waterfront lifestyle opportunity, bask on the deck watching the world pass by on the river etc etc. The reality is a little different. At least 1/3 of the property is actual swamp. The remainder is OK. Pasture and a bit of scrub. I'm not sure whether the river is really accessible, it might just be from the far south east corner, as far from the house as you can get. The house is a complete wreck. And very close to the road. You'd want to check for traffic before opening the screen door. Well not quite but it's pretty close and you'd certainly notice the logging trucks passing by. You could reclad the house in colourbond, insulate it, re-roof it, gyprock all the internal walls and do a new kitchen and bathroom. But it would still be on the roadside. Then remove and start again with the various outhouses, chook sheds and fencing. Then do some thoughtful landscaping and planting. Maybe a boardwalk over some of the wetland would be nice. But the house would still be on the road. So maybe you'd want to knock the house down, or gut it and keep it as a shed/workshop, and build a new house near the river, amongst the trees, back in the south eastern corner. But I reckon I've just spent the better part of $500,000.00 at a minimum. $750,000 if we want more than a minimal house on the place. Not quite the bargain I started out with. But it could still be a good investment. There aren't that many properties with direct water access.

Comment

• RFNK
            Port Stephens, Australia
            • Feb 2007

I wouldn't want to be on that road. But despite the winter fogs and temperatures, I would like to live in the Huon Valley.

But, anyway, who cares? We actually won the rugby! I've pinched myself six times so I know I'm not dreaming!

Rick
            Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• WX
              Uki NSW Australia
              • Feb 2002

It was certainly cold down there. The real estate blurb on that property is classic. Beautiful waterfront lifestyle opportunity, bask on the deck watching the world pass by on the river etc etc. The reality is a little different. At least 1/3 of the property is actual swamp. The remainder is OK. Pasture and a bit of scrub. I'm not sure whether the river is really accessible, it might just be from the far south east corner, as far from the house as you can get. The house is a complete wreck. And very close to the road. You'd want to check for traffic before opening the screen door. Well not quite but it's pretty close and you'd certainly notice the logging trucks passing by. You could reclad the house in colourbond, insulate it, re-roof it, gyprock all the internal walls and do a new kitchen and bathroom. But it would still be on the roadside. Then remove and start again with the various outhouses, chook sheds and fencing. Then do some thoughtful landscaping and planting. Maybe a boardwalk over some of the wetland would be nice. But the house would still be on the road. So maybe you'd want to knock the house down, or gut it and keep it as a shed/workshop, and build a new house near the river, amongst the trees, back in the south eastern corner. But I reckon I've just spent the better part of $500,000.00 at a minimum. $750,000 if we want more than a minimal house on the place. Not quite the bargain I started out with. But it could still be a good investment. There aren't that many properties with direct water access.

How high above the water table is it? If there is swamp then it can’t be much.

Comment

• Phil Y
                Banned
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by WX
                How high above the water table is it? If there is swamp then it can’t be much.
                It's riverside, and a lot of the river down there is bordered by marshy swamp. Also slightly tidal, underwater at high tide. The other 2/3 of the property is fine, it is kind of hilly, probably rising to I guess 10 metres above water level.

Last edited by Phil Y; 08-10-2019, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• RFNK
                  Port Stephens, Australia
                  • Feb 2007

It's a shame about the road. I wonder how deep that channel (?) in front of the property is?

Rick
                  Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• Phil Y
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2010

Looks navigable to me. By dinghy. I doubt a keel boat would get up there, never even crossed my mind in fact. Hmmmm, I wonder.

Comment

• WX
                      Uki NSW Australia
                      • Feb 2002

Jesus H! 12345, don't forget to breathe, 678910.....I've dropped a piece of firewood on my toe!

Comment

• WX
                        Uki NSW Australia
                        • Feb 2002

It's riverside, and a lot of the river down there is bordered by marshy swamp. Also slightly tidal, underwater at high tide. The other 2/3 of the property is fine, it is kind of hilly, probably rising to I guess 10 metres above water level.

A childhood dream...a lad could have a lot of fun there.

Comment

• auscruisertom
                          • Mar 2011

Looks navigable to me. By dinghy. I doubt a keel boat would get up there, never even crossed my mind in fact. Hmmmm, I wonder.

Interesting if that channel is navigable it might be easy to dredge a channel up to the property given there are not to many environmental or neighbouring concerns.
                          Who knows it may be a suitable marina location given future needs combined with someone who is able to exploit legal loopholes or able to lobby in order to get such a project of the ground.

Comment

• brucemoffatt
                            • Apr 2012

Navionics thinks there's very little depth there, half a metre all the way back to the marina in that channel. There could be a bit of a channel in the middle. Worth checking, just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Comment

• Phil Y
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2010

Half a metre is enough for a tinny and outboard to get down to the mooring.

Comment

• Phil Y
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by WX
                                A childhood dream...a lad could have a lot of fun there.
                                More proof that my development stalled at about 12.

Comment

Working...