X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TR
    Boat Designer
    • Oct 2001

Re: PNW Inside Passage - small full displacement power cruiser

Actually the "no feet" remark was aimed at berths that come to point....well my feet are size 13 and there's two of em.....they need space, and if they don't get it I am some cranky in the morning. I do applaud those who admit their bunks are less than 6' long, but I can only shake my head at Ranger tugs where they craftily pile pillows in the bow bunk so you can't see there's no foot room up there.....Also "Full Headroom" to me means 6'4" minimum under the beams....I rarely see that.....Billy Atkin thought full headroom was 5'10" under the beams....but he was a little guy.......
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

Comment

• High Altitude
      • May 2007

I noticed this also. If the measurement is to the tip of the berth against the stem, you might as well subtract a foot or so to come to the actual useable length.

Originally posted by TR
      Actually the "no feet" remark was aimed at berths that come to point....well my feet are size 13 and there's two of em.....they need space, and if they don't get it I am some cranky in the morning. I do applaud those who admit their bunks are less than 6' long, but I can only shake my head at Ranger tugs where they craftily pile pillows in the bow bunk so you can't see there's no foot room up there.....Also "Full Headroom" to me means 6'4" minimum under the beams....I rarely see that.....Billy Atkin thought full headroom was 5'10" under the beams....but he was a little guy.......

Comment

• High Altitude
        • May 2007

Looks like a nice design and I have no doubt it would be completely functional and do everything I need, but I am not really sold on the rounded transom/tug boat look.

It is starting to look like I am going to have to make some compromises since there isn't one plan out there that really has exactly what I am looking for.

Originally posted by JimD
        The line of Hankinson/Sorensen tugs are worth a look, too, plans available on the Glen-L site:

Goliath 18.5:

Glen-L's Bo Jest 18

Comment

• High Altitude
          • May 2007

Originally posted by TR
          The addition of an outboard well to the already complex build of a TimberCoast Troller 22 would be a big change.
          Tad,

What do you mean by saying the Timbercoast Troller 22 is a "complex build"? Is it a difficult design to build?

Comment

• JimD
            Senior Mumbler
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by High Altitude
            Looks like a nice design and I have no doubt it would be completely functional and do everything I need, but I am not really sold on the rounded transom/tug boat look.

It is starting to look like I am going to have to make some compromises since there isn't one plan out there that really has exactly what I am looking for.
            Bo Jest has neither a rounded transom or a tug look, and recommended power is only 10 hp. Also, with this and many of these boats you can take considerable liberties with cabin design. Twer it me, I would likely go for Paul Fisher's Rufus 22 with a soft dodger style cabin for the rear cockpit. Sam Devlin's Dunlin is extraordinarily good looking, but seems to prefer a considerably larger power plant.
            There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Comment

• Graham Mackay
              • Jun 2005

Hi Jim,
              As a relative neighbour, Heriot Bay, Quadra Island, I thought I'd mention the boat that I am currently building as a contender for this category: namely my Glen-L 'HERCULES" semi-displacement trawler. I hope to be launching in 2012.
              Graham

Comment

• JimD
                Senior Mumbler
                • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Graham Mackay
                Hi Jim,
                As a relative neighbour, Heriot Bay, Quadra Island, I thought I'd mention the boat that I am currently building as a contender for this category: namely my Glen-L 'HERCULES" semi-displacement trawler. I hope to be launching in 2012.
                Graham
                Graham, that's quite a project. Cathy (Mrs JimD) and I might make it up to Quadra sometime late fall, early winter, depending on how things go.

One version of a Hercules:

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Comment

• TR
                  Boat Designer
                  • Oct 2001

Originally posted by High Altitude
                  Tad,

What do you mean by saying the Timbercoast Troller 22 is a "complex build"? Is it a difficult design to build?
                  Every boat is a complex build, but it depends what you're used to. To a good level of finish the TimberCoast 22 will require 2-3000 man hours of construction labour, probably three times the hours required to build a stitch-n-tape 18'.

To build the TimberCoast......(short version)

1) No lofting required
                  2) Build the strong back
                  3) cut out and erect the ply bulkheads
                  4) laminate stem & stern post and erect.
                  5) laminate inner keel, deadwood and shaft log and erect.
                  6) Install chine log and sheer clamp
                  7) Install longitudinal stringers.
                  8) Fair the frame
                  9) scarf and install bottom and topside ply sheathing
                  10) Sheath entire hull with dynel or glass cloth
                  11) Fair again
                  12) prime
                  13) paint
                  14) turn upright
                  15) Remove strongback
                  16) Tape bulkheads to hull sheathing
                  17) install floors and engine beds
                  18) prime and paint

That's 20% of the construction completed. Now you have sole and deck framing, sheathing with ply and glass of same, trunk cabin, trunk top, pilothouse, PH top, windows and door, interior, tanks, systems (electrical and plumbing), engine installation, steering, rigging and spars, exterior trim, deck fittings....and so on.

Comment

• Mike Vogdes
                    • Jan 2000

I am a huge Devlin fan, and of the designs you picked for yourself I like the litl coot best. You don't mention the budget but I would think that design would cost quite a bit to build. CMD Yachts has some nice designs and the standard 18 Redwing was always one of my favorites. http://www.cmdboats.com/rw18.htm?car...2c90dec49d846b Although they have other suitable designs for what you have in mind.

Comment

• TR
                      Boat Designer
                      • Oct 2001

Doing some quick scaling of another boat I came up with a 19'6" by 7'6" full displacement boat with full headroom (6'3" minimum). This boat gets decent sole width only 2" above the hull bottom because there is a central flat strake (dory style, but this is no dory). By having the cabin sole as low as possible we keep the boat from looking too tall and ungainly(IMO).

Comment

• Wavewacker
                        • Jul 2011

Would that sole be high enough to provide room for plumbing or does it run along the sides? Looks good!

What would the power requirements be for that design Tad?

Comment

• TR
                          Boat Designer
                          • Oct 2001

Originally posted by Wavewacker
                          Would that sole be high enough to provide room for plumbing or does it run along the sides? Looks good!

What would the power requirements be for that design Tad?
                          Typically the water tank (should there be one) will be under the berth which extends from about where our intrepid crewman is standing to about 2.5' aft of the tip of the stem. What the heck let's make the berth 7' long. The aft section under the berth will have the pottie on center and storage P&S. Next forward will be a 20 gallon plastic water tank. If I was flush I would build in two stock (ronco type) plastic fuel tanks under the cockpit sole. That would give one lots of capacity for truly long range, they could be anywhere from 10 to 30 gallons.

At any rate the plumbing from water tank to sink will be well above sole and a direct connection through the bulkhead. Other than a bilge pump pickup there should be nothing in the bilge.

For power I'm suggesting 8HP as the minimum, and the Yamaha 8HP High-Thrust as a decent choice. Beyond that I'll say about 25HP is the max but about 15HP is the most she can use and that is mostly digging a hole. 6.5 knots is about as fast as she'll efficiently cruise.

Comment

• stephenlneal
                            • Sep 2011

Has no one mentioned Blue Jacket Boats? Worth a look!

Comment

• High Altitude
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by stephenlneal
                              Has no one mentioned Blue Jacket Boats? Worth a look!
                              http://www.bluejacketboats.com/
                              It has been mentioned in other threads, but we are mostly talking about full (some semi) displacement hulls in this thread.

Looks like a great design though.

Comment

• goodbasil
                                Basil
                                • Feb 2005

Do you have to build?
                                You say you prefer larger designs.
                                Here is a 30' Monk for sale, with a great big easy chair to sit in in case your engine goes kaput and you have to wait for a tow.
                                Only five large as Tony would say.
                                Last edited by goodbasil; 09-26-2011, 02:42 AM.
                                basil

Comment

Working...