Small boat trailer design w/light suspension, folding, good support?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thorne
    Like my hat?
    • Aug 2005

Small boat trailer design w/light suspension, folding, good support?

Inspired by another thread here, I was wondering what we can (or already have) design for a quality home-built boat trailer?

Requirements:
    1. No welding or heavy machinery processing (like pipe bending)
    2. Reliable/commercial axle, bearings, with stock wheels
    3. Suspension for boats under 500lbs possibly under 350lbs
    4. Length & support for 12-18' wooden hull

Optional "nice to have" elements:
    a. Folding or removable tongue
    b. Rustproof in part
    c. Minimal height for easy launch/retrieval
    d. 12" wheels for better long-distance towing

I've never read the Glen-L book on building wood-frame trailers, and am not too sure how the DMV would like that, but am willing to consider all or partial wood frame elements.

Not willing to consider torsion axles, or suspension systems rated for 1000+lbs, both of which seem to be the only lightweight ones readily available from Northern Tool and other major retailers. I've owned an old Holsclaw and loved the coil-spring & auto shock suspension, so something similar would be wonderful!

The folding or removable tongue system needs to be bombproof - I have no interest in trailers that might put the boat and/or other motorists at risk.

I understand that commercial trailers exist with all or most of these elements, but prices are usually well over $1200 for the Trailex aluminum models with spare tire, winch stand and winch. Bunks would have to be purchased and installed separately.

Last edited by Thorne; 01-14-2011, 03:59 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.
  • dredbob
    dis-Member
    • Oct 2004

Re: Small boat trailer design w/light suspension, folding, good support?

Assuming you can find an acceptable spring/axle assembly, something like the Kee Klamp or Nurail or other structural pipe fittings might be something to look at using. I'm sure the standard set screws would have to be replaced with something that could stand rattling down the road, but the strengths of the fittings are probably up to the job, using say 2 inch pipe or bigger.

Bob

Comment

• Dave Wright
      • Jul 2002

I'm guessing you want a very lightweight trailer. I think it might be problematic to specify "Reliable/commercial axle, bearings, with stock wheels," at least as we commonly think of them. It would be nice to have a very lightweight trailer for a very lightweight (say 350 pound) boat, but stock hardware tends to be heavy. Maybe what we're really searching for is very economical, lightweight but durable rolling parts. The Yakima Rack and Roll seems to do this but at an unacceptably high price. I guess I'd be searching for similar rolling parts at reasonable cost. Aluminum frame members are cheap and easy to work up.

Apple products have always been silly expensive,
      no one told anyone to buy an iPhone, there are plenty fine cheep non apple cell phones.

Comment

• gibetheridge
        • Mar 2010

If the main spar were made of wood, hollow, thru bolted and glued and with a solid telescoping inner spar it would facilitate launching at shallow launches.

Comment

• Thorne
          Like my hat?
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by gibetheridge
          If the main spar were made of wood, hollow, thru bolted and glued and with a solid telescoping inner spar it would facilitate launching at shallow launches.
          It wouldn't be remotely strong enough to handle the weight and forces of trailering unless it was massively thick! Please be serious here, I'm looking for a functional and safe design, hopefully for those who have very limited storage space or equally limited budgets - but still want a quality safe way to transport and launch their wooden boats.

Building a removable metal tongue is relatively easy - just get a 3' collar cut from the next largest size of pipe or square metal tubing (to match the existing tongue), drill and bolt it permanently to one end of the tongue, use big SS bolts to attach it temporarily to the other end, with lock washers and/or safety pin.

As for something like the Yakima trailer, that would be great if we could source the parts separately. But I'm concerned that the Yakima frame support / suspension design (only rated for 250lbs) might encourage 'hopping' on rough roads -- same problem with torsion suspension, as I can attest that it is VERY bad about hopping unless loaded within 60-80% of max weight.

My Aeroflow trailer has torsion suspension, and is scary to tow empty as it will do repeated 3' vertical hops on bad freeway sections. It but handles a near-max load very nicely.

Here are some photos from riversailor.com of his Holsclaw suspension-
          Last edited by Thorne; 01-14-2011, 04:06 PM.
          "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
          Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Comment

• Dave Wright
            • Jul 2002

Look, you have to be pragmatic about this. Evaluate how many miles you will ACTUALLY use the lightweight boat trailer. Chances are the usage will be minimal. The Yakima Rack and Roll weighs 150 pounds and only carries 250 pounds and is ridiculously high in price.. You search for lightweight rolling stock versus price and availability and there's only one rational conclusion for light weight use, low cost and general availability: Use 8 inch wheels and tires.

Get this to start, 151 pounds weight, 600 pounds capacity and $330: http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ires-5002.html

Remember, once you get the trailer license and title you can modify or upgrade it virtually anyway you want with no hassle from the authorities. Easier than starting from scratch and getting title and registration - I've been that route. Best wishes.

Apple products have always been silly expensive,
            no one told anyone to buy an iPhone, there are plenty fine cheep non apple cell phones.

Comment

• Todd Bradshaw
              Sailmaker
              • Jun 2000

Actually, that would be MY Holsclaw suspension....only at the moment it's sitting out next to the garage with the iceboat on it instead of the kayak cradles. If you want views that are detailed enough to build one from, they're in the "Holsclaw" folder here:

Save them to your computer if you want copies, as things tend to come and go when I need space on the website. It's a superb trailer and nothing using leaf springs will ever even be remotely close when it comes to a smooth, quiet ride. Does the Yakima really weigh 150 lbs? I'd be surprised if mine weighs much more than that. I can pick it up if I have to move it sideways. Back when I used to sell them, the capacity on most of the Holsclaws in that size range was 500-600 lbs. but we haven't put that much weight on it. So far over the years we've used it for a Sunfish, a Speedball (like a Laser II), a 12' Avon sportboat with an 18hp Nissan on the back, the iceboat (maybe 150 lbs.) and the kayaks (two singles and a double) or sometimes two singles and my Old Town Guide canoe, totalling 160-180 lbs. It's worked great for all of them and you literally have to keep reminding yourself that you're pulling a trailer because it's so quiet. When was the last time you had to do that with leaf springs?

We see a couple of those gorgeous light aluminum trailers with motorcycle wheels every year at the big canoe shows, but a couple grand for a little trailer is far more than I'd ever spend on one.

Comment

• Nicholas Scheuer
                • Aug 2006

I've modified several trailers that I've bought cheap. They usually turned out comparatively heavy, but the price was an acceptable tradeoff.

IMHO Dave Wright has the best approach posted here. That trailer is cheap, and it'll transport a light boat very well. What's not to like?

If you want something else, settle on the running gear first, then design around that. Starting with the suspension and wheels will settle the question of coil springs or leaf, and leaf for-n-aft or transverse. You can't design a frame without choosing suspension first.

Comment

• John Turpin
                  • May 2005

This is my winter project. Around here, finding an acceptable boat trailer is difficult. Last year, I gave up and bought a used trailer that probably should have gone under a heavy bass boat instead of my little wooden sailboat. The thing weighs a ton. So, I've been keeping an eye out for better trailers. About a month ago, I found an ad on Craigslist for an aluminum trailer. When I went to see it, it turned out to be a Trailex Ultralight boat trailer of unknown age. This is the company that makes the trailers at the very top of this thread. This trailer is all aluminum channel that's bolted together with plates and special channel T-bolts. It's perfect for what I need and is a much better match for my light boat. I've replaced the lights and winch and bunks. I'm also replacing the light axle and 12" wheels with a 2000# axle and 13" wheels/tires. When I get done, I should have a pretty nice little aluminum trailer. But, these things sure are hard to find; at least around here.
                  www.svbluepeter.com

Comment

• Keith Wilson
                    Trying to be reasonable
                    • Oct 1999

I've converted two of these for small boat trailers, using a long steel tube for an extended tongue and wooden homemade bunks. Their main virtue is that they're very cheap ($180) and easily modified (all bolt-together). Wheels and bearings are standard trailer stuff. The springs aren't too awful if you take out one of the two leaves, but it bangs and rattles and will never be as nice as the coil spring/shock absorber arrangement above. It will rust even in fresh water, but slowly. There are many nicer trailers, but few cheaper; not bad if you aren't a perfectionist.
                    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
                    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• Rob Hazard
                      • Sep 2003

One of your criteria for this trailer is foldability. Why? Where is the boat when you fold up your trailer?

Comment

• Breakaway
                        • Mar 2007

He mentioned a swinging or removable tongue, which some prefer because it shortens the whole package, making it easier to store.

Kevin
                        There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• rkeller
                          Whitehall builder
                          • Jun 2009

Hi Thorne:
                          I saw something similar to what you are talking about. It was a small wooden trailer with narrow motorcycle wire rims/tires and curved metal fenders with torsion bars instead of leaf springs. It was homemade and gorgeous. The owner was an aircraft mechanic who said even small leaf springs were to "springy" for his small wooden boat (approx 15') and would bounce it around too much. The torsion bars were L shaped round metal bars and the wood was two spruce bent spar looking pieces that swept back from the hitch point arcing nicely to the axle then on to another curved wooden tailpiece. It looked simple and elegant.
                          I google searched for something similar but found nothing. If I could source some nice inexpensive lightweight spoked wheels I'd give it a go, especially for a lightweight boat.
                          Good Luck.
                          Russ

Comment

• Lewisboater
                            Obsessed member
                            • May 2010

I'll second the harbor freight one...I have one and it works very well. Changed the tires to the larger high flotation ones to give the bearings a break but I have used it for oh...5 years now with the only issue being I used those stupid supplied crimp taps instead of wiring it properly...but wiring never seems to last more than a few years anyways.
                            Steve Lewis
                            Formerly Lewisboats (don't try to change your email address!)

http://angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks

Comment

• slidercat
                              • Jul 2008

I used a Harbor Freight trailer for several years, but even though I always rinsed it after each launch into salt water, it eventually rusted into uselessness. So I kept my eyes open and eventually found a used galvanized trailer for a couple hundred bucks.

These trailers seem to vary a lot. Mine is very hefty, but a guy who built a Slider sister ship found a johnboat trailer that was narrow enough that the hulls sit outside the wheels, so that he can use a much shallower ramp than I can. A johnboat trailer would probably be more suitable for those light boats, and often you can find a johnboat and trailer for very little money.
                              Ray

http://slidercat.com/blog/wordpress

sigpic

Comment

Working...