X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WX
    Uki NSW Australia
    • Feb 2002

Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Well it’s raining again so no earning any boat money today. On the bright side it means a day in the shed.
    Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• Phil Y
      Banned
      • Apr 2010

Bloody cold here. About 11C but feels like 5 with the wind. I was going to put down my first coat of deck paint, but by the time I got 100 feet of reluctant masking tape off the edges, and put another 130 odd feet on around the edges and cabins, I figured not enough time for the paint to go off before the evening dew. So I did the masking tape battle and then set about flushing the cockpit sides and floor. Painting tomorrow and Wednesday, hopefully a degree or so warmer and not so much wind.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Geftb
        Good Enough For the Bush
        • Aug 2017

Norglass advised me you want the last coat on by 11 am in the winter. Polyurethane absorbs moisture during the drying process and the dew will get in and cause bubbles later.

Comment

• Phil Y
          Banned
          • Apr 2010

Zactly

Comment

• RFNK
            Port Stephens, Australia
            • Feb 2007

A few years ago, we, sort of notionally, discussed the idea of having a Mirror regatta. To make it happen, we'd all have to find, buy, steal or borrow a Mirror, get them sailing, and choose a meeting/sailing place - the Haul of Mirrors. So far we've accumulated ……. two Mirrors. I have one, Duncan has one and …. Bruce sold his So, it's not quite the America's Cup but at least it's cheaper. I only have about 500 other projects happening but I still think we ought to pursue this one. So, someone ought to help by buying this https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-i...ghy/1222247786 which looks like a real bargain! If you need me to go and look at it, if you're really serious, then I can because it's close to my outlaws' place. No, I don't know the boat or the people and haven't seen the boat. I have nowhere to put another boat and would probably be murdered if I bought another one - which would only be worth it if it was a really good Moth.

Rick
            Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• RFNK
              Port Stephens, Australia
              • Feb 2007

Yes please! So that's three! Great!

Rick
              Rick

Comment

• Phil Y
                Banned
                • Apr 2010

I'd better keep working on my deck.

Comment

• RFNK
                  Port Stephens, Australia
                  • Feb 2007

Time for reflection is valuable though, don't you think? Mirrors are very good for that.

Rick
                  Rick

Comment

• Phil Y
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2010

Enough opportunity for that on the boat.

Comment

• Phil Y
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2010

Actually aHaul of Mirrors would be fun and I'd love to take part, but I think I'm a bit over committed on holidays at the moment. If it's next year some time I could be a starter.

Comment

• RFNK
                        Port Stephens, Australia
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Phil Y
                        Actually aHaul of Mirrors would be fun and I'd love to take part, but I think I'm a bit over committed on holidays at the moment. If it's next year some time I could be a starter.

Well, it certainly won't be this year! Next year possibly but the following year is more likely ….

Rick
                        Rick

Comment

• Phil Y
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2010

Well that could work

Comment

• brucemoffatt
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by RFNK
                            Well, it certainly won't be this year! Next year possibly but the following year is more likely ….

Rick

It's good to have a plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Comment

• 62816inBerlin
                              Landlocked in Berlin
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by RFNK
                              A few years ago, we, sort of notionally, discussed the idea of having a Mirror regatta. To make it happen, we'd all have to find, buy, steal or borrow a Mirror, get them sailing, and choose a meeting/sailing place - the Haul of Mirrors. So far we've accumulated ……. two Mirrors. I have one, Duncan has one and …. Bruce sold his So, it's not quite the America's Cup but at least it's cheaper. I only have about 500 other projects happening but I still think we ought to pursue this one. So, someone ought to help by buying this https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-i...ghy/1222247786 which looks like a real bargain! If you need me to go and look at it, if you're really serious, then I can because it's close to my outlaws' place. No, I don't know the boat or the people and haven't seen the boat. I have nowhere to put another boat and would probably be murdered if I bought another one - which would only be worth it if it was a really good Moth.

Rick
                              Dear Friends Down Under,
                              I fully appreciate your problem, but think it's just that you're on the wrong platform for this issue. There are oodles of Mirrorists in a Facebook group called "People who love Mirror sailing dinghies" and many of them are in Oz. If some of you who happen to be in that group advertise the "Haul of Mirrors" idea there, you'd probably get more boats together. After all there is an active Mirrorist racing community in Australia.
                              Here in Germany that's never been the case and the Mirroristi are an endangered species so that I was delighted to be able to assemble a microfleet of three boats (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...72#post5565872) last year.
                              This year, we'd planned to meet in Woudsend, Netherlands and four had expressed an intention to come. The weather turned crummy and in the end (too much wind most of the time, see photo), I was the lone Mirrorist and in one of just two boats that actually got to sail on one day. We spent the rest of the time sightseeing.
                              Here's wishing you all success in getting a BIG HAUL going.

Comment

• Phil Y
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2010

Yes I think there might be a Mirror fan club or two Downunder. But If I'm not mistaken the Mirror here is the vehicle rather than the object of the excercise. The object being something of an on water EBS if you will. Mirrors are cheap and available and could be a great vehicle for our little Antipodean group to get together for a day or 3 and have a bit of fun on the water.

Comment

Working...