Thread: Hydraulic Stick Steering

Default Hydraulic Stick Steering

I'm really trying to find a hydraulic stick shift system for my small flat bottom outboard boat. I envision a stick to the port and controls to the starboard, the purpose being to open up the middle of the boat and avoid center console obstruction. Regular teleflex, etc system just not good enough for me...too much force required to steer. Any help would be most appreciated.

Alternatively, I am looking at just positioning a hydraulic steering wheel on the port side with a ball grip, but a stick would be more practical.

Default Re: Hydraulic Stick Steering

You want hydraulic stick steering? I got your hydraulic stick steering... in four locations! (Our trials Captain, Delbé, has his left hand on the stick...)

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I used regular plastic coated steering wire and pulleys for "axe handle steering" in my 18' flat bottomed well skiff. Worked find with the 25hp Johnson... just enough friction so you could let go of the stick.

Any thoughts on adapting a regular marine hydraulic steering hub using gear reduction so that a 180 degree travel of the steering stick would equate to complete left to right travel of steering linkage. Any engineer care to specualte whether the force required to do this would not be practical.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    You want hydraulic stick steering? I got your hydraulic stick steering... in four locations! (Our trials Captain, Delbé, has his left hand on the stick...)

This if "fly by wire" hydraulic steering..seeing more of this in automobiles, large vessels, and heavy equipment applications. Prohibitively expensive for a crawfish skiff.

Have you considered this hardware? http://www.ezyglide.com/ It's used in jonboats around these parts.
    Simmons18

dguidry, I suspect that you could buy a new crawfish skiff - or three - with the money that the steering system of the fireboat cost.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Simmons18 View Post
    Have you considered this hardware? http://www.ezyglide.com/ It's used in jonboats around these parts.
    Simmons18
    This is still cable driven. Now, if they would only make a hydraulic model i'd be happy.

You just need regular good old stick steering. The hydraulic portion is typically unnecessary for a small outboard. Just remember to watch out for logs as I have seen more than one good old boy go for a ride when hitting a dead head.

Check out this fly by wire system:

http://www.tecnautic.com/public/broc...0E/fadec_e.pdf

I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    dguidry, I suspect that you could buy a new crawfish skiff - or three - with the money that the steering system of the fireboat cost.
    Prolly so, but the important thing would be that I would have it and every craw fisherman in Louisiana would want one to make harvesting deep water crawfish easier.