Thread: Any Plywood Landing Craft Designs out there?

Default Any Plywood Landing Craft Designs out there?

I've been googling like crasy, and searching here and all I can come up with is old references, dead links but no plans out there for a beach landing craft. There's lots out there for aluminum construction like this guy:

This is pretty much what I'm interested in, but slightly bigger and for plywood construction. I'd want a payload to be able to haul a full sized vehicle plus. Say 10,000 lbs. I know its about as simple a design as can be but I'd prefer to find some plans for wood construction with an acredited designer's name to it. Any ideas???

Default Re: Any Plywood Landing Craft Designs out there?

I think you may have to approach it from the opposite direction. Start with the accredited designer and have him/her design what you need.

Any garvey can be made with a fold-down bow transom. Check the Crosby version. Nothing the intelligent amateur can't figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyD from BC View Post
    I'd want a payload to be able to haul a full sized vehicle plus. Say 10,000 lbs.
    Nothing the intelligent amateur can't figure out.
    A plywood transom you can drive a truck over....reminds me of the "who needs a naval architect" thread.

The old military landing craft were plywood. They were built and probably designed by the Higgins company out of New Orleans, I believe.

Look in 'Boats and Harbors' for an old wooden LCVP. Higgins design and they were made in wood and some in glass. 36' LOA and sized to carry one vehicle. Std power is 6-71. draft at stern is about 36". You can drop the armor plat off the sides easily and decrease draft and increase payload and stability. At least they would give you something to look at that is similar to your target. Hulls were white oak center line with bronze fastening and upper framing used a lot of fir with galv fastening and bottom was double diagonal mahogany and an oak plank pad on the bottom where the bow grounds out. Side are plywood. Bronze rubbing bands on bottom of keel. Mine was built in Michigan. I suspect the building contracts were spread out all over the USA. Will fit on a semi flat bed to haul and hard to beat unless you just want to build something new.

4-sale in FL $10K on 5-wheel trailer:
    http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...-LCVP-92838407

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCVP

http://www.insidelst.com/LCVP.htm

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/...urfskill-3.htm

http://www.ncmaritime.org/exhibits/LCVP.htm
    Last edited by George Ray; 07-08-2009 at 06:48 PM.

I confess the term "slightly larger" and the picture distracted me from the notion of packing a five ton truck aboard. More than doubling the beam means something a bit more than slightly larger.

But in whatever size - plenty of professionally designed garveys capeable of carrying a light jeep or small off-road for getting out to the research station on the island - the ramp is obviously not just a fold-down piece of bow built to those scantlings. Even the little Crosby that's meant to be walked over has a bit more on the ramp than the hull panels.

I should perhaps have been a bit more clear that while there are lots of creative ways to engineer the loading ramp and spreading the stress of a wheeled load onto the deck, which I do think the intelligent amateur should be able to do, there are aspects of the garvey hull that are so much better designed by a trained NA that if you want something that handles without vices and moves through the water like it's meant to, start with a proper design.

Ian's right. If you are planning on something that will carry a vehicle, you need a properly engineered vessel. I'd forget wood. And I'd definitely forget designing or even building it myself. BTW, the original Higgins LCVP's were only partially built of plywood. A lot of the structure was, IIRC, made of metal. If you can find a plywood LCVP in decent shape, you're going to be very lucky. These were lightly and cheaply built... the ultimate "expendable" craft. (As they used to say, they were built just to GET you onto the BEACH. Getting you back to the ship wasn't a design parameter.) Even to the present day, in modern versions, they are the sort of utility craft that the military beats the crap out of. While they were a drug on the surplus market right after the war (WWII for you kids), there are only six or seven of those original Higgins boats still in existence, all in museums. People bought the surplus ones, sealed up the bow ramps, and turned them into houseboats and whatever. All the early ones are long gone.

Having a bit of first hand exposure to an actively worked commercial LCM, I have to say that these are far more complex craft that might be expected. The devil is in the details and the details are in the bow ramps. The hull structure can't be wracked... you need a solid, fair and tight fit on the seals. Not that the seals are going to solve all your problems, either. They carry fairly sophisticated mechanicals for ramp operation and pumping systems necessary to keep ahead of the necessarily less than watertight ramps. (These aren't absolutely watertight and aren't expected to be, particularly in any sort of seas where the square box hull is prone to flexing.) If any amount of close maneuvering and tight turning is anticipated, you may find you need to modify props and rudders from military issue, not to mention modification of whole power systems for civilian use. (Remember, Uncle Sam doesn't care about the price at the pump or have to worry about "emissions standards!") I don't want to even think about trying to insure one.

Anyway, the challenges of rehabilitating an LC capable of carrying a vehicle for dependable commercial employment are daunting, which is why relatively few are seen in that role, but they ARE gold mines if you are a working waterman. As far as I know, there are only two LCM's on all of SF Bay and Delta. One is on loan to the US Park Service from the DOD and the other, a 1950's era model which was completely rebuilt, is owned by a friend of mine. There are lots of jobs that nothing other than an LC can do. My buddy has used his over the years to ferry lots of redimix cement trucks to islands and other otherwise inaccessible shorelines, run fire trucks to fight wild fires on Angel Island in SF Bay, and all sorts of salvage jobs. In addition, "when the big one hits," as it did when the Exxon Valdez spilled up in Alaska, and the call goes out to anybody who's got one, the skippers can pretty much name their price for a charter. They are easily loaded as deck cargo, as they are designed for that, and are essential for carrying the equipment necessary to clean up oil spills. The insurance company is paying, not to save the environment, but to save on the inevitable fines, and they pay very, very well indeed. Problem is, you have to keep the boat working and profitable between "spills."

Very interesting, useful craft, but, my dear friend, NOT the sort of boat anybody is going to be able to build in his backyard out of plywood. Trust me...
    Last edited by Bob Cleek; 07-08-2009 at 10:42 PM.

56 FOOT LCM (6) LANDING CRAFT (dublin / pleasanton / livermore)

Reply to: sale-tusvx-1260201964@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Date: 2009-07-08, 3:26PM PDT

56 FOOT LCM (LANDING CRAFT) NEW BOTTOM AND ENGINES 2008. HYDRALIC BOW RAMP. FULL SIZE CARGO WELL. ENCLOSED PILOT HOUSE. TWIN 8V71 DETROITS WITH TWIN DISC GEARS. 20KW GEN-SET. 600 GALLONS FUEL. 100 GALLONS WATER. SMALL QUARTERS FOR FOUR. TUNNELS ENLARGED FOR 34 INCH WHEELS. TURN KEY CONDITION. FULL ELECTRONICS. NO PICS YET. EMAIL QUESTIONS.

http://www.scrutonmarine.com/LC2007.htm
    I don't know how current the ad is.
    R
    "Now Ron,don't you do anything stupid!" - Grandma B.

Thanks for all the information so far folks. Its appreciated. And sorry for not getting back for a bit my computer screwed up right after I posted this! Checking in on a borrowed laptop now.

The web is absoloutely full of info on ex military craft and yes, mainly the landing craft that hit the beaches in Normandy etc. Although as said very few of these plywood sided units are still alive, Korean war and later vintage steel units are around but are all a nightmare of rust and patches on patches from what \i see. I'm not interested in any of these.

About 12 years ago I watched a then neighbour build a 40 foot plywood landing craft looking very similar but bigger than the one pictured in post no 1. He installed 2 4 cylinder volvo diesels with outdrives. I talked to him a few days ago to see if his LC was still for sale. The answer was no, as he's getting quite a bit of work for it on the west coast these days. (Story of my life. Could have picked it up for a reasonable cost 5 years ago).

He didn't build from plans but pretty much went off an existing aluminum LC and changed dimensions slightly. He ended up with a 40 foot vessel with about a 14 ft beam. With his plywood planked wood frame vessel which is fairly heavily glassed, he says he can pack 15000lbs. He limits his loads to 12,000lbs which feels more comfortable to him.

So it can be done; build a LC in the backyard (his driveway actually), out of wood, and beefed up with glass. I however am not in to it without plans of some sort. The garvey idea is interesting. Any other hints/ideas are appreciated. Cheers.

Dan

Hey Salty,

You've probably been on this site, but I thought I'd post the link just in case. When I was working aluminum, the shop built several of these designs in various sizes. If I were in the market for a landing craft, I would go aluminum for sure. The boats come all precut, ready to glue together. Build time is fairly short compared to wood. The welding process is not difficult to learn. Welders are inexpensive. The finished product has great resale value. Hiring a lead welder who is willing to teach you the process is an option.

http://www.specmar.com/products.html

That's what I'm talkin 'bout right there ^^

Unfortunately the cost of the aluminum to build that puppy would about kill my idea of a budget for this idea. It is the best way to go though. I get it. ..

Jacques Mertens offers something like what you're looking for;
    here's the link, and a snip from his discription on the study plans
    page (my emphasis added):

"The builder has complete freedom to modify the layout as long as all the
    framing below the deck level is present and some framing above deck.
    See the plans for details. Along the full length of the boat, there is
    storage room under the sole.

The forward cockpit is much higher than the sole and provides ample dry
    storage, accessible from the cabin. As designed, it has sufficient room for
    a patio table and chair set for four. It can also be built with side
    benches and a drop down landing craft type door. The cockpits are
    self bailing and separated from the cabin by a small step and a drop down
    lower door panel. The door can be kept open while under way with the
    cabin protected by the drop panel and the long roof overhang."

You are overlooking the "full size truck plus, say, 10,000 lb."part.
    I don't think Mertens has anything capable of that. The comment you specified was about a walk-thru entry/exit not landing a tank destroyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga Chuck View Post
    You are overlooking the "full size truck plus, say, 10,000 lb."part.
    I don't think Mertens has anything capable of that. The comment you specified was about a walk-thru entry/exit not landing a tank destroyer.
    Chuck;

I admit it doesn't meet all the criteria, but I did say "Mertens offers something like what you're looking for."

Maybe Jacque could develop an expanded version, for a fee of course.

have you considered a barge? with a modest loading ramp?. at least you wouldn't have to invest in motor ,tanks n such. a 16ft tug(the type that logging companys like to use) could be rebuilt at a fraction of the price of new. and probably has a better return on your effort, too!

where do you buy a used barge?

Yes 'waldo I have considered a tug/barge but there's lots of them around here so that market is covered. I think I could drum up a little work to help the cause with a LC though.

Thanks for the links outrigger, I'd never seen that site. Although designed for steel or aluminum this one is interesting to me:

BARGE - BEGA BARGE 32
    LENGTH 32.2'(10.12m)
    LWL UNLADEN 25.9'(7.9m)
    LENGTH CARGO DECK 22'(6.7m)
    BEAM 13.78'(4.2m)
    DISPLACEMENT 6.85 tons
    CAPACITY 7 tons
    POWER Twin Volvo 81-110 hp
    SPPED 15 knots unladen
    SPPED 11 knots laden
    STEEL WEIGHT 8.87 tons

This is a bit small for Salty D, but it might interest others following the thread -

http://www.wolstenholmedesign.com/bowdoorlaunch.htm