Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 567 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoration of a Twister

Default Re: Restoration of a Twister

Is that the bloke I meet while I was visiting that day Greg ?

A pressure wash on Oregon sounds like a horrible idea !!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Is that the bloke I meet while I was visiting that day Greg ?

A pressure wash on Oregon sounds like a horrible idea !!
    I don't remember whether you met him or not Peter, his name is Bill. You met mark who owns Catersons now and he is working on Bills yacht but I don't think it was out at that time
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Glass it on the outside, keep it dry on the inside. Sounds like a winning formula to me Rick.
    Keep It Simple: KISS it better.

Fair enough Rick; sounds perfectly reasonable.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Candyfloss View Post
    Glass it on the outside, keep it dry on the inside. Sounds like a winning formula to me Rick.
    Hope so!
    Rick

Hey Rick, PM me your phone number if you want to talk Flooded Gum.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

We put tin up on the roof of the Twister `shed' recently:

OK, it's not an ideal shed but it's nice and cool and should last long enough.

The other shed's what's been taking most of my spare time lately. It's now looking like this:

And, as we need to have multiple projects in train, the house currently looks like this:

Rick

Hey! You and yours are just like SWIMPAL and I!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

As in, too many projects happening all at once? Probably! Well, the boat shed is now set up pretty much how I want it - all the clutter under it is from the demolition of the bits of the house we're changing, so that's temporary. I will build some steps up to the boat deck too later on. The work shed is set up inside how I want it now - I'll post a picture of that if anyone's interested and over the next few weeks I hope to put some windows in the back wall, set up timber racks outside the back wall, and complete the drainage. The house is a fairly major project - I have a friend who's a builder doing most of the new framing and foundations but I'll be doing all the cladding, finishing and interior, including a new kitchen and upstairs bathroom. But I'm going to do the hpouse and boat in parallel to avoid letting either go for too long and also to avoid getting too sick of the one job. So, once the work shed is finished early next year, then I should be able to start work on the Twister again.

Duncan, I'll come and get the timber from you once I have the racks set up at the back of the shed. This should be in January. However, let me know if you need any help with that timber before that and I'll get up there.

For those who don't know, Duncan's letting me have a stack of flooded gum (for planking), silky oak (for the kitchen in the house) and white mahogany (for floors etc.) from some logs he's having milled. Duncan lives up the road from me, about 400 miles away, so I need to arrange a trailer or truck to get the timber home. It's green so Duncan needs to rack out all the timber he's cutting and I'll need to rack out my part of it back at home.

Rick

It's looking like the end of the week at best to start milling now Rick. We must've had at least 50mm of rain last night and more storms predicted for tonight. The sawyer is still stuck on one job around the corner and can't use his tractor for all the mud. My paddock is as wet as a shag but we have plan B for getting the milled timber out and all the logs, bar the butt log of White Mahogany are set to roll straight into the mill off the gluts.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

No need to hurry on my account Duncan. Pretty wet here today too!
    Rick

No progress to report - just bumping the thread to keep it alive. I have welded together a whole lot of angle iron though, to make racks for the timber I'm planning to pick up from Duncan soon. I'll post a picture of the racks when they're fastened to the back of the shed. Bet you all can't wait for that!!

Rick

Yeah, we keep hearing about all that water, we're promised some of it on sunday I think. I've built a couple more sandbag weirs in the creek just especially.

rick
    now i have shed envy!
    what a beauty!

Yeah I like his shed as well...not mention what he has in it.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Thanks! This is an inside out shot of the shed.

Rick

You have great light in the shed Rick. I need some windows in mine but need to include bars or mesh to do so I reckon.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Most of the light comes from polycarbonate sheets in the roof. The shed's pitches are aligned east west so there are two north faces and two south faces. I put three poly sheets in each of the south faces. This gives good light without being too hot and I can store junk under the north faces without blocking light.

Rick

Here is your thread!
    When the launching? Just kidding
    http://www.peacefuljourney.ca/
    BEWARE: I am a native french speaker

Yes, this is it! Don't hold your breath! I think perhaps you and your little family might have sailed here by then in your new home!

Rick

Everything else is still in the way of the poor old Twister but, I am travelling north next week to pick up some planking timber so .... in a rather pathetic attempt to keep this thread alive, here's a picture of some racks I just built to store timber for the boat and other projects on at the back of the new shed:

Rick

You need to stand Tracey in front of that and take the photo again so that when we all say "nice rack Rick"..................hmmm, maybe don't tell her I suggested that!!

On a more civilised note, I posted this a while ago so I don't know what they might have left, but was just reminded of it by Peter, these guys are selling off quite a lot of stacks of timber at about half price(ish) depending on what it is, closing down there solid timber section and concentrating on veneers. I don't know if you need more timber but it may be of interest?:

http://www.matildaveneer.com.au/timber_sale.ews
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Thanks Greg. I think I'm pretty right for a while and will definitely be right out of space once I get all the timber from Duncan's. Hard to pass up good timber at a good price though isn't it?

Rick

A real update with real picture... Darn Rick nice to see !

What's the timber specie?

The timber I'm getting for planking is flooded gum, a species of eucalyptus. I already have some Papua New Guinea rosewood that I will use to make laminated frames. Oh, and I'm getting some white mahogany from Duncan too that I will use for floors. I'll see if I can find the botanical names for these trees.

Rick

Okay, white mahogany is eucalyptus acmenoides - very dense. Flooded gum is eucalyptus grandis - light for an Australian hardwood and very stable for planking. PNG rosewood is pterocarpus indicus - one of my favourite woods to work with. I'll probably use a lot more PNG rosewood for the interior rebuild but I'll have to find that later.

Rick

Oh fancy names there
    I use this website to get more info on wood: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-identification/

We say a wood specie, and which wood species come the wood. Or species need always a s.... Sorry I try to get my English better

Well, next week I should be able to show you the actual wood. On Friday we're driving up to Duncan's place near Murwillumbah to pick up the wood. It's about an 8 hour drive north from our place. We'll spend Saturday loading the timber and yarning with some of the WBF-ites who inhabit the deep north and then we'll head for home. We're going to use the trailer that Duncan used to take his Dragon from Sydney to his place last week, to cart the timber with. Then I'll take the trailer down to Sydney later on.

Rick

Finally got the chance to read through this tonight Rick, great stuff! The folkboat is a gem. Lovely to meet you and Tracey on the weekend, hope we get to see more of each other!

Likewise John and thanks! I'm sure we'll bump into you again sooner rather than later!

Rick

So, now I have a stack of wood for planking repairs sitting behind the shed:

Half of it is sprung like a banana but everyone tells me that's a good thing, so I'm happy about that. Of course it will look a bit sad if I hang it upside down.

I now have all the timber I need for framing (PNG rosewood) and planking (flooded gum aka rose gum) so I'm quickly running out of excuses not to do some boatbuilding! I do have a lot of house renovating to do though so it will still be veeery slow, sadly.

Rick

Oh! Fancy! Looking forward to your working with it !

Flooded gum is nice to work with and it will take quite a curve without steaming.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Rick, did the timber meet with David's approval?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Yes, David had a look at it this morning and was suitably impressed. Don't worry!

Rick