Thread: Sailplans of Oughtreds Penny Fee

Default Sailplans of Oughtreds Penny Fee

I have bought Oughtred´s catalogue and the Penny Fee is missing.
    On a piece of green fotocopyed paper, it says that it exists and with 4 sailing rigs:
    "4 sailing rigs will be offered: The gunter sloop and the yawl with balanced lug foresail. 1 mast or 2"

I have seen a drawing on the internet of two of these sail plans. 1 and 2 masted lug rig.
    If someone knows of the other 2 rigs, eventually with a drawing or a picture, I would be happy to se them.

Thanks

Default Re: Sailplans of Oughtreds Penny Fee

Welcome to the Forum!

Your best bet might be to join the Oughtred Builders Yahoo group, as there is a ton of info available there. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/oughtred/

Penny Fee is a stretched Tammie Norrie, so the rigs are probably quite similar. But until Iain develops and publishes the designs, not a heck of a lot anyone can do - unless you want to visit him on Skye? (grin)

http://www.nisboats.com/oughtred/dinghies.html#PennyFee
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Thanks for your reply.

I have posted the same question on the yahoo group, but it seems a bit dead there.

I would love to go to Skye. The reason that I´ve never gone is that I like to travel with doggie and he needs to be quarantined in order to go there

Dear Mr. Aldebaran,

It is my considered opinion that choosing any other rig than the two masted lug yawl for a sail & oar Penny Fee would be sub-optimum.

Sincerely,
    --James

Could you please explain why.

Short answer: it is the easiest and handiest high-performance rig to set, strike or reef while afloat, exactly what you need for an unballasted, open, sail & oars boat. See this thread here for pictures and discussion of using this rig in all sorts of conditions.

James when the sampans done and shook out i hope to make you eat them words. in a friendly sort of way.

Oh ho! Okay then, Mr. Troll, bring it! I have it on good authority that your sailplan is a piece of junk!* So if a sailing race doesn't settle your hash, we'll have to resort to the time tested sailor's way of settling disputes via oar jousting. The San Juan Islands and I await you, good sir!

So when are you gonna launch that thang, anyways? Are you going to make it to the Homebuilt Boats show in Seattle that Yeadon is organizing?

*(Ha! Get it? He's building a sampan.)

Nice link. I will take your advices into consideration.
    I like Oughtred´s double enders as well ( A lot ) and one of the smaller ones, Whilly Tern or Tirrik with a single lug sail is high on my priority list.

Oar jousting? I thought the time tested sailors' way of settling disputes involved massive quantities of rum (or suitable substitute) and cutlasses...

Bob

Well, I suppose we mustn't forget the ancient Okinawan art of eku-jitsu. . . .but I fear I would be at a grave disadvantage at such with an actual sampan owner.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Oh ho! Okay then, Mr. Troll, bring it! I have it on good authority that your sailplan is a piece of junk!* So if a sailing race doesn't settle your hash, we'll have to resort to the time tested sailor's way of settling disputes via oar jousting. The San Juan Islands and I await you, good sir!

So when are you gonna launch that thang, anyways? Are you going to make it to the Homebuilt Boats show in Seattle that Yeadon is organizing?

*(Ha! Get it? He's building a sampan.)

he he he he oh ya bring it on

yep it will be done in time for the show got a little trimming to do then rollover and fairing, then goop and paint should be done by Friday. with some help. we have the week planned for being there come hell or high water.

I am bringing not one, but two oars with me, Troll-san. Two!
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

I will be borrowing an oar ...... ha ha!