Thread: Hose or extension cord spools for anchor rope

Default Hose or extension cord spools for anchor rope

Will I be the first to try this?

Don't intend to use it as a winch, but it seems like as good a way as any to store the rope. Came upon a couple on the net last night that might work quite well.

Have to see if I can find some locally so I can actually hold them in my hands.

If you want a quality government, you must be prepared to pay a fair price. If all you want is tax cuts and spending cuts, the government can't work well.

Default Re: Hose or extension cord spools for anchor rope

I've found that hose spools are often too narrow and too large diameter to fit well in the space I want to use, so more often use a plastic rope spool on a rod and often, but not always, with a handle for winding.

Had I any skill at wood turning, no doubt I'd make a level winder like on a fishing reel or feeding the cable on a large ship. Some of hose reels have a level winder that won't feed right for the inevitably smaller diameter of any rope you'd use.

Combining spool and winch functions seems tempting but you don't really want to stow nylon or even dacron under load. But imagine a spring-loaded spool with level-winder that would stow hundreds of feet of rode just spinning off the windlass.

One very handy arrangement we created on a friend's ketch placed the spool athwartships just under the foreward lip of the forehatch, right below the windlass. When recovering the anchor, one could sit in the hatch operating the windlass by hand and using the feet to spin the spool and guide the rode. Hard to get much simpler or better.

On Marmalade, where I like to keep the rode in a cockpit locker and both set and deploy the hook from the cockpit, my experiments with a spool have to come out as well as just faking the rode into the locker. But I've not given up yet. All I gotta do is adapt a winch handle to place on the emerging into the cockpit axel head and . . . .

There's a Swedish product, or was called something like "ancarolina" that is a hose reel with webbing on it. It was intended as an anchoring system for small boats, but is often used as a stern anchor permanently set up on the pushpit, with something like a 20 pound anchor on it.

So I guess I'm saying your reel idea may work better with webbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    There's a Swedish product, or was called something like "ancarolina" that is a hose reel with webbing on it. It was intended as an anchoring system for small boats, but is often used as a stern anchor permanently set up on the pushpit, with something like a 20 pound anchor on it.

So I guess I'm saying your reel idea may work better with webbing.
    I'm going to find out soon. Spent $8 on a thing designed for extention cords. I have a 6 lb anchor, and have no intention of using this as a winch, although once the anchor is free of the bottom, I suspect I can just "crank it up" from that point.

If you want a quality government, you must be prepared to pay a fair price. If all you want is tax cuts and spending cuts, the government can't work well.

John Smith will not be the first. Eric Hiscock described a drum as "the most convenient way to handle anchor line" in Cruising under Sail (1965). His photos showed the drum to be what is being called a spool here. He had one with a spindle which fitted into the handle slot of the halyard winches on the mast. This held the line up clear of the deck.

I made one, but I found that unless the drum is mounted firmly, it is difficult to wind the line on firmly. If it is not, the line gets riding turns and jams when it is pulled off the drum. I found it difficult to recover the anchor and wind up at the same time. If the line needs cleaning, so much the worse.

Ian's setup on the friends ketch sounds good, but did that mean that wet and/or dirty line was going down below?

cheers buchie

Quote Originally Posted by bucheron View Post
    John Smith will not be the first. Eric Hiscock described a drum as "the most convenient way to handle anchor line" in Cruising under Sail (1965). His photos showed the drum to be what is being called a spool here. He had one with a spindle which fitted into the handle slot of the halyard winches on the mast. This held the line up clear of the deck.

I made one, but I found that unless the drum is mounted firmly, it is difficult to wind the line on firmly. If it is not, the line gets riding turns and jams when it is pulled off the drum. I found it difficult to recover the anchor and wind up at the same time. If the line needs cleaning, so much the worse.

Ian's setup on the friends ketch sounds good, but did that mean that wet and/or dirty line was going down below?

cheers buchie
    With each passing day, there are less things to be "first" at. Which is good, as Alfred E. Neuman once said, "Learn by the mistakes of others, cause you won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

The one I bought is one I can mount firmly, fits where it needs to, so I expect it will do the job. Doesn't look very "nautical", but if I like it, I can spend some time next winter making one more nautical.