Thread: Plans : Mucho Gusto by David Beach

Lightbulb Plans : Mucho Gusto by David Beach

Hi all,

For quite a while, I have been searching for the plans for a rather beautiful lady, the "Mucho Gusto", designed by David D. Beach. a lovely 14ft timber speedboat. I have attatched a copy of an image of her from the internet.

The up side, is that they seem to be available as a rather dodgy booklet, from various unreputable sources on the internet, for in excess of $40 US. Which would be fine, except im not getting scammed again (last time I ended up funding somebody's holidays on my credit card! - two 1500 euro plane tickets from Rome!).

I know that this plan was published back around the 50's, in several magazines and boat building annuals, and im hoping that some kind soul out there could drop me a copy of the plans. I have tried all the regular sources, and otherwise I guess ill have to end up modifying the plans for a rocket, or similar. Anything would be much appreciated, as I need to make some small changes anyway. even old photo's of one that has been built, that can help me recreate the lines of this sweet little lady.

Im still laughing about the plans for the flyer, which are still freely available from svenson's, and various other copies of one of the old magazines, which various idiots are buying from ebay for $40+.

Thanks in advance for any help you could offer.

Default Re: Plans : Mucho Gusto by David Beach

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Memory is the second thing to go, canna remember whut the furst izz.....

Thanks HWYL, that is indeed the little lady. a pic of the end views, ie from the transom, would just about have this wrapped up.

cheers!

I googled the title of your thread. Not my kind of boat I'm afraid, but there's almost enough info to reproduce her in that picture
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Memory is the second thing to go, canna remember whut the furst izz.....

Hacker did something like that with Hornet. Stepped, hull, probably a little faster.

Plans available here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cGC...esult&resnum=1

Thanks guys, and yes, there is almost sufficient to create a near replica. I would have liked it a little closer to the original though! My original intention, should I be unable to find some plans, was to design most of the features of the mucho gusto into a modified "Rocket" hull. I would prefer the mucho though, it just stirrs something inside - and thats what I think timber boats are all about, having soul, compared to tinnies which have functionality, and glass, which have sterility. and lets not even get me started on mild steel.

Thanks again guys, and of course, let me know if you come across anything - im not in any rush, this time anyway!

At least some of his plans from that time period have been donated to Mystic Seaport. Perhaps you can obtian a set from them (certainly reputable).

Thanks nedL, im a little new to the online scene, so its off to google with me (again).

The whole prospect of paying for scanned parts of 50 odd year old plans, that have been produced in various rag magazines several times, from a pack of Nigerians crouching ready to pounce (again) on my credit card was, admittedly, rather daunting! Not that im being racist - I own a business, and my EFTPOS facility comes with a notice that no transactions from nigeria are to be placed! (surprise!!). Even though, I suppose there are still far worse places around. but anyway, less of a rant.....

im off to take a look via google. once again, if anything else appears, please let me know! Thanks again guys!

NedL, I had a peek at their website, and couldn't find any reference to where / how I could find anything like what im chasing. Is there a specific part of the site that im missing?

Cheers,
    D.

I found this

"David D. Beach Collection (Ships Plans Coll. 110)

The small boat plans drawn by Mr. Beach included in this collection date from 1946 to 1966. A small groups of copy play plans for vessels designed at the office of William Gardner are also included."

Here - http://library.mysticseaport.org/catfind/shipslist.cfm

You might want to look at "Rascal" by Nelson Zimmer

Plans available from our host.

Full plans: Rascal
    Study Plan for 99 cents

I'd imagine it could be done as an inboard.

- Norm

just got burned for 99 cents US
    "save" locked up my computer; I had to "end task"

Rascal was always a favorite of mine; it's a scan of the two pages from "Forty Designs"
    I was hoping for more; something I could plot on a 24X36 and hang on my wall

O well
    Last edited by gert; 06-08-2009 at 07:38 PM.

You might like this one also.

Plans found here:

http://www.classicwoodenboatplans.com/

In addition Svenson's has:

and

Rocket has a much simpler rudder system and hornets front rudder made the boat very dicey at speed on all but glass calm water. Rocket could easily be scaled up to 18 ft in order to seat more than two folks. If you want real expert advice on building this type of boat, you might contact;

Eric Hvalsoe here at WBF,
    Stan Young of Stan Craft fame,

and I would here in NH talk with Bill John at the "Obsession" antique race boat fame in Wolfboro, NH.

Bill manages the web site for the NH Antique Boat Museum.

Welcome to my world!!!!!!!!

Chase
    NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Gar Wood speedster replicas are also popular.

and one built by Don Hardy at McCall Boatworks in ID.

NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Eric Hvalsoe's

NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

It appears they are working on plans for "Mucho Gusto" as we speak.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Class...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseKenyon View Post
    It appears they are working on plans for "Mucho Gusto" as we speak.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Class...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Will they use that Photoshop drop shadow of the name "Mucho Gusto" on the new plans?
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

High quality reproductions of the Mucho Gusto plans are available from D.N. Goodchild (a reputable dealer of such things with whom I have had many excellent transactions) for $7.95 US. It's his plan #5844

http://dngoodchild.com/divide_title.htm (look under "B" - the plan is called "Build Mucho Gusto"

I second the Goodchild site. When I started reading this thread I went there and found the exact link above...came down the tread to post it and saw it was already there. I have bought quite a few plans from him.

Many thanks to all - you guys have proven to be quite a handy bunch to have around. At the moment, im planning on doing up a modified set of plans for the mucho gusto, given the lines and such commonly available, and a marinised V6 with some interesting muffler/silencers (quick and quiet).

thanks again!

Quick and quiet - how about balanced? Engine CG (center of gravity) of that convenient marinized brute that you want to drop in compared to what the designer had in mind - engine weight and position - CG of the boat relative to the step - you are talking about a stepped hull? - finicky critters. Sorta like actual design work.

yes, well i kind of expect that. Ive had a fair bit of experience in design, as well as a whack in boatbuilding. Hence the plan to do a "little" design work. essentially, the deckline is basically the only part that would be basically similar. Also, a marinised V6 standard, with silencer/muffler to the extent that is intended would probally only be good for around 100 - 120 BHP. with the re-design, the centre of gravity should be fairly acheiveable. it would probally end up with a variable deadrise hull, with a few other tweaks.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    High quality reproductions of the Mucho Gusto plans are available from D.N. Goodchild (a reputable dealer of such things with whom I have had many excellent transactions) for $7.95 US. It's his plan #5844

http://dngoodchild.com/divide_title.htm (look under "B" - the plan is called "Build Mucho Gusto"
    I'll second that. I've purchased a half dozen or so plans from D.N. Goodchild. The quality is excellent, the price is reasonable, and he's reputable. What you get isn't just a photocopy ... The plans come in a small folder, with the text of the article in a small booklet, and the drawings on separate folded sheets. The whole package is done as if it was a gift, with two-color printing, nice paper, and crisp images.
    Last edited by Steve Paskey; 10-12-2009 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stncld View Post
    yes, well i kind of expect that. Ive had a fair bit of experience in design, as well as a whack in boatbuilding. Hence the plan to do a "little" design work. essentially, the deckline is basically the only part that would be basically similar. Also, a marinised V6 standard, with silencer/muffler to the extent that is intended would probally only be good for around 100 - 120 BHP. with the re-design, the centre of gravity should be fairly acheiveable. it would probally end up with a variable deadrise hull, with a few other tweaks.

Cheers.
    Stncld,
    Sounds like you have a handle on it, that's great. I was in a snide mood with my remarks - when I built LMC IV (as she was christianed by the client), we dropped the V-6 crusader in with no wieght or performance calucations, I guess about where the original straight 6 would have been located. It has been a long time, so my memory is somewhat dim. But I do remember that boat was seriously bow heavy. The aftermarket crew moved the engine back as far as they could, but I don't think she was ever right. On the other hand, Aurora is nicely balanced.
    Good luck.

Eric, I'm curious... would you address, briefly, how you arrived at the scantlings and modern construction method, for LMCIV and Aurora?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Eric, I'm curious... would you address, briefly, how you arrived at the scantlings and modern construction method, for LMCIV and Aurora?
    The short answer is that I made it up. Whatever judgement I had managed to accumulate - 20 years ago. I did not have a chance to track LMC for a long period of time to see how those scantlings held up, I imagine I erred on the light side. Certainly I did some comparative research, but there was not that much to compare to. LMC and Aurora were my version of stringer and frame monocoque construction. There is a good cross section drawing in WB 102 of Aurora. The boats featured conventional gusseted spruce frames, patterned to minimize point stress fractures. Plywood ring frames would be a different solution. At the time of LMC I was right across from the Budwieser hydroplane shop. My client knew those guys and one or two of them stopped by frequently. Clearly there is an influence from early, or all wood modern hydroplane construction, which of course has been influenced by early, or all wood aircraft construction. Aurora benefited from a deck lay up of diagonal plywood and longitudinal Honduras Mahogany, over stringer and frame. I had Aurora for a few years so had a better opportunity to see how she held up. After some driving the engine stringers and supports
    were beefed up (Aurora had unusual cantilevered rear mounts, these forces I underestimated). I also addressed some high wear areas on the bottom. All in all things seemed to hold up well and I loved how that boat drove. Any boat I build I imagine as a web of stresses and forces . . . how do you dissipate those loads through the structure. For me it was somewhat seat of the pants, but my experience with Aurora built on my experience with LMCIV, and all of that would have been influenced by my runabout repair work. As far as I know Aurora is still in Alaska. I'd like to go over her with a fine tooth comb.

The actual design work for Aurora was more than just seat of the pants. There was a paucity of research material for stepped hulls, but I found what I could. While building on the Zipper form (the actual Hacker hull design for our LMCIV), the bottom configuration of Aurora including angle of attack and non trip flair are carefully considered. So are the weights and hull balance.

Quote Originally Posted by outofthenorm View Post
    You might want to look at "Rascal" by Nelson Zimmer

Plans available from our host.

Full plans: Rascal
    Study Plan for 99 cents

I'd imagine it could be done as an inboard.

- Norm
    Rascal was by Ken Basset.
    Tom

Eric, thank you for the considered reply. I hope you get a chance to see Aurora again as well. I also hope to one day see another such design and build come from your shop - they are beautiful boats.
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 10-14-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Tip of the hat . . .

Hi
    are you still looking for plans of the mucho gusto if so I know where you can get them I have a full set myself the are very detailed and even come with instructions and full size patterns

Do you still have acess to these plans

yep sure do. they can be obtained from a company in Austalia called Build-A-Boat Plans. As far as I can tell they don't have a web site but thier ph/fax no. is 61 for Austalia 2 for area code then 99384933. I have there catalog in front of me and its plan no. 150 and cost $95 aus. this catalog is pretty old so the price may have gone up a little but I believe they are worth it I think there is 5 sheets including the full size patterns, they are original. good luck and let me know how you get on

DNgoodchild, 100% trustworthy soul, I visited him some years ago and wrote the article for WB! his plans are very good reproduced on quality paper.
    probably the best man in the business of reproducing books and plans.

Best advise is buy the 8 dollars of plans, and then decide how much modifying you want to do after.
    the man who designed the boat most likely knows boat construction better then you.

Plans are cheap compared to your time thinking and drawing.

Ive known a few cheap bast terds who scan lines from magazines because they are too cheap to pay the small fee, and then waste weeks scaling it up, and thinking out the details to make a 2nd quality reproduction of someone else's work.
    plans are cheap compared to your time.

but as above posted full size may also save you more time as lofting is time consuming
    There's one rich man onboard and there's twentyfive poor men and they enjoy it more then the rich man does -Jim Kilroy when asked if yacht racing is a rich mans sport.

On a related note... suppose you did have the plans for one of these old classics, like Flyer, or Mucho Gusto. What would you use for an engine today? Flyer is meant to use a little 164 cu inch engine. Checking out the MercCruiser site (and several others), I see the big V-8s, but but a little 4? Ideas?
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - J.B Books

I purchasd a marinised 2ltr twin overhead cam fiat engine 120 hp at 5000 rpm for when I biuld my mucho gusto I reckon that should push it along pretty quick, 4 cyl engines these days (or even inline 6 3ltr) are producing huge hp compared to engines of old If you have the time and money to marinise them, wich offers very good power to weight racio for small boats, remember macho gusto is only a two seater , so will never be loaded up with family or mates for a days fishing

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

How Quick?

Sioux City, Iowa (Idiot Out Walking Around)

Steve Lewis
    Formerly Lewisboats (don't try to change your email address!)

http://angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks

yep thats page one of the set I have