Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: trump card - ultimate motorcycle thread

Default trump card - ultimate motorcycle thread

show what ya got . . .

Default Re: trump card - ultimate motorcycle thread

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

My first and last motorcycle was a WWII BSA M20 bought with some friends while stationed in Turkey in late 60's. It had a sidecar and a front fender name board with the name Muzzafer and a good luck eye. 500 cc single cylinder with canvas handle grips. Parted company in 1969 and heard it was still going strong in the late 70's.
    Looked like this one.

“Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily" Johann Von Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meyer View Post
    My first and last motorcycle was a WWII BSA M20 bought with some friends while stationed in Turkey in late 60's. It had a sidecar and a front fender name board with the name Muzzafer and a good luck eye. 500 cc single cylinder with canvas handle grips. Parted company in 1969 and heard it was still going strong in the late 70's.
    Looked like this one.

No it didn't.... That's a photo of what my first bike was... a Matchless.... and that's pretty much my bike (a 1949 G80S) apart from the paint job. The rigid tail disappeared from the Matchy in 1951 IIRC and the magneto moved in front of the engine around then too I think.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Here's a later Matchless... a 1956

and the earlier rigid-framed model

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    No it didn't.... That's a photo of what my first bike was... a Matchless.... and that's pretty much my bike (a 1949 G80S) apart from the paint job. The rigid tail disappeared from the Matchy in 1951 IIRC and the magneto moved in front of the engine around then too I think.
    I had a 51 Matchless - the magneto was aft of the cylinder. They shifted forward in 52 or 53, 'cos my 54 AJS had it that way. Just nitpickin'

Great bike, and what a handsome young fella in the puddin' bowl helmet! They don't make 'em like that any more.
    Charlie
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Cool Re: trump card - ultimate motorcycle thread

Back in 1973 I bought a lightly used 1965 Honda 90 from a friend who's father was the Mayor of our city.
    I was 16 and didn't have a drivers license or registration for it but that didn't stop me from riding it everywhere that Summer.
    Wish I still had it.
    I sold it to buy my first car.

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Yeah, I suppose you always remember your first.... I sort of like to think of my 500cc Matchless as my first bike, but before it came a very rough one of these....

... and I still bear the scars... a big gouge out of my knee where I slipped over pushing it up the hill so that I could run it back down again in an attempt to start it.... and a 3-4" scar across my butt - where my brother ran me down whilst flat out on it one day down on our bush track behind the cemetery. The bike didn't cause the scar - it was the unknown animal vertebrae that I landed on.... hmm, vertebrae, cemetery.....

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    Shoot. I thought this was going to be the Honda 50 thread.

Thank you Donn ,a good case can be made for it as a great bike . The one I bought when I was 16 gave 240 mpg .I could cruise the state on refunds from bottles from truckstops .A coke bottle refund would buy 13 miles of petrol .Bliss !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    show what ya got . . .

Nup ,that's it ...end of thread ! But we'll try ........

The Oz ultimate !

Cruising in style ....I like it !!

Grateful Dead

Gawd, first bikes eh? Lessee if I can remember the progression...

Vespa 150cc, Matchless 500cc, Suzuki T250J, Ducati 350cc, Honda 750, Yamaha TY250 trials bike, the BMW R90S that I still have, although its 1000cc now, some Highly Dangerous, Hardly Driveable, Harleys - a 1947 without an engine and a few other bits and, a 1973 or is it 74 Shovelhead. There's a Yamaha GT80 around here too.

That sheepskin has seen a few miles - it looks a bit shagged. I used to throw a skin on the seat for any out-of-town trips.

This would have to the the ultimate bike though, wouldn't it?

A Vespa from the French Army - fitted with a 75mm recoiless rifle.

and because you really want to know more about it, here's the linkie

http://www.scooteringusa.com/2006/12...ith_cannon.htm

Mad Max , eat your heart out !
    Grateful Dead

Here's one for Moby Nick ....veggy oil fueled

Grateful Dead

I started with one of these:

Then upgraded to:

The Under Manager is learning on this:
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

My first, it was an older brother's of mine handed down when I was around eleven or twelve, 1st and last Suzuki I've ever owned...

This would have to the the ultimate bike though, wouldn't it?

A Vespa from the French Army - fitted with a 75mm recoiless rifle.

and because you really want to know more about it, here's the linkie

http://www.scooteringusa.com/2006/12...ith_cannon.htm
    That cant be right. If it was a French army scooter the gun would be pointing the other way.

Paul, that is so harsh mate....

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I started with one of these:

Me too (assuming it's an LD), mine was a little rougher.

My first and only suzuki.

Quite possibly the worlds very worst commuter iron but monster fun.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Me too (assuming it's an LD), mine was a little rougher.
    I never said that that was a photo of my LD, they were still using wet glass plates and petrol was 21 Old pennies a gallon when I started.

I just sold a 185cc Suzuki Ag bike , an excellent bush bike , slow and smelly but a faithful sparetire for 15 years .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I never said that that was a photo of my LD, they were still using wet glass plates and petrol was 21 Old pennies a gallon when I started.
    Yes, petrol one and ninepence and mild beer one and threepence. Those ratios have changed.

Your picture is of the much classier Li series 1. This is the awful LD

My first bike, a '72 Honda 350 twin that I bought in 1975:

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Paul, that is so harsh mate....
    I grew into and through a line of progressively larger Kawasaki dirtbikes for the next ten years. A neighbor, a few years older than myself had a Kawasaki KZ1000 that became my dream streetbike as an older teenager. I went through a brief love affair of various Honda and Kawasaki repliracers, but I'm too tall to fold myself onto them comfortably. I still admire pure sportbike design though, especially along the lines of the modern italian bikes. I guess nowadays the new 'standards' from Harley and Triumph have a lot of appeal to me, especially bikes that could be molded into Cafe Racers.

Er...um...Paul Pless, I think Ian was referencing Paul Fitzgerald's post #20.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    ....but I'm too tall to fold myself onto them comfortably.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Er...um...Paul Pless, I think Ian was referencing Paul Fitzgerald's post #20.
    oh... I was figuring Ian for a gixxer fan

My last motorcycle, which I really liked (mine had lower bars). Maybe again now that the kids are mostly grown? Hmmm . ..

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Yes, petrol one and ninepence and mild beer one and threepence. Those ratios have changed.

Your picture is of the much classier Li series 1. This is the awful LD

Of course, you are correct, I missed the difference at the back end and the naff front mudguard. The side panels came off fairly smartish, and only went back on when I sold it.

Bigfella
    Whoops .... Matchless it is. I should have looked at the front forks as the BSA had girders instead of tubular. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of our m20 and grabbed the wrong one from a WWII motorcycle site. I wonder what that Matchless would be worth now?
    “Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily" Johann Von Schiller

Robert.... I wish you hadn't put that last sentence in... I sold my Matchless for $50, back in the mid 70's when I was a starving uni student. Last time I saw locally they were about $5,000.

I think Paul definitely played the trump card first.

My first bike - BSA Bantam, cost $50 -

This pic taken in November 67, the day I got my learner's permit, registered the bike and left school. We did a lot of miles together.
    Charlie
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."