Thread: flat or v bottom skiff, plywood lapstrake

Default flat or v bottom skiff, plywood lapstrake

How much lighter than the (now) standard slabs of plywood, glassed gunnel to gunnel?

Seems the chine(s) would still need taping.

Default Re: flat or v bottom skiff, plywood lapstrake

Not sure what your question is here.

mix the title with the question and you get...probably about 20-25% but you still want to protect the ply with a couple of coats of epoxy. Doing the slab thing doesn't necessarily mean completely covering with glass...just doing the chines and corners, coating with a couple of thin coats and some paint works well too. You can even use chine logs and cleats and eliminate the glass on the chines but I prefer protecting the edges of the ply in this critical area with some glass reinforced resin.

That was my guesstimate - 20%. The real object is to avoid having to buy a new trailer. Trying to stay under 350 lbs for a 16-18 footer.

How did you get a trailer that long with load ratings that low? Almost all the current crop of boat trailers have axles rated **starting** at 500lbs and much more often starting at 2000lbs.

Very difficult to get leaf springs rated under 1000 lbs, and only torsion axles (which provide an unacceptably-rough ride when under-loaded) seem to go down to 500lbs.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

It's a Castle Craft canoe/small boat trailer. It has cute little leaf springs.

A great choice of trailers, and one that will be very kind to your boat. I suspect you could replace the leaf springs with something higher rated, but are there other over-weight issues with the supports and/or frame? I'd contact CastleCraft and ask...
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.