Thread: Boatbuilding in Hawaii?

Default Boatbuilding in Hawaii?

Hi,
    Does anyone know of any commercial or amateur wooden boatbuilding going on in Hawaii?

Many thanks

Default Re: Boatbuilding in Hawaii?

It's been a while since I was there...but.....not very darn much...importing materials was a killer....
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

I've been out here from Washington for about 3 years, and haven't seen much either, at least in terms of North American/European style vessels. Since the launching of the Hokule‘a in 1975, however, there continues to be a lot of interest in traditional Polynesian voyaging and canoe building. I've wanted to take the time to get into it, but alas, in my current guise as a graduate student, it's hard enough to find time to go surfing.

Check out the Polynesian Voyaging Society http://pvs.kcc.hawaii.edu/index.html

...which includes a good chunk on canoe building: http://pvs.kcc.hawaii.edu/L2canoebuild.html

Also look at the Friends of the Hokule‘a and Hawi‘iloa, the volunteer boatbuilding organization that undertakes the maintenance of these vessels and the construction of many more throughout Hawai‘i. http://fhh-hawaii.org/about.shtml

It may not be what you had in mind, but it's another fascinating world of boatbuilding!

Aloha!

i was on oahu , years ago, at alamoana bay there were some boats that were built, mostly cats, i wouldnt know now though, i knew of a few canoe builders in makaha, but like i said, its been years ago.

growing up on Kauai with a father who fished I saw a lot of boats, seems like every other house had a beaten up fiber-glassed ply boat in the front yard. They were definitely amateur builds and must have been locally made, but i don't remember seeing guys building boats, just fixing them!

I'm going there next month... I'll let you know if I see anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrleft8 View Post
    I'm going there next month... I'll let you know if I see anything...
    WooHoo, a Hawaiian Saga coming up? With pics?
    "Bundinn er bátlaus maður" Bound is boatless man.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBen View Post
    WooHoo, a Hawaiian Saga coming up? With pics?
    More likely a "Drama".... I'm taking my elderly, somewhat demented father to visit his college room mate "Before he (the room mate) dies"... Why my father has suddenly decided that his old friend is about to die I don't know.... But then again I didn't know about the Gypsies that come into his house every night and take door knobs apart, and put telephones in the freezer either....

There are a few of us out here...but not many.

I just started an Oughtred "Wee Seal" here on Maui. I recently heard that there is someone building a sailboat Upcountry, and I thought I saw a cold molded hull in a yard in Lahaina last year.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCKiwi View Post
    Hi,
    Does anyone know of any commercial or amateur wooden boatbuilding going on in Hawaii?

Many thanks
    The Ala Wai harbor has many boats in need of a wooden boat rebuilding/refitting business. A perfect model would be the Sampson Boat company. (Rebuilding 1909 pilot cutter Tally Ho in Washington st.) Big risks, but even bigger rewards to any inspired wooden sailboat lovers. You tube would be a good way to start a boat building business, along with the already flourishing sailing industry in hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan navy View Post
    The Ala Wai harbor has many boats in need of a wooden boat rebuilding/refitting business. A perfect model would be the Sampson Boat company. (Rebuilding 1909 pilot cutter Tally Ho in Washington st.) Big risks, but even bigger rewards to any inspired wooden sailboat lovers. You tube would be a good way to start a boat building business, along with the already flourishing sailing industry in hawaii.
    Well, go ahead and start a boatbuilding business there!

Well first, a list of wooden boats in the Ala Wai in need of services. Things are changing so fast there, some sailors are looking for new harbors.