Thread: Ipe decking... Which fasteners?

Default Ipe decking... Which fasteners?

I am going to be doing an Ipe deck for a customer, what is the best way to fasten it?

Special trim-head screws?

Deck clips?

SS screws topped by Ipe plugs?

Magic spells?
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Default Re: Ipe decking... Which fasteners?

I'd be interested to know, myself... because I have a 25 year old deck, done in pressure treated lumber, which is split, checked, and generally disgusting.

I love the look of ipe, but it's incredibly heavy and hard, and I could easily imaging going through dozens of broken drill bits, trying to predrill holes for deck fasteners.
    "Opinions you like, presented to you and others who share your opinions, from someone whose opinion you already know"
    Steven Colbert, commenting on the launch of the Sarah Palin channel

I assume this is for a house, not a boat? My dad has done several using little clips that fit into a groove in the edge of each deck board. The boards come with the groove, but if you need additional slots in ends or in narrower pieces you can use a biscuit jointer. the 'clip' looks like an aluminum biscuit but has a tab that goes down in the space to keep a set distance between planks, and a drilled hole for a screw. good luck, sorry if I missunderstood you
    www.schleiffboatworks.com "classic boats for modern times"

Do you still need to put a fastened in the middle of a 1x6 or 5/4x6 if you use the clips, does Ipe ever cup IOW? And yes this is a deck for a house. Ipe is so heavy it might sink a boat.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    Ipe is so heavy it might sink a boat.
    Isn't George's schooner Dalia built of ipe?

Steven

I use SS deck screws. Yes, you fry drill bits and countersinks, but that's part of the cost of doing bidniz. I don't plug them.
    Never trust a man with a clean workshop.

we built an IPE deck about 5 years ago-a big one-guys did a beautiful job, fastened the planks with trim head square drive SS screws-they bitched about having to pre-drill for every screw and burning through tons of carbide bits-hard stuff! But, lots of traffic and parties and kids bikes and skateboards and dragging furniture etc etc and it still looks great-amazing wood-the ultimate wood decking I think

I've built several ipe decks. And pre-drill everything with a drillpress. And spend extra time making sure my deck beams are perfect so I can use a jig to mark 'em.

The one deck that I bunged, I just heard the other day the Weldwood glue has surprisingly let go on a few. That same deck I had subbed out to a guy I know who insisted on using those hidden fasteners in between the joints to secure it. Well the strength of the twisting ipe ripped the covering board right up after only a couple months. Strong stuff. Stinky stuff.

The scraps are good for making small fids.

DAN

Suggestions for installing IPE decking,

http://www.ipedepot.com/installation.htm
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com

'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

We use S/S screws , pre drill with a 3/8" Irwin spade bit , the bit tip acts a pre drill for the screw. Plug /Bunged the counter bore.

A # 6 , or so star drive, bugle headed S/S screw.

Yes, you will use a few bits.

Hard and heavy.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmS View Post
    I assume this is for a house, not a boat? My dad has done several using little clips that fit into a groove in the edge of each deck board. The boards come with the groove, but if you need additional slots in ends or in narrower pieces you can use a biscuit jointer. the 'clip' looks like an aluminum biscuit but has a tab that goes down in the space to keep a set distance between planks, and a drilled hole for a screw. good luck, sorry if I missunderstood you

I used this system, making the groove with a router and slot cutter. It was about four years ago, and has been holding up fine. The Ipe is extremely resistant to rot, so I wasn't too worried about collecting dirt in the groove, which I think would make the slotted-edge system poor for treated lumber.