Thread: Ipe decking... Which fasteners?

Default Ipe decking... Which fasteners?

I am going to be doing an Ipe deck for a customer, what is the best way to fasten it?

Special trim-head screws?

Deck clips?

SS screws topped by Ipe plugs?

Magic spells?
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Default Re: Ipe decking... Which fasteners?

I assume this is for a house, not a boat? My dad has done several using little clips that fit into a groove in the edge of each deck board. The boards come with the groove, but if you need additional slots in ends or in narrower pieces you can use a biscuit jointer. the 'clip' looks like an aluminum biscuit but has a tab that goes down in the space to keep a set distance between planks, and a drilled hole for a screw. good luck, sorry if I missunderstood you
    www.schleiffboatworks.com "classic boats for modern times"

Do you still need to put a fastened in the middle of a 1x6 or 5/4x6 if you use the clips, does Ipe ever cup IOW? And yes this is a deck for a house. Ipe is so heavy it might sink a boat.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    Ipe is so heavy it might sink a boat.
    Isn't George's schooner Dalia built of ipe?

Steven

I use SS deck screws. Yes, you fry drill bits and countersinks, but that's part of the cost of doing bidniz. I don't plug them.

we built an IPE deck about 5 years ago-a big one-guys did a beautiful job, fastened the planks with trim head square drive SS screws-they bitched about having to pre-drill for every screw and burning through tons of carbide bits-hard stuff! But, lots of traffic and parties and kids bikes and skateboards and dragging furniture etc etc and it still looks great-amazing wood-the ultimate wood decking I think

I've built several ipe decks. And pre-drill everything with a drillpress. And spend extra time making sure my deck beams are perfect so I can use a jig to mark 'em.

The one deck that I bunged, I just heard the other day the Weldwood glue has surprisingly let go on a few. That same deck I had subbed out to a guy I know who insisted on using those hidden fasteners in between the joints to secure it. Well the strength of the twisting ipe ripped the covering board right up after only a couple months. Strong stuff. Stinky stuff.

The scraps are good for making small fids.

DAN

Suggestions for installing IPE decking,

http://www.ipedepot.com/installation.htm
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com

'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

We use S/S screws , pre drill with a 3/8" Irwin spade bit , the bit tip acts a pre drill for the screw. Plug /Bunged the counter bore.

A # 6 , or so star drive, bugle headed S/S screw.

Yes, you will use a few bits.

Hard and heavy.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmS View Post
    I assume this is for a house, not a boat? My dad has done several using little clips that fit into a groove in the edge of each deck board. The boards come with the groove, but if you need additional slots in ends or in narrower pieces you can use a biscuit jointer. the 'clip' looks like an aluminum biscuit but has a tab that goes down in the space to keep a set distance between planks, and a drilled hole for a screw. good luck, sorry if I missunderstood you

I used this system, making the groove with a router and slot cutter. It was about four years ago, and has been holding up fine. The Ipe is extremely resistant to rot, so I wasn't too worried about collecting dirt in the groove, which I think would make the slotted-edge system poor for treated lumber.