Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: old new and classic speedboats

Default Re: old new and classic speedboats

Goldcup check out the CMBA Classic Motor Boat Association UK or join, they need support.. there's plenty of stuff out there, I take your point about speedlimits and such in the UK but it's not exclusively USA...think, as has been said, of the greatest wooden powerboats that aren't American like Rivas, to some really nice Broads boats, Brooms and such...

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Here is a new boat,built in Gig Harbor by Cherry Boats

Hi Jonboy,
    I used to be a member of the Classic Motor Boat Association in Britain, in fact I edited and completely turned round their magazine, did all the writing and research. But they're hampered by rules and pointless regulation and costs, now the financial crisis. All typical Britain. No get up and go, I'm afraid.

Rivas? Having crawled all over them, inside, under, etc. for my modelmaking research I can only say I ain't a fan. No real craftsmanship except in the finish. Gimme a Greavette any day. If I told you what the boatbuilders at Freebody's called the Rivas they have to restore I'd be thrown off here for swearing! There are a few wooden runabouts from America over here, but few enough. There's a Gar Wood called Rat waiting to be bought by a rich guy at Steve Mills Dockyard in Nottingham and I know where there's just the keel of a Baby Gar on our East coast with a Packard Gold Cup Six in it, rusting away! I have a photo somewhere. But that says it all about this sorry old land.

Goldcupper

'Sfunny you should say that about the Italian Jobs... The plastic Riva I have could be anything if it wasn't for the finish and the pale blue upholstery.. the motor was dumped years ago for a BMW marine, and the odd other latino I've had were much the same... A Ducati that needed new mains and big ends every 8000 miles, a Maserati I looked after for someone else that had switchgear and general interior that looked like it came out of a Fiat 127, and disastrous electrics, a Guzzi that handled like a dream if you were five foot six and weighed 10 stone. and finally caught fire (electrics again) still, wouldn't mind a Venetian vaporetti or a wooden Riva or a Desmo Duke...they do look jus' right....! or a Dino, or a Spyder, or a Palazzo on the Grand Canal, or a Caravaggio, or, or, or......oh yeah an MV Agusta, or those nifty new Fiat 500s ..there's a Peugot convertible by Bertone from the mid seventies... or or or....

Couldn't agree more, jonboy. My son used to work for a classic race car restorer. One day when I was round there the boss offered me a trip in a 250 GTO, probably my most favourite car ever. Half way round the trip he stopped for fuel and I had the chance to really look at this thing and the workmanship was appalling! How they held together long enough to compete at Le Mans and go on to become the most valuable car can only be down to Italian soul. And they have plenty of that.

My friend grew so sick of his Ducati breaking down he phoned a bike breaker from work where he'd pushed it 5 miles and told him to come collect it. He just gave it away and I gave him a lift home.

The Italians have something...flair? A Latin cousin of style and class. A forgiveable lack of quality!
    I just wish it was recognized for what it is (or isn't) and not valued so highly financially.

Cheers,
    Goldcupper

Another shameless bump...
    how's it going, Chase?
    Goldcupper

Hello Gold cupper.

You can visit my french version of my web site at : www.proclassiq.com

My boat was in April issue of Classic Boating.

Bye Yves

Picked up my first classic runabout back in August: a 1965 Carver Captain '17 with a Mercury 650. Complete and original...I'm the second owner! I've been having a blast with it. Stripped and revarnished...paint on the hull, fresh plugs and carb gaskets. Everything is working like it should and we've been on it several times a week. I'm still tracking down online resources....anyone have any guidance? What should I do about the pitted finish on the few shiny metal/plastic bits (spotlight, horn, steering wheel center, etc.)? I wouldn't call them chrome because they are really just shiny pot-metal. At the very least, I'd like to keep them from deteriorating further....

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

My Bingo boat...

Last edited by wizbang 13; 10-31-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Had the same question in my head!