Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: old new and classic speedboats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default old new and classic speedboats

Is there any chance to get a catagory for us? and if not at least a sticky. I am into all kinds of boats, but mahogany speedboats and similar even plywood classics are my main love. I hope I am not the only one with all the folks we have register to this forum.

Chase

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Default Re: old new and classic speedboats

There are a lot of powerboat guys here, and quite a few speedboat guys -- restorers, amateur builders, others....

Here's one of my favorite speedboat build threads http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57901

I too love all boats, wood, FG, metal, power, sail. It doens't matter to me. I've owned all types of boats including power and sail, but I gravitate toward power at this point in my life.

I would love to see a power boat section on this forum. Maybe I would spend less time in the Bilge.

That is my passion as well I have also owned sail boats but at the moment my interest lies in mohogany powerboats

darren

Add me to the list. I've mostly been in sailboats for the last 40 years although my first boat in early '50s was a little outboard speedboat. A couple years ago I designed and built a 13' classic style runabout and also designed and built a 24' cruiser, again styled in the old classic fashion.

Yes, a separate category would be great. Many post comments or questions without explaining whether it refers to power or sail. That gets confusing.
    Tom L

Since I'm building a Hacker replica count me in.

I'm doing a nasty and bumping this up myself.

I love sailing and that includes big cruisers and 18 ft 500lbs ers with 26 foot masts.

I have lots of sailing trophies but none for power boating.

But, like some of you my love is Real and modern Classic type speed boats ( my dream boat is particular 24 ft open runabout in FLA. with not one but two 375 BHP Chrysler letter series V8s with V drives). Re-iteration, 24 ft. 750 BHP circa 1961.

I also have been working on designs for a 19 footer in wood similar to a Chis Craft 19 Commodore or X19 with V drive. Stepped V hull with aereation Channels like dad developed for helicopter rotor blade tips when they go supersonic in an attack dive.

So I say lets bring it on all you type "A"s that want to go 80 MPH on GPS with me.

Chase

Check in here even if you are only interested in 40 MPH on GPS but want the speed boat fun.
    Please every one interested check in and declare your selves.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseKenyon View Post
    I'm doing a nasty and bumping this up myself.
    That will most likely be the solution to keeping your thread of interest alive. It's not nasty at all, by the way, but may become a chore for you.

Good luck!
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

So I say lets bring it on all you type "A"s that want to go 80 MPH on GPS with me.
    Well shoot, I got a design for a sailboat I hope will crack the 100KPH barrier! I got another idea for a boat, a two-seater, I think might just be able to crack 100 mph on 40 hp!

Mind you, these are flexible interpretations of the words 'sail' and 'boat.'

Count me in too - sail power is beautiful - gas power is music to the ears!

I too wish to see more content on speed boats I would like to start building the Palm beach sometime next year.

Darren

I'd go for that... just sorting a GRP Riva Rudy , dreaming of an Aquarama but dont have half a million to spend... see my photo.. a cheap compromise, but compromise never the less.. a double skinned glass 5 metre hull, decked over and replica'd up in 50s style, currently running a 40 horse yam four stroke but rebuilding a BMW inboard -sterndrive to fit ..maybe.. I think it looks good , eminently practical and i'd rather spend time on the briny than in the repair shop any one interested in how I did it get in touch

Check out Bill Yonescu's 22 ft design if you'd like to build a Mediteranean styled boat. The Med. look is exemplified by Rio, Boesch, Riva and others.

http://mahoganyrunabouts.com/5.html

P.S. Bill plans to have the 22 at the Mt. Dora show so if you are in FL go see it. I believe it is available.

Chase

P.S. Bill plans to have the 22 at the Mt. Dora show so if you are in FL go see it. I believe it is available.

Chase
    Hi All,

Yes, I had my boat at Mt. Dora, and Yes, it's still available.

The Mt Dora show was a "bust" for me.. had to be the windiest and dustiest place in Florida for the days of the show. I enjoyed talking with many nice boaters but only had one serious inquiry.

While I'm dying to use my boat (only had it out twice) I want to keep it as new as possible.

My website ( http://mahoganyrunabouts.com/ ) shows photos (too many) and videos (time lapse as well) of most of my build. I call her the Yon'e 22, "A modern Mahogany Runabout". Inspired by the Riva Ariston, and the modern day Chris Craft Lancer 22.

Ive shared my plans with several interested builders, all from Australia, maybe it will have a "sister" someday.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Yonescu; 05-04-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Yonescu View Post
    My website ( http://mahoganyrunabouts.com/ ) shows photos (too many) and videos (time lapse as well) of most of my build. I call her the Yon'e 22, "A modern Mahogany Runabout". Inspired by the Riva Ariston, and the modern day Chris Craft Lancer 22.

Bill
    Bill,
    Nice boat but there are problems with the path to your wmv files. Check it out.

Also...WMVs work better if you use a wmx to point to the wmv. Check it out.

http://all-streaming-media.com/faq/s...MI-PLS-M3U.htm

Yeah, I like speedboats, too. Most of my design commissions have been powerboats, some of them rather fast ones.

I own an oldie - a 1964 Mahone Plycraft 15-ft runabout, build in solid mahogany veneers and hot-molded in an autoclave. It is slowly being restored and will see the water again someday, but I'm not in a hurry. It will run best with a 30-35 hp outboard.

These days I look more at medium speed & low hp rather than a bazillion horses and peel-your-eyelids-back speed, though I have done that and it is fun. I just think that with the cost of fuel it will become too expensive to just drop everything, hop in the boat, and go play. Two hundred bucks per day to fuel a toy (a client's 1200 hp, 24-ft Scarab drank about that much) is too steep for me! Think about the boats you (or your Dad) had as a kid back in the '50's and '60's that could take Mom, Dad, two kids, a picnic basket and some toys out for a day on the lake or river and you have an idea of what I'm leaning towards these days. Leave all the cabinetry and upholstery on shore, strip the boat to the comfortable necessities, and try to get the best performance hull to suit 50 - 75 hp. I'm currently noodling about with high L/B ratio planing and semi-planing hulls (stylish looks, efficient hull) but I'm not allowed to show you guys any of my ideas. Punished for being professional, don'tcha know... <rolleyes>

Anyway, keep posting about speedboats - I'll keep looking.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Mike, THanks for the kickback on this topic.

One of my brainstorms is to Marinize some Audi five cylinder turbo engines. They can be had for $600 to $800 in ten valve and another $900 in 20valve. They have an indestructable 350,000 mile crankshaft. The turbo torque Curve approximates the slip and Hydraulic advantage of a Velvet drive. They are small in size, relatively light weight and can be set up to easily procduce over 350 BHP in a car out of 2.2 liters of displacement. With chip and wastegate set for 250BHP or less you have a very efficient package, that is bullet proof.

You only need the 250 BHP to get on a plane using the max boost with a velvet drive at 6500 RPM. Once on plane and drop back to cruising rpm of 3000 to 4000 RPM your manifold will drop from 6.5 psi to about 20 in mercury of vacuum. Now I still remember when JC Whitny sold manifold vacuum gauges in the fifties so folks could keep thier cars at max vacuum which equals max fuel efficiency.

My ex-ice racer Audi TQ 5000CS has a full vacuum/boost gauge. It is interesting as the vacuum part shows that at 30 MPH you use less fuel in third gear at 3000 RPM than you would in fourth gear at 2000 RPM. THat is what got me thinking about boat use. In Concord NH we have a used Audi parts guy who has long thought the same about the 5 cylinder engines.

BTW you can easily chip and turbo the 2.2 5 cylinder up to 500 to 600 bhp without nitrous.

Chase
    Last edited by ChaseKenyon; 03-05-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Mike, THanks for the kickback on this topic.

One of my brainstorms is to Marinize some Audi five cylinder turbo engines. They can be had for $600 to $800 in ten valve and another $900 in 20valve. They have an indestructable 350,000 mile crankshaft. The turbo torque Curve approximates the slip and Hydraulic advantage of a Velvet drive. They are small in size, relatively light weight and can be set up to easily procduce over 350 BHP in a car out of 2.2 liters of displacement. With chip and wastegate set for 250BHP or less you have a very efficient package, that is bullet proof.

You only need the 250 BHP to get on a plane using the max boost with a velvet drive at 6500 RPM. Once on plane and drop back to cruising rpm of 3000 to 4000 RPM your manifold will drop from 6.5 psi to about 20 in mercury of vacuum. Now I still remember when JC Whitny sold manifold vacuum gauges in the fifties so folks could keep thier cars at max vacuum which equals max fuel efficiency.

My ex-ice racer Audi TQ 5000CS has a full vacuum/boost gauge. It is interesting as the vacuum part shows that at 30 MPH you use less fuel in third gear at 3000 RPM than you would in fourth gear at 2000 RPM. THat is what got me thinking about boat use. In Concord NH we have a used Audi parts guy who has long thought the same about the 5 cylinder engines.

BTW you can easily chip and turbo the 2.2 5 cylinder up to 500 to 600 bhp without nitrous.

Chase
    Are you serious?? a well engineered and light high revving bike engine for example struggles to get 2 x bhp per litre... that is the big Dukes a hot Kwacker give 185 bhp to 1000cc... a five cylinder 2.2 audi , even turbod and chipped gives 350 bhp..!!!! even F1 in the days of turbo in the early nineties could only (and I don't mean 'only') get 1000 bhp from 3 litres and that was a motor meant to last 300 miles at nearly 20000 rpm..... even a turboed production 3 litre car engine running at 8 grand might just make 300 bhp á la BMW M3s and thats on a bench dyno at crankshaft output.. '...easily 500-600 hp from a 2.2 five cylinder....' I don't think so.. Look at the stats for the pro fuel draggers and F1 stuff...dream on--- let alone how you are going to use 1000 maybe 1500rpm powerband at 12000rpm in a boat....Shouldn't mind having a go though, if you pull it off.....

even F1 in the days of turbo in the early nineties could only (and I don't mean 'only') get 1000 bhp from 3 litres and that was a motor meant to last 300 miles at nearly 20000 rpm.....
    Those were 1.5 liter engines and they produced above 1250 hp in qualifying trim.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

IT'S ALL ABOUT RESEARCH GANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Basically the five cyl is half a=of a V10 F1 with a bottom end strong enough for a 7 liter V8.

Final laptop chip tweaking on public roads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuL3g...eature=related

320 KPH is 198+ MPH.

Mine is an Avant, which actually has a significantly lower cD. that engine in my Avant would be good for close to 335KPH. Yes 208.17 MPH. And yes it does have the aerodynamics to get there. the doors have rubber flush seal on all gaps as does the leading edge of the hood, the body design has a perfect wind tunnel taper from front to rear just like a modern jet fighter.

Next up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnI_vVkZZNE&NR=1

legally registered for street:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUL6j...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xL0y...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbDHW...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caXc6...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWrfY...eature=related

Not registered but could be as it will pass inspection in most states:
    http://www.intendedacceleration.com/gallery.html

I have been referred to as a walking car and mostly engine encyclopedia with a photographic memory.

Teaser of the week:

Who, way back in 1954, destroked a 289 cu in v8 to 262 cu in, with dual over head cams and semi hemi cross flow heads and 8 individual throttle body fuel injection putting out 460+ BHP @ 7200 RPM?

Last edited by ChaseKenyon; 03-09-2009 at 04:57 PM.

What do you gas-powered older boat (engine) owners do about ethanol in the fuel?
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

THere were a bunch of articles about that in Professional Boat Builder. I will see if I can find them or links for you.

Mostly I replace all the flexible hoses with new ethanol safe ones. I also use fuel stabilizer even in the summer. It only takes one cold night docked with a heavy morning fog to have the ethanol gas combo absorb a bunch of moisture. I now think maybe we should use a water separator filter on gas engines like we do on all diesels.

Just some thoughts out loud.

CHase

Sounds like something Art Arfons did before he started playing with P-51 engines...
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Osiyo, Older brother,

nope it was a pro0duction engine set up for Indy 500. they were doing well and had good lap times and looked to be very competitive until.........

major flaws in the crankshaft extension welds for the removable starter surfaced.

They did not pursue the potential of the engine till the early sixties with out the DOHCs, but, with superchargers. The tooling and molds for allthe top end stuff still exists.

Dohi

EWD/Chase

I'm building a Ken Hankinson 26' triple cockpit runabout that is a copy of a 1930's Chris with upswept deck. Count me in.

Cool Re: old new and classic speedboats

Thanks Chase & Thorne for your response to my post today: Classy little Runabouts
    Count me in also - I ordered the plans for the 16' Hacker/Zimmer gentlemans runabout from wooden boat last Frriday.
    Going to need & will appreciate all the input and advice I can get on this project. Been in the planning stages for years. Time to getter done.

Vital

" Need has nothing to do with it "

I

Be careful about putting automotive engines in boats. Not saying that it can't - or shouldn't - be done, but often silly mistakes are made than can kill the engine, the boat, or you. There is a reason for special marine carbs (if not fuel injected); if you don't know why, stop. Don't put an auto engine in your boat until you know. Ventilation is a real big deal - gas fumes will build up in the hull if there is even a minute leak in a fuel line or fitting and all of a sudden...KABOOM! Engine cooling and engine compartment cooling are important - the auto engine is used to being cooled both internally from the radiator and externally from the air flow over the engine from the rad and from the open underside of the car; a boat hopefully won't be open under the engine (if it is, cooling isn't your biggest problem) so you have a lot of ambient heat to get rid of. Lastly is torque. Lots of high-revving power is fine, but it is torque that moves a boat. Make sure that you match the engine & gearbox carefully to provide the torque needed at the shaft at the proper place in the engine's rpm /power band.

Don't take me wrong, here; I'm not saying that you can't do this. I'm just sayin' that there is a lot of subtlety involved in getting it right.
    Last edited by mmd; 03-10-2009 at 04:31 PM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Count me in as supporting a separate category for speedboats. . . .though mostly because it will make it real easy for me to ignore threads about these stupid, goddamn noisy, pollution-spraying, chump-barges. Please take your own section of the forum, your own lakes, your own sections of the river, and I'll happily take my kayaks and other small craft to somewhere else where you'll not be. A speedboat is as welcome on a canoeing river as a motorcycle is on a hiking trail--let's keep them separate to improve everybody's enjoyment!

Here's my favorite pair of powerboats engaged in typical speedboat activities--may there be many more just like 'em:

Here's my baby, List Best, during sea trials in Chatham. Pease First Light #00001- trying to get a cross between the Sea Bright Skiff and some salty New England lines.

Another angle

Last one.... for now

Neal, is that boat built to your own design? Can you provide some details? dimensions, outboard size, performance, materials and construction method, etc.

Paul-

I would like to think I had some say in the lines: it took me about 5 years of looking and research to come up with what I wanted. Matt Smith did the drawings based on what Brad and Mike Pease ultimately wanted to see in a semi-production run hull. Brad and Mike worked on getting the lines I wanted, with enough flair and just the right look forward. They are the real artists.

She is about 25.5' with 8'2" beam. Draws about 14" motor up. About 3500lb displacement.

Hull Construction

Topsides: Glued and fastened 1/2" lapstrake construction over fir frames, sealed in epoxy.
    Decks: Plywood over deck beams of fir, sheathed with Dynel laid in epoxy.
    Bottom: Two layers of 3/4's" ply, epoxy, cloth, composite.
    Framing: Straight grain Douglas fir.
    Fastenings: Stainless steel.
    Coamings: Toe rails, console trim of wana.

Power: 140hp Suzuki 4stk, 24knots at 3/4 throttle, but cruises nicely and barely sips any fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by neal debonte View Post
    trying to get a cross between the Sea Bright Skiff and some salty New England lines.
    I'd say y'all hit a home run... she's a good looking boat, also really like the color scheme. Congrats.