Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alaskan Yellow Cedar vs. Port Orford

Default Re: Alaskan Yellow Cedar vs. Port Orford

Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post

Have you crossed the "5.75" figure for POC with the 4.4 that the chart shows for AYC? 6.2 and 4.4 would be 29% right?
    Yes, you're right I did.

But riftsawn DF with a 6.2% shrinkage rate substituted for flatsawn AYC with a 6.0% shrinkage rate remains a perfect match.

Especially when most AYC comes from smaller logs and will be found as flatsawn and riftsawn DF isn't difficult to come by.

Yep, I understand the main point made, and I took the crossed figures as "typos"; just didn't know if you might have wanted to edit them.

I'm curious, what is an average sized AYC saw log these days?

Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post

I'm curious, what is an average sized AYC saw log these days?
    I don't see enough of it. A better answer would be from somebody in coastal British Columbia.

Hi All -

Just for future browser's reference: I've gone with Port Orford, as 1) I could get it dry (kiln) & 2) was substantially (~40%) cheaper than the AYC. I've made (read: been forced to make) the decision to replace even more planks (buying ~950 bd. ft.), so the savings ended up being thousands.

I am waiting for pics of it. Once I approve the material based on the pics, it'll be shipped. As soon as I can see the product itself (2-3 weeks) I will post pricing & where I got it. So far, things seem good. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again for all the info - I've learned a lot here.

Garret

Hello Gents,

I have a stash of clear AYC in Portland. I do not know if it is the right size for planking or not but contact me if you want to discuss it

Glen H

Hi All -

Just to finish this up - and do what I said I would do: post how it turned out.

First, I did correspond with Glen (poster above) & he has some good prices on AYC (& also teak) & seems like a real straight shooter. However, by the time he posted, I had already made a deal for POC with Keith at Easy Creek Lumber in Lorane, Oregon.

He gave me what I thought was a very fair price & packed it *very* nicely for shipping (rugged palette, well covered in heavy plastic & an abundance of strapping). Came through from Oregon to Maine in perfect shape in 7 days.

The wood is excellent quality. It was advertised as clear & out of 980 bd. ft - one board (2x8 x 10) had 6 pin knots in it - none through. All the rest had no knots or one very small pin knot.

I am very happy with the quality & service - so I wanted to pass the info along. Always nice to be able to say someone does a good job!

Thanks again for all the help,

Garret

BTW - folks were right about the smell of POC - wonderful!