Thread: Chessie Flyer, thoughts?

Default Chessie Flyer, thoughts?

Anyone got any opinions about this Glen-L design? Seems to fit the bill. Trailerable, shallow draft, easy to build. Anybody built one, sailed one, any better alternatives come to mind? Would appreciate your input.

Chris

Default Re: Chessie Flyer, thoughts?

Chris, my only thought is that its a beautiful boat and if I lived where it made sense to have a sharpie that is probably the one I'd go for. One of my favourite sharpies. No doubt someone will come along and tell you should build Brewer's Mystic at four feet longer, or one of the many versions of Egret (Oughtred, Parker, et al) or simply to express an irrational hatred of Glen-L, but Chessie Flyer is still one of the most nicely drawn of its type. Got study plans yet?

Thanks Jim. Haven't bought the study plans yet. Checked out 'Egret' not enough room below, and Mystic, too big. Flyer seems about right, just wondered if there was a down side and then there is that Glen-L taboo thing. What's that all about? Thanks

Chris

Ted Brewer has a shallow keel boat mentioned in "Pocket Cruisers for Backyard Builder" by Gerr called windswept that is comparable:

Chrisk, this is the first I've seen of this Brewer design. An almost dead flat bottom that sacrafices extreme shoal draft to hang what I assume to be a ballast keel but also keeps the low cabin free of a big centerboard trunk. Compare to Chessie Flyer with a board up draft of 9":

Yep, I am also a fan of the Chessie Flyer.
    But the cabin layout for Brewer's Windswept is much better in my opinion. A partitioned off area for a WC and a hanging closet and the berth is separate from the general sitting area. No pesky centerboard to get in the way and I can deal with 2 ft draft into any of my local reservoirs OK. The yawl rig keeps the cockpit free of masts. Not sure about the dead flat bottom though. Usually they aren't so flat. I am not sure what issues that flat bottom might bring.

But I like Chessie Flyer as well. and I believe Glen-L has an actual picture of one:

I am not sure if Brewer's Windswept has ever actually been built.

I've got to say, the Chessie Flyer looks better than the Brewer design. My experience of sailing sharpies indicates that keeping the ends out of the water is important. I'd want even more rocker than the Flyer has. And both are rather beamy as sharpies go.

Thanks for the replies. I really need minimum draft so the 2' on Windswept puts it out of the question. I don't quite understand the logic of that keel, anyhow. Dave Gerr drew one of my favorite boats called Madrigal, you don't hear of it much. I can't think of any other boats that fit the bill, I like the layout, the draft and the split rig. Guess I'll order yet another set of study plans!

Chris

I guess you've looked at the Norwalk Island Sharpies? That's where I would go to fill this bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I guess you've looked at the Norwalk Island Sharpies? That's where I would go to fill this bill.
    Unless you also want a good looking boat (No offence intended, Mr Kirby, if you're out there.)

Built a couple of Glen-L boats, didn't have a problem. They've put legions of home built boats on the water for decades.

I think much of the anti-Glen-L-ism stems from them outselling other designers because they have a better website

Seeing what the boat will look like in real life is an ENORMOUS advantage when trying to select a boat plan!
    1947 Nordic Folkboat "Nina"

Interesting. This is why I asked, I've never heard of David Payne before or his Paketi design. Still much prefer the Flyer though. I even bought the plans for the Norwalk Island sharpie 26. I think one of the things I like is it's simplicity. Anyhow, thanks again

Chris

So, Chris, did you ever get around to purchasing plans or getting started on a Flyer? I'm eager to hear of your thoughts and progress, as my wife and I hav ebeen eyeing the Flyer for a few years now - just waiting for enough ducks to be in a row to get started!

Would love an update!