Thread: P.E.I. lobster boat

Default P.E.I. lobster boat

Thought some folks might enjoy a photo of a 60s, Prince Edward Island lobster boat, which I noticed this summer.

The headwaters of the Petaluma River and up a hill. ,CA

Default Re: P.E.I. lobster boat

I am certainly no expert on hull design but this thing looks like it would ride fast and level. It looks beautiful.
    ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..

And a shot from astern.

Also looks narrow on the waterline...looks fast!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

yep, fast

but don't put me in her in a cross swell!

WAY narrower than current fashion.

That boat looks more like a Yacht than a lobster boat, just judging from the artistry of her hull form.

And note the gracefull, small house.

I saw a couple of old Jonesport or Beals Island boats when we cruised the Maine Coast, and they did not reflect such a beam-length ratio as this example.

Moby Nick

The headwaters of the Petaluma River and up a hill. ,CA

Lookin' at that stern shot, she sure aint as beamy as I first thought. Hey, has this shot been taken with a curved lens?
    ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..

That looks like a six-foot ladder, judging by the number of steps, which looks to be about the same as the boat's beam. She looks very narrow for her length. Very nice lines.

I've seen these things off the coast of NS when we would enter or leave harbour. I always thought the guys who fished from them where nuts. This only confirms my original observation. Pretty boat, but not one I'd go out on the big blue sea on.

Judging from where she was located, on the south side of P.E.I., she would have fished along shore in the the shallow waters of Northumberland Strait. Maximum depth of around 90' mid-channel, 10 to 40' alongshore. Can build-up a very nasty, confused chop very quickly.
    She appeared to be about 40', and around a slight 7' beam at the transom. My guess is that the narrow beam would have been to allow lower power, and better fuel economy.
    Most of the modern boats are of similar length are about 12' beam now, and mostly glass.

I did a whole bunch of design & inspection work on these types of boats over the past decade. SeaB is right about the local waters that the type was developed for - sometimes referred to as "square waves". He is a bit off the mark on the current beam, tho' - they are more like 45' LOA, 44' LWL, 16' to 18' Bmax, 15' - 16' Blwl, and 4' draft. And stupid amounts of horsepower; 400hp is "normal", and 600-750 hp not unusual.

They were originally very narrow and easily driven. They were also surprisingly stable, even in a beam sea. This was due to a very low centre of gravity. As fishermen wanted continual increase in speed and deck area, the type morphed well away from their origin, although they are still very good in short, steep seas. The hull type has made some strong believers in the Carolinas where they have fished well.

The differences between the Northumberland Strait, Cape Island, and Downeast hull types are my favourite tools to use to illustrate how hull forms used for the same fishery have grown to markedly different shapes due to local conditions of use.

More modern types of Northumberland Strait hulls:

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by floatingkiwi View Post
    Lookin' at that stern shot, she sure aint as beamy as I first thought. Hey, has this shot been taken with a curved lens?
    Not the lense, I think the photo has been resized somehow and it is not near as narrow as the picture makes it seem. Look at the car in the background. It looks like a rather short car, does it not? I don't think I would make any judgements about beam based on that photo.