Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 21112

Thread: Jumping in with both feet.....

Default Re: Jumping in with both feet.....

Amazing! Congratulations and best wishes!

/fredrik

A truly outstanding outcome to a long project. And getting the boat in the water is pretty cool as well...............

Mal
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Congrats and congrats too!

Quote Originally Posted by richbeck View Post
    Congratulations Scott. I will pass on info on the happy occasion to Mark S. who is on his way to Alaska as we speak. You two make a good couple. You both seem to get a lot of pleasure out of the whole building process. Best wishes to both of you!

Richard Beck
    s/v Beckon
    Thanks Rich, I did email Mark but him heading to Alaska is a good excuse for not hearing back yet. Hope all is well with s/v Beckon?

Double congrats, Scott. I really wish I had gotten to see her when she was still in Maine.

Steveni

If you were to buy a small diesel or gas generator, could you get a similar range as just having a straight diesel? Of course with less noise while sailing.

Congratulations and blessings Susan & Scott. Fair winds in both the boat and the marriage.

Stunning thread. Subscribed. So inspiring, I may head out to the shop for an all nighter!
    A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
    http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks

All nighter eh? I hadn't thought of that. I guess pulling the odd all nighter is one way to get ahead on shop time.....
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Very nice; wonderful! One in a zillion, best!

Total Nubie here...but very impressed!

Wgmkr

getting closer..... Mast and boom constructed, painted, awaiting hardware fab....

installing conduit for wiring/cables

Got lucky again....was planning to build the mast outdoors....made friends with a co-worker with a 60' cabinet shop....

so pretty, seems a shame to paint......the mast, not Susan. Susan is perfect for me the way she is!

Last edited by scottmacc; 12-02-2018 at 04:29 AM.

I've really enjoyed this thread over the years , but I just realise I'm not subscribed so.....

This is an exciting time for you guys I know what it takes to completed a project like this. The total of all your efforts are finally coming to fruition. You have done a beautiful job Scott, and should be very proud of yourself. You guys are part of a select group of people who have started a seemingly impossible undertaking and have completed it. You will forever be able to look back on this achievement and know that you have the ability to see anything through to the end.

Best wishes to you and your beautiful bride.

Richard

Subscribed. Nice job.
    Travis.

Gday Scott, have you had the engine fitted yet? How does it go?

Yes Scott were seriously curious about what you think about the engine and how the install went.

wow, amazing. this has been a great thread to follow. can't wait to see her sailing!

Long past time for an update and from what I understand there are issues with posting pictures since in the past I have always used Photobucket but I'll try. So, last I posted I had been building the mast. that was in November of 2016. Soon afterwards Susan required a very major surgery. It was a long year but has since recovered 100%. About a month ago she gave me orders to "get that darn boat finished!". So in a whirlwind of a month I have stepped the mast, completing all the rigging, Finished installing the motor and all the batteries, and we have been out on "sea trials" now for the past 2 weeks. We left New Bern and headed north through the Dismal Swamp. Right now we are in Cape Charles on Virginia's Eastern Shore. It has been quite a test for the electric yacht motor and battery package. Short of a beautiful first sail from New Bern to Oriental, the rest of the trip has been motoring with very little effective motor sailing. The winds have been light, and/or on the nose the entire trip but such is sailing. Our plan is to keep heading north until we reach Southwest Harbor, ME. As for the motor, it provides immediate strong power. Last week we got stuck waiting for a bridge to open on the Alligator River just before entering the Arbemarle Sound. For once we had strong wind blowing from behind. Unfortunately the bridge was in the way an the wind and waves did their best to drive us forward. The motor though had plenty of power to fight back as we did donuts for about 30 minutes waiting for the bridge to open. It's currently in the midst of a reconstruction project which caused the delays.

We tend to get about 30 miles of motoring at about 3.75-4 knots before the agm 400ah bank approaches 50%. As we get down close to 60% if we still have a ways to go, we fire up the Honda EU2000 which will charge while we'll still motoring. The only downfall to the system is that to reach the 30 miles or so, we are going slower than the boats with diesels. But is works, and it's clean, and it's quiet.

First sail, Neuse Rivebr />

Arrival in Oriental, NC

Greeted by friends
    Last edited by scottmacc; 12-02-2018 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scottmacc View Post
    Long past time for an update and from what I understand there are issues with posting pictures since in the past I have always used Photobucket but I'll try. So, last I posted I had been building the mast. that was in November of 2016. Soon afterwards Susan required a very major surgery. It was a long year but has since recovered 100%. About a month ago she gave me orders to "get that darn boat finished!". So in a whirlwind of a month I have stepped the mast, completing all the rigging, Finished installing the motor and all the batteries, and we have been out on "sea trials" now for the past 2 weeks. We left New Bern and headed north through the Dismal Swamp. Right now we are in Cape Charles on Virginia's Eastern Shore. It has been quite a test for the electric yacht motor and battery package. Short of a beautiful first sail from New Bern to Oriental, the rest of the trip has been motoring with very little effective motor sailing. The winds have been light, and/or on the nose the entire trip but such is sailing. Our plan is to keep heading north until we reach Southwest Harbor, ME. As for the motor, it provides immediate strong power. Last week we got stuck waiting for a bridge to open on the Alligator River just before entering the Arbemarle Sound. For once we had strong wind blowing from behind. Unfortunately the bridge was in the way an the wind and waves did their best to drive us forward. The motor though had plenty of power to fight back as we did donuts for about 30 minutes waiting for the bridge to open. It's currently in the midst of a reconstsruction project which caused the delays.

We tend to get about 30 miles of motoring at about 3.75-4 knots before the agm 400ah bank approaches 50%. As we get down close to 60% if we still have a ways to go, we fire up the Honda EU2000 which will charge while we'll still motoring. The only downfall to the system is that to reach the 30 miles or so, we are going slower than the boats with diesels. But is works, and it's clean, and it's quiet.
    Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see some pics of the boat underway. Happy to hear the health issues are past as well. Picture posting has actually gotten easier as you can now post direct to the forum, no third party hosting necessary so post away!
    Tom

Glad to hear Susan has made a full recovery, and that you are on your way. The mouth of the Chesapeake can have a tidal current of 7 knots, so it will challenge all slower speed boats. Get someone in Cape Charles to take you up to the grocery store if you need supplies. I lived there for years. Everyone knows everyone, and they will help you out if you need it.

Tell us more about the motor once you get to know her a bit better. I want to use electric propulsion in my boat as well.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Wonderful! Would love to see pictures!!

Congratulations!
    Reach out if you get to Long Island. I'm moored in Mt Sinai, you can raft up if you wish. If you stop in Port Jeff or Mt Sinai, I can pick you up for a supply run, or just buy you a beer.

Out cruising. Fantastic!
    -Dave

Last edited by scottmacc; 12-02-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Dismal Swamp Canal

Carriers Reagan and Bush

Onancock, VA

Finastkind. I hope we cross wakes sometime next year when I finally start my life as a snow bird.

Wonderful!!!!!!

This has been a great thread. Congratulations to the both of you on a dream come true through hard work and perserverance. May you see many happy horizons!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

It's good to know that you got out of New Bern before the hurricane. I hope the places and folks you left behind faired OK. My folks lived there for 25 years. My Dad is buried in the church yard of Christ Church (Episcopal). Mom moved north a few years ago, so missed the hurricane, but her old house wasn't damaged.

Again, you vessel is a wonderful creation. I hope you keep us updated with your voyages.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

more please!

Beautiful!

Terrific. The stuff dreams are made of.