Thread: Where to find runabout boat plans?

Default Where to find runabout boat plans?

I am currently seeking plans for a runabout as a new project. I am interested in older Hacker and Gar Wood designs. Does anyone have any resources for finding free, or inexpensive plans? Perhaps you have some plans you are willing to part with, or make copies of?

Also, please tell me about your experiences building and operating your boat!

I am new to the forum, and if this has been discussed before, feel free to refer me to older threads.

Thank you for any help.
    ~Jon

Default Re: Where to find runabout boat plans?

"The hand feeds the mind."
    Weston Farmer

Welcome Jon.

although relatively new here on this forum I have been involved in restoring and building wooden boats since my teens in the early 60's.

Even though I like a good all out type A sailboat as well as anyone and love the beauty of many cruising boats my biggest love is and always has been stylish wooden runabouts.

There are many things to consider if you are serious about building one. I will assume since you mention Hacker and GarWood that you are primarily interested in the inboard runabouts.

There are bunches of nice plans sets out there but they are not "cheap" however they are very reasonable and the cost of a good set of plans will be saved on the first day of lofting. If you look at the ones available form Wooden Boat they are very nice designs but they do mean it when they say "advanced" skill levels.

If you are determined to build a GarWood (I own a 16 footer myself) or a Hacker (I just sold one for my neighbor here in NH to a friend in Colorado last year) You will need the best plans possible. Both Hacker and Garwood used certain little tricks of construction unique to thier boats for the most part. Even CrisCraft and Century had thier little unique ways.

There are copies for free of parts of the articles from the fifties on line at svensons. But you had better be a seasoned ( at least on your third boat) to build from so little detail. The nuances of planing mid to high speed runabouts and their design are endless in count. Just putting a row of cedar shingles 1/4 thick at the back 14 inches long (Grandpa's fix) got me ten MPH (28 MPH to 40 On the speedo) on my first outboard runabout In the early sixties with a 40HP Merc.

One good source:

http://www.classicwoodenboatplans.com/

Scroll to the bottom for actual boat plans including a GarWood Speedster and racing Hackers.

You Might also want to study the plans of Ken Hankinson which are now exclusive to GlenL

http://www.boatdesigns.com/departments.asp?dept=718

http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=778
    http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=845
    one of my favorites:
    http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=783

ALSO NOTE THEY ARE ONE SOURCE for inboard hardware.

http://www.boatdesigns.com/departments.asp?dept=9

http://www.svensons.com/boat/

I personally am looking for stepped designs larger than the 100 CuIn class to build. Probably in a GarWood Speedster style but with double or shingle stepped modified V bottom with aereation channels to feed air into the trialing edges of the steps in order to reduce drag.

Maybe we can get a speedster/runabout forum or at least sticky going on here.

I am for sure up for it!!!!!

who Knows? Maybe we could even get Bill Johns and the "Obsession" crew involved. Google them and vintage APBA racing.

Chase

Quote Originally Posted by jon_fairley View Post
    I am currently seeking plans for a runabout as a new project. I am interested in older Hacker and Gar Wood designs. Does anyone have any resources for finding free, or inexpensive plans? Perhaps you have some plans you are willing to part with, or make copies of?

Also, please tell me about your experiences building and operating your boat!

I am new to the forum, and if this has been discussed before, feel free to refer me to older threads.

Thank you for any help.
    ~Jon
    I have several of Hackers plans.
    The best source I've ever found is in one book;

The Runabout Book by Motorboating Ideal Series ( 1944)

This book has ffull blueprints and building instructions .

THE RUNABOUT BOOK COMPLETE DESIGNS FOR EIGHTEEN SMART RUNABOUTS AND A SELECTED GROUP OF CRUISERS, SAILBOATS, DINGHIES AND UTILITY TYPES VOLUME 22 Copyright, 1944
    TABLE OF CONTENTS V-bottom Runabouts Marybelle, a 14-footer (John L. Hacker) Lorraine, a fast 16-footer (John L. Hacker) Anita, trim little 16-footer (John L. Hacker) Flapper, single cockpit 18-footer (John L. Hacker) Imp, a smart 18-footer (N. C. Cushing) Gladys, a 20-footer, easily driven (John L. Hacker) Slicque, an economical 21-footer (Charles D. Mower) Priscilla, 21-foot monoplane (John L. Hacker) Suzette, a 22-foot utility runabout (John L. Hacker) Fleetfoot, a fine 22-footer (John L. Hacker) Stepby, 23-foot double-ender (William Atkin) Chiquita, 23-foot cruising runabout (John L. Hacker) White Cap, double cockpit 25-footer (John L. Hacker) Pacer, 26-footer with cockpits fore and aft (Charles D. Mower) Miss A.P.B.A., 26-foot Gold Cup boat (John L. Hacker) Irene, a substantial 28-footer (John L. Hacker) Marquita, 30-footer with double cockpit (Charles D. Mower) Snorter, a heavy weather 33-footer (William Atkin) 7 11 14 16 20 22 26 28 31 34 38 40 43 46 48 53 57 59 Sailboats (Including Dinghies and Auxiliaries) Jan, 10-foot flat bottom sailing skiff (William Atkin) Snapper, 12-foot round bottom sailing dinghy (Charles D. Mower) Buster, another 12-foot sailing dinghy (Charles D. Mower) Smarty, flat bottom 14-footer for sail or outboard (Charles D. Mower) Frances, 18-foot V-bottom Marconi cat (Charles D. Mower) Grace, 21-foot gaff-rigged Cape Cod cat (Charles D. Mower) Caper, a 22-foot auxiliary Cape Cod cat (Charles D. Mower) Dolores, 24-foot auxiliary cruising knockabout (Charles D. Mower) Elf, 31-foot sloop-rigged auxiliary (William Atkin) Pronto, 40-foot schooner-rigged motor sailer (Charles D. Mower) 62 65 67 69 70 72 74 76 80 83 Cruisers, and Other Types Shorty, a 20-foot raised deck cruiser (Charles D. Mower) Margie, V-bottom 31-foot raised deck cruiser (John L. Hacker) Comfy, a 32-foot raised deck cruiser, round bottom (Charles D. Mower) Ruth, 33-foot V-bottom fisherman's cruiser (John L. Hacker) Florence, a double cabin 36-footer (John L. Hacker) Sue, flat bottom 15-foot motor skiff (William Atkin) Transco, 18-foot clinker-built outboard runabout (Charles D. Mower) 87 89 65 99 103 108 111

The book is out of print and expensive, I paid $100.00 for mine from a antique book dealer and its pristine.
    The other source and what I recommend highly is the Plans dept. at Mystic Seaport Museum. They charge $10 a page and Hacker donated his entire portfolio to them .They also have a lot of others. If you have a Hacker design that you want and I have it, I'll make you a copy as they are now in the public domain.

Anyone have info on plans sources for 16-18' lapstrake outboard runabouts such as Penn Yan and Thompson?

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/wf/trumpet/index.htm

on either of these I would modify the design and add at least the late Thompson bow flare. Personally I wold go whole hog and add Carolina style bow flare. Look up the wooden boat article on the Grady White makeover to center console fish boat for info on the additional flare.

Chase

Thanks for your reply Chase. Not exactly what I had in mind. The closest so far seems to be Sea Rover on the Svensons site. It is for ply construction but has an option for lapstrake sides. What I had in mind was using the same construction method as lyman [lapstrake on bent frames] Would sure be interested in hearing from someone who has done this. Phil

Jon growing up I had extensive experience with Thompson, Lyman, and PenYan Lapstrake boats. On Squam, a sizable lake with a reputation for nasty water conditions in a blow, Winnepissaukee, the great salt pond in Charlestown RI, The CT sound and The Block IS Ri sound (virtually open water). At dispalcement speed and semi displacement speed the Lyman wins, both in required powere and in comfort of ride. This is to say up to about 20 mph where the Lyman is planing but stern down like a 20s speed boat. Above that speed the Thompson is clearly the king. It's wider beam and flat minimum V towards the stern resembles a 50s speedboat to great extent. In a chope or slugging through Block Island rollers it's Carolina Sport Fisherman bow flair and hollow entry make going to Blcock Island From Matunick or Galalie in the equivalent 16 ft. Lyman look like insanity. The Thompson does need about 25% more power than a Lyman to plane out properly, but when it does it is the difference from the Lyman 16 ft at 21 mph with 35 hhp Evinrude, to the Thompson at 29 mph with a 40hp Johnson is the difference between being aboe to water ski or not as we found out in '65.

Check out The Thomjpson gang at

http://www.thompsondockside.com/

There may be someone near you with a late 50s or a 60s boat to photgraph or even take lines off. So you plan on out board or inboard power, or stern dirve or even stern jet power?

You can call me if you like at 603 938 5282. I might even be able to draw modify or help with lines and offsets, and have a raft of building tips based on thompson restorations.

Chase
    Last edited by ChaseKenyon; 01-15-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. As luck would have it, my local library has a few volumes of the Motorboating Ideal series, and I plan to page through them and find a boat that meets my requirements in terms of design and construction.

Thanks again Chase, your comparison of Lyman and Thompson was informative. Most of my experience afloat has been under sail. The Thompson Sea Coaster seems to have the look that appeals to me the most. It was interesting to hear your comments on their performance differences. Definitely more interested in outboard power at this point.
    Also have a developing interest in 1950s outboards OMC, not too interested in anything above 35 hp. Mainly due to the weight and fuel burn.
    We have quite a variety of sea and lake conditions here within a short distance. Where I sail its quite shallow and a nasty chop can build up quickly. I don't forsee going offshore out of the sight of land on the Atlantic side in anything but a sail boat. Trying to give some idea of the likely conditions. Phil