Thread: Bonnie ll design 18 foot c.b. ply sloop

Default Bonnie ll design 18 foot c.b. ply sloop

If anyone has built or sailed this design, I would be very interested in hearing your comments. It was a reworking for ply by Donohue in 1954, of an earlier design that had appeared in Mechanix Illustrated. I've had the study plans for years and find them quite appealing in appearance and for what, appears to be a fairly simple build.

Default Re: Bonnie ll design 18 foot c.b. ply sloop

Bonnie II:

#5163--BONNIE II
    This sturdy, 18-foot auxiliary sloop features seaworthiness and comfort.
    by J. A. Donohue
    Back in 1940, the boating editor of "Mechanix Illustrated" undertook to design and build a boat to meet the requirements of a majority of readers. It seems that practically everybody wanted a boat with an engine and a vast majority liked sailing, so it was quickly settled that the boat should have both sail and power. Then, too, most people wanted a boat of moderate size and ample beam with a roomy cockpit for fishing and a comfortable cabin for overnight trips; shallow draft was desired, so that a dinghy would not be needed and the boat might be beached if necessary; V-bottom hulls were first choice because of their seaworthiness and ease of construction; a fair turn of speed was wanted, both under sail and power; and last, but far from least, the boat had to be well built at moderate cost. How well the designer met the requirements is evidenced by the continued popularity of the original "Bonnie". Some fourteen years later, Dick Donohue, of Seattle, Wash., bought a set of plans. Before he got around to building, he had the opportunity to buy a second-hand set of sails, mast, boom and rigging from a Mercury Class boat. Knowing that "Bonnie’s" sail area, about 165 sq. ft., was very close to that of a Mercury, he decided that with some careful figuring he could adapt the plans and come up with a workable design. Other changes were incorporated, mostly because of a desire to reduce the costs even more than in the original "Bonnie". The result, a lighter boat with a new sail plan, is now presented anew as "Bonnie II".
    HOME PAGE

http://dngoodchild.com/divide_for_sail_boats.htm

Thanks Jim, yes that's it. Phil

I had one those about thirty years ago. I taught myself to sail with Royces sailing book and my Bonnie 2. A great boat to learn with as it is very forgiving.

I am restoring one of these right now . I need mast plans for it . do you have a copy of the mast plans?

I have the plans that I photocopied from a book years ago, they include minimal plans for the mast. It appears to me that it would be possible to build from these plans. A beginner would likely need more comprehensive plans. You are welcome to the plans I have, if you want to PM me with your address, I will send them to you.

In the text, the author points out that he was able to purchase the sails, mast, boom, and rigging from a Mercury class boat. Personally I don't know anything about the Mercury class, but if you do or can find the info, my understanding is that the plans reproduce that mast, boom, and rigging so that Mercury class sails could be used.

I am looking for the Bonnie II named Lollipop. I was her caretaker from 1967 to 1987. Last information I have is that she was donated to The Texas Seaport Museum in Galveston. Any leads as to her location would be most appreciated. I would love to touch her bottom one more time. birkmanj@gmail.com