Thread: Twister plans needed

Default Twister plans needed

I'm about to commence restoration of a timber Twister. The boat was built in the late 60s in Sydney by a Danish builder named Johannsen. I have no idea where I might be able to obtain plans for a Twister. Any ideas? Rick

Default Re: Twister plans needed

Did you try the Twister Class Association?

http://www.twister.org.uk/

Steven

Seems you can get them from Holman And Pye:

http://pub4.bravenet.com/forum/258422775/show/810622

Steven

Thanks Steven! I have already written to the Twister Association but had no reply just yet. I also checked their forum but, for some reason, didn't find the thread you found. Great to hear that Holman is still in business! They seem to have no website so I'll phone them when it's Monday in the UK. I'll let you know what I find out. Rick

If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

I certainly would Andrew, that's very good of you! I was going to call them tomorrow night (our time) but I'll wait to see how you go. I found the address of Holman and Pye on a number of sites that looked current, and they all had the same phone number that you have, so it should be okay.

The Twister has rough repairs to some frames, the upper part of the transom looks like it had a collision with the HMAS Melbourne, the cockpit is shot and I'd like to know how the keel and ballast are set up. The plans should be really useful for repairing these areas, among other things. Great to hear your comments on the quality of the boat - I hope we can restore this one to perform as she should.

We also have a Folkboat, which is, of course, a great boat, but we're really looking forward to getting Windrose up and running nevertheless. It will take a year or two to complete though. I'm not sure what we'll do with two yachts but one thought is to keep Windrose in Tasmania, where the sailing is superb, and the Folkboat here in Port Stephens (New South Wales) where the sailing is also very good but a little more suited to wetter sailing for more of the year. Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'm not sure what we'll do with two yachts but one thought is to keep Windrose in Tasmania, where the sailing is superb, and the Folkboat here in Port Stephens (New South Wales) where the sailing is also very good but a little more suited to wetter sailing for more of the year. Rick
    I'll look after it for you down here(lol) -they are beautiful boats. There is a timber one down here built a number of years ago in Tassie and she is just perfect.

good luck with fixing her up and please post lots of pics!

regards,

AD

Thanks AD! We'll be in Tassie in February for the Wooden Boat Festival. I'd love to have a look at another Twister, especially one in good nick. I see you're at Kettering - any chance do you think of being able to have a good look at the Twister you mentioned? I've posted pics of Windrose on other threads, but here she is again, just for you! Rick

Rick,

the Tassie twister is called Able Mabel and is owned by Roger Harwood who built her. AFAIK, she will be on the water at the festival. Roger is a really nice bloke and I am sure he would love to show you his boat.

regards,

AD

Thanks AD - I'll keep an eye out for Able Mabel at the festival. Hope Roger doesn't mind if I take several hundred photos!! Hope we get a chance to meet you too - will you have a boat on show? Rick

If you are able to get the plans, please let us all know where and how much they cost. Beautiful boat.
    Robert

"Theirs is the curse of the Gypsy blood..."

No problem. According to the Twister Association (UK), the guy at Holman and Pye who has/had the plans has now retired but may still be able to provide plans. I'm just waiting to see how Andrew goes in contacting Holman and Pye directly (see Andrew's post above).

I measured the mast yesterday; it's just over 10m. This surprised me as it's about the same height as the Folkboat's mast, even though it's a much bigger boat - not much longer but it has double the displacement, is a lot wider and much deeper (you can stand upright in it - hallelujah!). It is a much beefier spar though, and the boom is much bigger than the Folkboat's. Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 01-13-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I think that the wood Twister is just about the best deep keel boat under 30ft, all things considered.
    I've chartered one on several occasions. The Twister is the Real Deal. Kim Holman just got it right. Lovely boats (except when going astern, or when entering a crowded lock with a full gale up the backside and two crew, one of whom has a frozen shoulder and the other is incapable of tying any reliable knot )

Used to sail very regularly in a North Sea 24 as well - the 31 foot version of that design. We went through some rough weather in that boat (mostly in the west English channel and across to the west of Ireland) Never had any worries. Both are top class sea boats.

Good choice!
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Please excuse a bit of thread drift, but if you haven't, you should read:

Sailing the Pacific: A Voyage Across the Longest Stretch of Water on Earth, and a Journey into Its Past

by Miles Hordern

His boat is a Twister, in which he sails from NZ to South America and back.

Brian

Thanks Andrew, greatly appreciated. And thanks Brian, I'll certainly be ordering a copy of that one ... er, I've actually just ordered it from Amazon $2!!!! Rick

I also ordered a copy of that book. Thanks for the reference.
    Robert

"Theirs is the curse of the Gypsy blood..."

I measured the mast yesterday; it's just over 10m. This suirprised me as it's about the same height as the Folkboat's mast, even though it's a much bigger boat - not much longer but it has double the displacement, is a lot wider and much deeper (you can stand upright in it - hallelujah!). It is a much beefier spar though, and the boom is much bigger than the Folkboat's. Rick

My Dad had 2 Twisters in the 70's [both rebuilt from total insurance losses - a saga in itself] They were the composite glass/timber builds.

the rigs were masthead with a big overlapping genoa. The size of the genoae depended on whether the boat was measured for IOR or not. Some of the IOR boats had an even bigger genny and a smaller main. Both ours were the standard set up, much prefered by Dad as he reckoned they balanced better.

Not the fastest 28' er around but none better in heavy weather.

I'll stick with the standard setup. I think the main is in quite good condition but if I do replace it, I'll have it fully battened - that would be the only change from original. Anyway, it'll be years before I need to worry about that!

Andrew, thanks for keeping up the phoning - let me know if you get sick of it and I'll write them a letter! Rick

Thanks AD - I'll keep an eye out for Able Mabel at the festival. Hope Roger doesn't mind if I take several hundred photos!! Hope we get a chance to meet you too - will you have a boat on show? Rick

Rick, we'll only have a lovely little shellback and a small Gartside boat this year as timings precluded having a completed larger boat there (2 tirriks in the shed at the moment 1/2 built). I'm going to have a steaming setup and other tools there which may be of interest as you have to re-do some frames don't you?

When I lived in Brisbane there was a lovely Twister berthed at the Royal that I had to walk past sometimes (as well as a lovely Hess cutter) and when either of them came out onto the hard it was like seeing a thing of beauty amongst all the plastic boats. I reckon when you have finished doing her up you will be one happy fella.

Question for ACB - Regarding the plans. Can Anyone order a set from Mr Cooper? I'd certainly like to get a set to add to the collection and maybe squeeze out a half model?

regards,

AD

Thanks Andrew. Is there an online catalogue of Holman &Pye plans or some info on their other designs? What did KH design in the 33-38' range that is similar?

Whilst we're on a Holman thread how about this one

http://yachthub.com/index.html?page=....html?de=45827

regards,

AD
    Last edited by bloggs68; 01-17-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Andrew, that's great! Thanks very much! I'll send a money order to H & P on Monday for two sets, one for me and one for AD in Tasmania. You never know, this could be the beginning of a Twister led economic recovery! I really appreciate your help with this. Regards, Rick

AD, yes, we're reframing, so seeing your steaming setup would be great. I'm not sure whether we'll need to replace whole frames yet. We're currently looking at running laminated intermediate frames around the problem areas, as the original frames seem to be in good condition otherwise and, although they've cracked, they haven't separated anywhere. I'll be doing quite a bit of refastening though so if whole, cracked frames have to be refastened, obviously I'll look at replacing the whole frame in those instances. I'll probably laminate the frames, especially around the tight turns, based on the logic that if the original steamed frames couldn't take it, then it's pretty likely that my steam bent frames will crack too. Rick

Thanks Andrew.

Any pics/lines of Shaker anywhere (apologies if they have been posted elsewhere)? Maybe I'll need a set of those plans too!

AD
    Last edited by bloggs68; 01-17-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Shaker, his personal boat, was in essence a North Sea 24 (31ft) with a counter, taking her to 34ft. Only two in wood, Shaker herself and Ngaire,
    Ngaire - she was'nt green by any chance? I have a recollection of a Ngaire that sounds very like that you describe, at my fathers boatyard back in around 1973. I used to have the job of anti-fouling her every winter.
    She was based in Abersoch/Pwllheli in North Wales at the time.

Andrew and Andrew
    I tried this morning to send a money order to H & P for the plans but it seems this is no longer a service that Australia Post can offer. They'll only send an Australian money order (in AUD) or arrange a Western Union transfer. I don't know whether the `remaining vestige' of H & P would be able to handle a Western Union transfer. A bank transfer would be the easiest way but I'd need the relevant account number. Andrew (UK), I've emailed the secretary (John MacMullen) of the Twister Association and asked him if he would find out how I can send funds (as I also want to join the Twister Association and need to send funds to him) to David. I appreciate that you've already gone to a whole lot of trouble to contact David so I didn't want you making another week of phone calls. However, if you know of a better way to arrange this transfer of funds, I'd be grateful for the information! Regards, Rick

Rick,

I have used Travelex to send money over to Iain Oughtred before - they basically write out a " cheque" that can be banked in the UK and you mail it over. I have to send another royalty over to IO soI would be happy to organise it from this end if you like and I'll get a set sent to you if you pm me the address.

For ACB,

Do you know if plans for the "Shaker" were available from Mr Cooper and how much?

regards,

AD

I have just read the exchange of e mails re Twister plans with interest having only recently joined the Forum. I owned the original Twister, Twister of Mersea from 1988 till 1992. She was originally built for Kim Holman by his brother Jack who ran Uphams yard in Brixham. In her early life she won everything, Cowes Week, Junior Offshore Group and actually took part in the Half Ton Cup in La Rochelle in 1968, I think. She was by that time out classed by modern yachts, but never-the -less appeared to acquit herself well. During the time I had her a great deal of work was carried out, complete strip of the hull and a little re-splining, new teak cockpit fitted, all varnish stripped, windows removed and re-chromed, strap floors re-galvanised and epoxied and put back, re-engined, stainless mast step fitted etc. The list goes on. She was an absolutely brilliant boat and for three years running we won our Class in Scottish Series.
    However with a growing family she had to go and we bought a Northney 34, also referred to above. A prettier boat would be hard to find, though she was quite hard mouthed. Thankfully ours had wheel steering which took much of the effort out of steering. The Northney is the fibreglass version of Shaker, which was the boat Kim Holman had built for himself after Twister. I looked at Shaker when I had decided to sell Twister, but while beautifully built by Tucker Brown she had a very poor interior compared to her fibreglass sisters which were built to an extremely high standard. They also had a much prettier curved transom, while Shaker's was flat.
    Sadly after 10 great years I was moved by my employers from Scotland to Monaco, but 6 years on I still receive very regular e mails from the present Owner of the Northney who is looking after her perfectly.
    I now have a Pretorian, a Holman and Pye design, which while a great boat in terms of finish and volume has nothing like the style of either Twister or the Northney.
    For interest I have a full model of Twister and a half model of both the Northney and the Pretorian, which of course means that I do have plans, received through David Cooper of H & P who has always been most helpful.
    Happy to try to answer any questions that anybody may have on either Twister or the Northney.

Hi Alan
    Thanks for your interesting post! Thanks to Andrew C-B we did manage to track down David Cooper and he has sent drawings to us here in Oz (actually there in Oz - I'm in Vietnam now). Our Twister (Windrose) was built in Sydney. She has a splined mahogany hull with quite a few soft spots that will need fixing. I think the sheer planks will need to be replaced and several other topside planks are suspect. Many frames are broken and I'll replace those too. At the recent Australian Wooden Boat Festival we saw a beautiful new Twister built by a guy from Tasmania - this was inspiring! Twister owners are certainly great fans of these boats. I haven't actually sailed on one yet! Anyway, we will commence serious work on Windrose in a few months when I'm back in Oz and I'll start a thread on the restoration. Meanwhile, another WBF member, a very talented boatbuilder also from Tasmania is considering building a Twister or another Holman design, so it'll be interesting to see what happens there. I'm sure I'll be taking you up on your offer to provide information. Thanks again for your post! Rick