Thread: cat food...in the wild

Default cat food...in the wild

My ex found out why she was going through so much cat food. she looked out the window just in time to see a bob cat knock her house cat away from the bowl...the house cat sat and waited for "bob" to finish then ate
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Default Re: cat food...in the wild

Lucky the bobcat didn't eat the housecat.

feed the housecat indoors and do not put pet food outside unless the animals are there and going to finish it all off right then.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Particularly don't leave pet food outside because it attracts raccoons,
    and cute as those furry bandits are, they carry some nasty diseases that can infect your pet (or in some cases, infect YOU).

(Oh, alright, I'll admit it, I'm a softy...
    I do put kitchen scraps out for the Creatures of the Night,
    but I walk way down the ridge so the raccoon feeding station isn't near the house.)
    Last edited by Shang; 12-13-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: adding a guilty admission.

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    .......(Oh, alright, I'll admit it, I'm a softy...
    I do put kitchen scraps out for the Creatures of the Night,
    but I walk way down the ridge so the raccoon feeding station isn't near the house.)
    Sweet...

-Yes, best to feed the kitty indoors and not put cat food outside...unless she is taken to feeding a bob cat...

I think that's too close to home especially if she lets her cat or and other pets out too...
    If the bob cat is hungry, s/he might try to eat the cat...
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

I used to feed my cats outside because that's where they liked to be most of the time. I've seen all sorts of animals helping themselves to the food, raccoons, 'possums, blue jays...but the funniest sight was watching a box turtle propped up on the edge of the bowl helping himself to the food.
    Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

I bet that has been nice to watch.

I fed a n outside cat on the porch in Alaska. Put his food in a bowl sitting on a cream separator.
    One day I was going to go to town and opened the door, and to my surprise a bull moose was standing on the porch
    eating the cat food. His huge face was maybe a foot and a half from mine. Needles to say I closed
    the door rather fast and waited him to be gone.

This was the same moose I told you about, the one that had the peeing competition with Husband on that snowy day when
    the snow was soooo deep....

Talking Re: cat food...in the wild

That's pretty bold for a Bobcat.
    They're usually more evasive.
    I've only seen one once.

I had a really smart and patient dog who would sit and wait patiently for the local skunks to finish eating from her outside bowl.

Feeding your cat inside might be a good idea for awhile.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All View Post
    That's pretty bold for a Bobcat.
    They're usually more evasive.
    I've only seen one once.

I had a really smart and patient dog who would sit and wait patiently for the local skunks to finish eating from her outside bowl.

Feeding your cat inside might be a good idea for awhile.
    Would this be your dog?

There is a huge toad that finds his way into the house and eats my dog's food. I thought it was a cancerous toad because it's body was covered with all of these round cysts which turned out that it is just stuffed to the limit with dog food nuggets. I have evicted it several times. The only thing we can figure is that it waits by the back door at night when I let the dog out and hurries in. Kind of funny trying to watch it try to escape after it has eaten too much or when it falls into the dogs water bowl at half tide and can't get out.

well, I thought it interesting that the house cat seemed to know hiom and sit by till big bro had finished...this is a cabin on a 200 acre chunck of the woods...I figure the bobcat lives in the bluff up behind where the ex gets her spring water...I'd like to find a nice bob cat kitten next spring (before it's eyes are open) and raise it on a momma cat around people...
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Yeah, but can you really afford to feed a wild cat? And how much do you know about the nutritional requirements of a bobcat? Could you be making it sick, or acclimating it to humans, which is never a good idea with wild animals?

Deep down it's simply never a good idea to feed housepets more than they will eat in a sitting, and if they don't eat their food before others bring the food inside.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

got a vet in the family (as to diet...there are a lot of ferel cats around here...that could be corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Spin_Drift View Post
    One day I was going to go to town and opened the door, and to my surprise a bull moose was standing on the porch
    eating the cat food.
    Also known as a bait station.

Brian hunts in White Horse while Spitdrift baits

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    got a vet in the family (as to diet...there are a lot of feral cats around here...that could be corrected
    A bobcat is not a feral cat. A bobcat is its own species of cat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_cat
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat

And other things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    A bobcat is not a feral cat. A bobcat is its own species of cat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_cat
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat
    I was thinking it might EAT the ferel cats...

Come on...what do you think the chances of a fat old bricklayer crawling into a bobcat den twenty feet back into the side of a bluff?...not much, I'd venture (any way, what I REALLY want is a Serval cat)

I used to put food scraps on a tree stub in a grove near my house in Norway for the fox. I could probably do it here as well, but I'm a little hesitant to taming foxes, as they have a tendency to be shot by rabid farmers. Or worse, I actually saw one poor fox blasted to pieces at a local construction site.

Still, it would be nice to have a fox come up to the house every now and then for a scratch behind the ears. Obviously I have a thing for canids.

Unusually enough, I even like crows. I had a great time sharing a hot dog with one in a parking lot. They may be very intelligent birds, but they are far too greedy for their own good. They stuff their beaks full, and it always end with someone else stealing it.

It actually reminds me of French Catholic school in New Caledonia, where we had to recite poetry:

"Maître Corbeau, sur un arbre perché,
    tenait en son bec un fromage.
    Maître Renard, par l'odeur alléché,
    Lui tint à peu près ce langage:"
    etc.
    1947 Nordic Folkboat "Nina"

Nearly 40% of fox in the Alaskan arctic are rabid. I give'em 'the shovel test'. They stay at least a shovel swing away, and I don't whack'em.

My little puddy tat Sasha would go out for wild food sometimes.....and quite possibly it was a neighbors pet monkey.....but Sasha had a very satisfied look on her face after the critter disappeared.....I hated that filthy monkey.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Nearly 40% of fox in the Alaskan arctic are rabid. I give'em 'the shovel test'. They stay at least a shovel swing away, and I don't whack'em.

so, how do they survive as a species?

Talking Re: cat food...in the wild

Quote Originally Posted by Spin_Drift View Post
    Would this be your dog?

"Elvira" was a Sheltie, she waited inside, watched out the window and whined, while a whole skunk family helped themselves.
    She didn't even bark and she was a barker.
    She must of had a bad experience with them before I found her.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    so, how do they survive as a species?
    I can only whack so many...

the birth of a new term..."whackin your fox"

But does the government actually do something about it? I don't think rabies free countries like Scandinavia, Britain, Australia, Japan and others would sit idle should the disease be introduced.
    1947 Nordic Folkboat "Nina"

I don't trust the info...how was the 40% arrived at...I would accept something more in the area of 1% or 2%

"But does the government actually do something about it? I don't think rabies free countries like Scandinavia, Britain, Australia, Japan and others would sit idle should the disease be introduced."

We've got strict regulations around vaccinating domestic animals. I imagine reliable control in wild populations isn't easy, though IIRC there have been some experiments with vaccine-laced baits.

When I lived in MA we rented an old farm house. It had a dilapidated yet reasonably serviceable barn that had become a skunk's retreat. He lived underneath, and we were all respectful of each other. It did make getting out of the car at night an exercise in caution. I remember looking out onto the small open porch one evening, and there was Mr. Skunk and my cat frolicking exactly like a pair of kittens. Nuthin' rough, just a good wrestle.

No one ever got sprayed, but we didn't have a dog! LOL. The one time I've been around a full defensive maneuver my girlfriend's dog got it at close range, right in the mouth. It was completely different than the whiff you catch on the air now and then. Quite a chemical weapon! Poor Sass was half-blind for a day, and stank for weeks, especially during damp weather.