Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Concordia...41
    Grateful Member
    • Apr 2006

Re: Sudden death of a Significant Other...

The bottom line is that the gentleman was still legally married. Thus, at his death his property goes to his wife. Sad but true. Even if he had had a will, the wife probably would have contested it.

We've had a couple of occasions over the years where a divorce was in progress and the other party kicks off. Amazing how the bitter couldn't wait to be divorced gal becomes "instant grieving widow" We even had one here in St. Augustine that won a major settlement against a trucking company when her soon-to-be (couldn't wait to be rid of the worthless bum)-ex drove under a truck making a u-turn on the highway...

Heed Vince's advice to get your affairs (not just a will) in order. Also, heed the hidden message that maybe you consider your own affairs, should the person you are with not have his/hers in order...

Comment

• Taylor Tarvin
      • Nov 2005

Sorry for the loss of your friend Vince. Sounds as though he was too nice for his own, and SOs good.

Comment

• LeeG
        • May 2002

Sorry for you loss Vince,,I can't understand why folks don't get divorced when they are no longer together, esp. if they've taken up with someone new.

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
          Lurking since 1997
          • Sep 1999

I'm sorry for your loss, Vince.

This is a situation that the S.O. in a gay relationship often faces. The disapproving family of the deceased partner swoops in and starts grabbing.
          "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Comment

• ron ll
            Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
            • Oct 2005

Having just applied for Social Security, I discovered that the woman I was married to 30 years ago for a total of four months will get my SS survivors benefits instead of my SO that I have lived with for the last 22 years . This thread is reminding me that, among other things, I need to get that changed.

Also, I have been told by an attorney friend that there is such a thing as a "marititious relationship" and in court a judge can rule based on that. He also said however, that it is a hell of a lot easier to just get married .

Comment

• John of Phoenix
              • Jun 2001

Originally posted by ron ll
              Having just applied for Social Security, I discovered that the woman I was married to 30 years ago for a total of four months will get my SS survivors benefits instead of my SO that I have lived with for the last 22 years.
              In fact if you'd had a dozen or so wives they'd ALL get a survivor's benefit as long as they haven't remarried.

Comment

• ron ll
                Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by John Teetsel
                In fact if you'd had a dozen or so wives they'd ALL get a survivor's benefit as long as they haven't remarried.
                She has remarried, but I haven't. Therefore she is my most recent legal survivor. But I may be misunderstanding it; I have a call in now to the ss office.

Comment

• Concordia...41
                  Grateful Member
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ron ll
                  She has remarried, but I haven't. Therefore she is my most recent legal survivor. But I may be misunderstanding it; I have a call in now to the ss office.
                  Here's some quick answers to common divorce / survivor / length of marriage / benefit questions:

Comment

• Hughman
                    Senior Borborygnoramus
                    • Apr 2000

Sorry to hear of your loss, Vince. Ah, the tangled mess we weave behind...
                    Hey! It's MY Hughniverse!

Comment

• ron ll
                      Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Concordia...41
                      Here's some quick answers to common divorce / survivor / length of marriage / benefit questions:

http://www.ssa.gov/gethelp1.htm
                      Thanks, good link. According to that, evidently marriages of less than ten years don't count.

Comment

• glennmajestic
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by TomF
                        Vince, I'm very sorry indeed. Dreadful situation.

Here in Canada, after 2 years of co-habitation, the common law partner assumes half the assets/liabilities of the household ...
                        Tom if you are still legally married it still gets sticky in Canada I know I'm trying to get a divorce from my first one now after 12 years of seperation but I can't find her.My fiance is getting p.oed but at least I put everything in both names.still would be a hassle if anything happened to me.
                        "Rise Again Majestic Spirit"

Comment

• Memphis Mike
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2001

Sorry Vince.

Comment

• Milo Christensen
                            Banned
                            • May 2006

What a tangled web we sometimes weave. But at least we aren't all black widow spiders, are we? Or are we? My BIL was diagnosed with an incurable cancer. He and his S.O. decided to go ahead and get married. A year later, he died. So tell me, why did he not update his will? Why were large chunks of his portfolio still jointly owned with his ex? Why has his ex's husband hired a lawyer? Why did the wife have to buy the two grown kids out in order to keep the house? We all thought this BIL was a multi-millionaire, but now his widow may lose the house.

Write it all up, put it in a trust, keep the trust documents updated.

Comment

• Vince Brennan
                              Seymour TN 37865
                              • Jun 2005

Yup. In the midst of life, and all that. At 52, he really didn't have that "intimation of mortality" yet, I suppose.
                              http://www.frayedknotarts.com

Comment

• oldsub86
                                • Nov 2006

Don't know much about the law in the USA but I think the lady should get a lawyer and sue the estranged wife if it is anything like the law in Canada.

Randy

Comment

Working...