X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floatingkiwi
    country member
    • Nov 2008

A folkboat found me

Yes, there she was,her neglected, shabby,demasted,bird evidence covered, winchless hull sitting perfectly level on an inside section of a floating dock, with maybe one more winter before scattered beginnings of rot from the top down would take a hold on her at the sheer clamps.
    I fell in love with her immediately and she is now sitting on a custom built trailer in my driveway with the hull stripped of all paint but a trace here and there, inside and out. I have removed the structure down to the deck beams fore and aft and apart from steaming and sistering a few strips of oak at some frames, am satisfied with the state of soundness.
    Time is something I have a lot of right now but money is not.Everything so far has cost me nothing but some bartered labour and the kindness of some fine folk who wanted to see unused stuff, get put to use again.
    I love wood and I love boats so she is the focus of my life right now and I am optimstically speculating that within a year ,her sails,( when I get some),will be filling with air.
    I think this forum is awesome and that it is a privelege to post on it,( this being my first),and anything anybody has to offer would be very much appreciated.
    Say, one question for those you have taken the time to get this far, thank you very much;

What is the bright orange paint on the inside of the hull at and below the waterline and should I be particular about reapplying this,what looks like,specially formulated bilge primer, or something of the like.
    For that matter, can anyone recommend from the wood out, every application I will be needing, inside and out, to the finish.
    I know paints are specially formulated for particular applications and I would say, apart from bloody outer space,would any environment be more demanding of their certain uses than that of the mighty marine.
    Fair seas, safe return.
    Kerry . New Zealander living in California.
    ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..
  • StevenBauer
    LPBC member
    • Jan 2000

Re: A folkboat found me

Kerry, that bright red/orange paint is called 'red lead primer'. It is the traditional primer used on wood below the waterline. Use the search function, there has been much discussion here.

Folkboats are great, good luck.

Steven

Comment

• Thorne
      Like my hat?
      • Aug 2005

Which "Bay Area" are you in, mate?

Yep that orange coloured stuff is red lead primer. Great stuff for keeping rot at bay and as a primer over wood and metal -- but rather toxic also. Use nitrile gloves and a good respirator when sanding it / removing it.

You can get red lead primer to replace it via various sources...depending on location.
      "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
      Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Comment

• davebrown
        jealous witchdoctor
        • Dec 2001

darn! that folkboat was looking for me!
        congratualtions.
        Re-naming straits as necessary.

Comment

• RFNK
          Port Stephens, Australia
          • Feb 2007

Restoring a Folkboat is surely a labour of love. Taking the deck right off is a good move. You should also probably look at dropping the ballast too so that you can replace the keel bolts, probably with larger ones unless you want to repair the keel where the keel bolts will have damaged the timber if they've been rusting. While you're at it, remove the chainplates as their fasteners will probably be corroded. Also remove those cracked ribs and replace them rather than leave them in to rot. They're only small so it's easy enough to steam up new ones or even easier to laminate new ones with thin strips and epoxy. Removing the fastenings from the old ones will also give you a chance to see what the fastenings are really like, so you'll be able to see whether you need to replace a whole lot more. If I were you I'd be making structural repairs wherever you can to avoid rot rather than try to find a paint that'll do that for you. If you make sure that the boat is dry inside, all joints are tight and you haven't left any timber with rot in it anywhere, then you'll only need to paint the inside with good quality timber primer, quality undercoat etc. If you start saturating it with exotic chemicals you're likely to end up with a hull that's more difficult to repair and maintain later on and probably poison youself in the process. Red lead's horrible stuff - that's why you can't get it anymore, so take the advice above and use protection when you're sanding it or scraping it (especially if you're applying heat). By the way, a cheap electric heat gun and a stiff, thin, sharp paint scraper were the tools i found most valuable when I restored our Folkboat. These tools will remove paint, epoxy, oil and moisture - cheap and invaluable.

Having the deck off is a real luxury when you're restoring a Folkboat (unless you're really into yoga). If I were you, I'd try to complete as much of the hull and interior as possible, especially in the bow and stern, before you replace the deck. Once the deck is back on, it's really tiresome getting into those dark and barely accessible places!
          Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• BarnacleGrim
            Seafaring Member
            • Nov 2008

Congratulations from another Folkboater!

Is it a true Nordic (which is clinker built), or is it a derivative?
            1947 Nordic Folkboat "Nina"

Comment

• floatingkiwi
              country member
              • Nov 2008

What is a true Nordic and a derivative,and how do I find out. Or is it plain bloody obvious just lookin' at her with one blurry eye at night time?
              Did I hear right at some time the place of construction may be carved into the stem or somewhere like that.
              The breasthook is out and I canna find any inscriptions. I would love to find out and to know what her name used to be, but then.... the mystery.

Give me 6 hours to chop down a tree and I will spend 4 of them sharpening the axe. Abe Lincoln

Comment

• BarnacleGrim
                Seafaring Member
                • Nov 2008

According to the Nordic Folkboat class rules, it is always clinker (lapstrake) built, has a length of 7.68 m, 2.20 m beam and 24.00 m² of sail area. Try asking the San Francisco Bay Folkboat Assosiation if they perhaps have the boat on record, though without sails it may be difficult to identify it.

One boat commonly referred to as a folkboat in English-speaking countries is the International Folkboat, but to avoid confusion, this is always referred to as an IF-boat in Sweden. The IF-boat is carvel planked.
                1947 Nordic Folkboat "Nina"

Comment

• rufustr
                  • Feb 2006

Kerry, congratulations and have you any photos to post so we can see what you bought?

Comment

• Larks
                    Larks
                    • Jul 2007

Kerry, congratulations on becoming a "Folky".

Though WBF class rules stipulate that you can't come on here with news of a new boat without following up quick smart with some pics!!!

All the best with it anyway, have fun
                    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
                    “It’s risky”, said experience.
                    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
                    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• floatingkiwi
                      country member
                      • Nov 2008

Yeah. Photos and all kinds of stuff to come soon

Comment

• RFNK
                        Port Stephens, Australia
                        • Feb 2007

Well, that's all very well Larks but HOW do you post pictures to this forum? The allowed file size is so small I can't get anything to load without turning it into a pixellated mess! I'm sure it's easy but not for Philistines like me! What's the trick?

To the not yet Floating Kiwi - Is it clinker/lapstrake? Is the mast forward of the cabin or stepped on an extended cabin? Try looking for a carved `ID' number on the beam shelf, near or slightly forward of the mast. Of course the real test is this - sail it around for a bit and if every second sailor says `What a beautiful Folkboat - I used to have one of those!' then it's probably a Nordic Folkboat. The other test is this - if you can only get 6-7 knots out of it during the day but it hops up on the plane in the dark of night, then it's definitely a Nordic Folkboat! Hope it is! Rick
                        Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• floatingkiwi
                          country member
                          • Nov 2008

Bloody hell, I just wrote a big page of stuff and then went back a page to do something and lost the lot,

Comment

• floatingkiwi
                            country member
                            • Nov 2008

Why would she be faster at night RFNK, aaah Rick?

Comment

• floatingkiwi
                              country member
                              • Nov 2008

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Can you all remember the first time ya posted and the flood of response from people you don't know but feel like ya do?
                              Awesome.

Comment

Working...