Page 95 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4585949596 ... LastLast
Results 3,291 to 3,325 of 3440

Thread: Redwing update

Default Re: Redwing update

The job for today was to make a 2m x 2.5m "temporary" cockpit cover, a simple process you might think? First off I required two sections of material, no worries got them cut out and hems marked. I really wanted all the hems on one side so first off I did a hem folded to the other side, bugger. Oh well it's reasonably neat I'll put up with it. Sewing both sections of material together was the next job, one row of zig zag stitch done, bugger I've stitched it on upside down...that odd hem confused me. Rip the stitching and do it again but noticed there's more than one hem wrong. Well I did say it was temporary so I decided what the hell go with it. Stitched 25mm webbing around all four sides and stitched 25mm webbing loops at 45 degrees on each corner and one in the middle of each side.
    One little job still to do on it and that is to stitch a run of 25mm webbing along the fore and aft centreline to help take the stress off the webbing loops. A photo at the moment would just be a folded chunk of material so I'll save the graphics for when I fit it tomorrow arvo.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    If only I was still a Busselton boy.
    Busso, really? That place has great cruising all along Geographe bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Busso, really? That place has great cruising all along Geographe bay.
    Lived there till 72 and then moved to Perth, from there it was Sydney, Brisbane back to Busselton and then to Uki NSW. That's the abridged readers digest version.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

In 72 Perth was still a relatively nice place... ah wouldn't it be nice to visit places the way they were... need a time machine.

Why did you move around so much? I guess work?

In 72 Perth was still a relatively nice place... ah wouldn't it be nice to visit places the way they were... need a time machine.

Why did you move around so much? I guess work?
    Work, no. It was a combination of things, looking for where I wanted to be I guess.
    In 74 I hitchhiked from Perth to Brisbane to attend a caving convention then hitchhiked back again. After that West Oz just wasn't where I wanted to be. I really enjoyed long distance driving back then as well. I'd be in Brisbane and get a bit homesick or need a job and figure WA was the place to look...hop in the Morris Minor 1000 and drive off into the sunset. I loved the space between A and B.
    Last edited by WX; 05-17-2018 at 05:42 AM.

I've mentioned before that I was having a problem with the outboard in that I couldn't get it to idle without going PHUT and stopping. Asking questions and reading a bit indicated a mixture screw problem. Today I took the cover off and by incrementally screwing it in I managed to make it worse. So two full turns out and I have it idling albeit roughly, an extra quarter turn and I fixed it...most chuffed with myself.

A casual glance at the recessed catches on the new hatch got me wondering if they leak and after pouring some water into the recess I discovered they certainly do. So not meant to mounted flat. After some thought the best fix is to cover the external handle recesses and make it openable only from inside. I had visions of having to either replace it or make a special cover for it but two small patches sealed down over the top will work just fine.
    The cockpit cover works quite well but I didn't allow for the tent shape in my measurement. The plan was to mount it length ways but proved too narrow.
    20180519_125515.jpg

20180519_125601.jpg

So I ran it the other way and though still a bit small it gives good cover with almost standing headroom under the ridge. The modification to the sternrail will increase that.
    20180520_134916.jpg
    It looks a bit floppy but that can be fixed with suitable tie down points.
    20180520_134947.jpg
    Also I had been crawling in and out from under it without undoing the ties.

I had an ex-General Post Office Moggy van, 1972 vintage if i recall, had a few camping road trips in that down to the West country, but thats nothing like driving from WA to SA. Those things were so simple to work on and service, something of a shock to see how much they fetch in the UK now!

I bought mine for $240 back then, last one I saw for sale was $4,000 I think. I drove from WA to QLD via NSW first trip, then back to WA. I replaced the engine and gearbox. Then I did another return trip to Brisbane. Then I drove it into a tree and that ended that. I named it Wilfred’s White Lightning Express.
    Last edited by WX; 05-20-2018 at 04:28 PM.

I had half a dozen or so Morries. Not vans though. My best one I cut the roof off and had a decent soft top made. Put a Mazda 1300 engine and gearbox in it. Probably should have upgraded the suspension and brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I had half a dozen or so Morries. Not vans though. My best one I cut the roof off and had a decent soft top made. Put a Mazda 1300 engine and gearbox in it. Probably should have upgraded the suspension and brakes.
    The suspension and brakes were normally an easy modification, taking the disc set up from a Morris Marina. I have seen a Rover (Buick) V8 stuffed into one, but that required a lot of mods, and brakes far better than a Marina had to offer! Friend of mine is still re-building an original pick-up, which he has been chipping away at for the last 30 years......

I bought mine for $240 back then, last one I saw for sale was $4,000 I think. I drove from WA to QLD via NSW first trip, then back to WA. I replaced the engine and gearbox. Then I did another return trip to Brisbane. Then I drove it into a tree and that ended that. I named it Wilfred’s White Lightning Express.
    The tree stepped in front of the car without warning?

Okay back to boat stuff.
    After finally getting the stainless tube bent of the pushpit at 8am on Saturday, the day I was hoping to get it all welded up I headed up to Tweed Heads. The car was loaded up with enough gear and material to do more than was really possible in one day. But that didn't matter because nothing was probably going to happen because it was raining.
    A coffee with Bob and the rain looked like it might clear, if only to give me time to pull the pushpit off the boat and show Bob what I wanted done. Basically what I wanted done was an elongated U shaped backrest, reinforced to take the mainsheet lower blocks.
    How it looked on the boat sans minus the MLB and other bits.
    20180526_112230.jpg

We figured we'd start on it anyway.
    20180526_115520.jpg

In the middle of the back is a short length of stainless tube that held a longer length of tube that doubled as a flagpole and a tarp support. It was a bit of a pain as sometimes a length of the sheet would get behind it. We decided it would a good to sleeve and weld a short length of pipe into it to act as the central support to the rail which meant we could also learn the rail back slightly for more comfort. Bob welded it on overlength.
    20180526_124809.jpg

20180526_124830.jpg

Bob was quite meticulous and achieved a level of shaped curve to curve metal work I dream of.
    20180526_131649.jpg

Progress continued with occasional bouts of blasphemous outbursts heavily laced with a stream of morphing expletives when the welder blew a hole in the 1.5mm wall thickness.
    The grinding was carried out with great attention to workplace, health and safety.
    20180526_133744.jpg

We used 6mm diameter stainless rod for the bracing. Remember that top rail has to take the mainsheet.
    Just as we finished the rain showers came back.
    20180526_152343.jpg
    It's now sitting in the cockpit, well over it, waiting to be bolted down...maybe next Sunday.

That is a very elaborate piece of sculpture. What sort of welding equipment was used? MIG?

That is a very elaborate piece of sculpture. What sort of welding equipment was used? MIG?
    I'm not totally up with welding but it was stick welding. He did have the gear for MIG but not the gas.

This is it's 3rd modification.

Will it be the last or is this a sort of ever evolving thing? Actually now I think of it, my question is silly, everything to do with boats is ever evolving.

Wheres the bbq and the rod holders

That fella is very good ! Stick welding 1.5mm stainless would be pig of a job!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Wheres the bbq and the rod holders
    See that cut out at the front starboardside, that's where the BBQ clamps on.
    20180526_112230.jpg

See that cut out at the front starboardside, that's where the BBQ clamps on.
    20180526_112230.jpg
    Note the ends of the coamings? They need trimming back a bit, so question? Do I cut them vertical, at an angle sloping forward at the top or go for a rounded end?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Colourful when he blew the odd hole though.

Note the ends of the coamings? They need trimming back a bit, so question? Do I cut them vertical, at an angle sloping forward at the top or go for a rounded end?

Looks like a convenient bucket in the cockpit to draw around. I would come up vertically an inch or so off the deck, then put the bucket radius on it. Does it have a slight taper down aft already? That usually takes away some "boxiness" that seems to upset a few people.....

What Ian said, a gentle curve.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Looks like a convenient bucket in the cockpit to draw around. I would come up vertically an inch or so off the deck, then put the bucket radius on it. Does it have a slight taper down aft already? That usually takes away some "boxiness" that seems to upset a few people.....
    I shall give it ago tomorrow.

Do those coamings have any lateral support?

Only supported at the forward end where they form the new cabin sides and at the base Phil. I do plan some sort of capping but it hasn’t happened yet...mainly because I haven’t decided how I want to do it.

You can tell his done a lot of welding by his level of safety gear knows exactly where too put his feet to avoid hot sparks in the toe webbing!

Draw an outline on the combing where you reckon, then stand back for a good look. Outline with masking tape if you need it to stand out more. If you're not sure, cut a conservative shape and take a look. It is easy to cut away more if you don't like the first cut, but not so good if you cut a lot first and then don't like it.

Draw an outline on the combing where you reckon, then stand back for a good look. Outline with masking tape if you need it to stand out more. If you're not sure, cut a conservative shape and take a look. It is easy to cut away more if you don't like the first cut, but not so good if you cut a lot first and then don't like it.
    I've had a think about it and I have an idea of how I want it to look but I will mark it out and stand back first.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I had an ex-General Post Office Moggy van,
    But it's nobody's moggy now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcXzdq9kMw0

I had a list of jobs today and less hours than I had hoped for but then I didn't leap out of bed as early as I had planned...well I did but I went back again with a cup of tea.
    First job was the top companion way board. My las attempt at getting it to fit neatly resulted in too much cut off. I glued that back on and today I took my time using the power planer, this took a while but I'm happy with the result.
    20180530_103709.jpg
    The next job was shaping the aft end of the coamings using a bevel square and the top of the bucket.
    I drew a line then I got off the boat and looked at it from a distance, by the third set of lines I figured I had it.
    20180530_105229.jpg
    I was interrupted at this point by hearing my name called out and after looking around and then hearing some rude comment about being blind. I finally focused on Mr Sibley sitting in his car, a brief chat ensued and away he went.
    Cutting it out the shape was fun as I was on the same side as the reciprocating blade. Trying to cut on the line without disemboweling myself took a bit of concentration, the final bit being done with a handsaw.
    20180530_110859.jpg
    Notice the location of the pushpit, I spent a lot of time climbing around that when it would have been smarter to just put it on the wharf.
    Okay two jobs down time for the trifecta.
    My plan as I had discussed earlier was to drill over sized holes into the beamshelf and epoxy bolts upsidedown into the holes but it wasn't to be. When we straightened the leg we altered the footprint and the only place it would fit was right where I had glued and bolted the stern cleats on the side deck. With the aid of two steel posts on the wharf I bent each side in 30mm. The pushpit has two feet each side and each foot has 4 bolts, so 8 bolts per side. Only 2 of which sit over the beamshelf so it looks like backing plates/blocks are going to be the order of the day...a job for next Wednesday. Anyway at least i got 4 bolts glued in.
    20180530_132258.jpg

So now everything is where it should be but it's just not bolted down yet.
    20180530_132907.jpg

20180530_132916.jpg

Have you ever tried the "blue" rods? The flux coating has a really high iron powder content, so they are dead easy to strike, and even with modest talent and a budget welder they produce beautiful looking welds, albeit not much penetration.
    They are basically intended for thin wall furniture type work, and I'm wondering if there is a stainless equivalent. If there isn't, then wow! Tom, could you ask what rods he was using please, as I'd be keen to give them a try.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

The coaming ends look good Gary, well done.
    Grateful Dead