Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryK
    • Jul 2007

Re: Redwing update

Gary, are you using bamboo for battens? I'm wondering if 2 years enough time to grow them.

Comment

• WX
      Uki NSW Australia
      • Feb 2002

Two year won't be enough. A bamboo stem will reach full height in a season but won't be ready to use for two to three years. I will probably use bamboo for my battens as I have it growing here, I should get them cut so they have enough time to season. I will use a timber yard and boom.
      2MT, I will be cutting the camber in as I make my sail. Instead of cutting the top and bottom of the panel straight you cut them in a curve to set measurements. This is all based on the work done by Arne Kverneland, Norway. My rig was actually designed by another Norwegian.
      Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• 2MeterTroll
        impossible, is not
        • Mar 2009

Hmm Kverneland I will look him up.

I put the camber in my own and it worked out well with the darts.
        always more for me to learn. I would not have thought of curving the top and bottom cut. Have you decided on a fabric for the sail itself?

Erica and I where talking today about some different options. I think i see a trip to the discount fabric store in our future.
        Ernie
        www.ernieanderica.info

Comment

• WX
          Uki NSW Australia
          • Feb 2002

Odyssey III, I can get it in burgundy (pretend tanbark) for around $19.50 a linear metre here in Oz.
          Here's a link to the Junkrig forum, you will find Arne's files...underFiles.
          Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

• 2MeterTroll
            impossible, is not
            • Mar 2009

We where thinking a jewel tone color fast satin brocade. its a junk rig so we thought it would be fun to play a little. Our last one was made from a canvas paint tarp. I was also thinking of treating another paint tarp sail with Linseed oil and see how that works.

Its fun to tinker a bit
            Ernie
            www.ernieanderica.info

Comment

• WX
              Uki NSW Australia
              • Feb 2002

Its fun to tinker a bit
              Pete Hill rigged a Freedom junkrig Ketch with polytarp sails. Reddish made his sail design from a polytarp for his boat and sailed it around Britain. No worries. I will be making mine sometime this year and I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

• GaryK
                • Jul 2007

ok, I may have to try source some grown bamboo.
                Last year in Bali, we came across some large bamboos hanging on a wall on the beach, they were outrigger sticks for their trad outrigged canoe boats.
                They were approx 10 metres long and 20 to 25cm diameter, about the size of the mast I need. I calculated a staved or birdsmouth mast made from oregon would weigh 70 to 80kg. But I could pick this huge bamboo with one hand, no more than 7 or 8kg. Astounding!
                Too bad its too big to fit on a plane..

Comment

• WX
                  Uki NSW Australia
                  • Feb 2002

Gary, Have emailed you.

Comment

• WX
                    Uki NSW Australia
                    • Feb 2002

Working on the cockpit engine access hatch. This hatch actually gives me access to the stuffing box etc...or will when it's all installed.
                    This photo was taken a while back.

Framing the coaming.

This shows the...not quite sure what you call them, other than coamings or weather stops. Anyway the bits that actually stop the water from getting in

I have since shaped sanded it all back and made the hatch cover but the camera went flat on me...bloody modern technology. Sometimes I think I should dust off the old SLR, though these days I'd probably have trouble finding somewhere to get the film processed.
                    I haven't settled on a method of dogging the hatch down yet..it will be low tech anyway.

Comment

• GaryK
                      • Jul 2007

Trying to make sense of your latest pics. Are you having an engine access hatch protruding from the cockpit sole? Wouldn't you be tripping over it?

Comment

• rbgarr
                        43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
                        • Apr 1999

A different Red Wing

For the most part experience is making the same mistakes over and over again, only with greater confidence.

Comment

• WX
                          Uki NSW Australia
                          • Feb 2002

Gary, yes it is raised and yes it does make the cockpit sole a bit complex. I really don't want to rip out the whole cockpit and do it again...though it may well happen sometime down the track. I realised that for anyone shorter than me they were going to have trouble bracing themselves while steering and the quickest way around it was to raise the height of the hatch.
                          I've been working on this boat for too many years now to go back and do stuff again, I just want to get it in the water. Once I've sailed a bit and seen what works and what doesn't I probably won't mind doing a few changes and mostly likely will as I'm not happy with the size of the cockpit. It's too deep. The small rectangular opening will hold the fuel tank.

Comment

• GaryK
                            • Jul 2007

Fair 'nough. Just remember to have it dogged down tight, in case a wave floods your cockpit, you dont want it flowing into your bilge.

Comment

• WX
                              Uki NSW Australia
                              • Feb 2002

I'm still thinking about how I'm going to do that.

Comment

• paladin
                                Senior Senior Member
                                • Dec 2000

A set of hinges on one face of the hatch that will allow the cover to come off when rotated beyong 90 degrees, with a soft refrigerator door seal all around, and cam lock fasteners on the opposite side....will allow a screwdriver to twist a few turns to release, then lift for inspection, or continue to lift and then remove the lid as required.
                                Wakan Tanka Kici Un
                                ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
                                Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
                                Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
                                "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Comment

Working...