Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 4888979899 ... LastLast
Results 3,396 to 3,430 of 3504

Thread: Redwing update

Default Re: Redwing update

I also got the second coat of epoxy on the underside of the new foredeck.
    20180811_143151.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    I've been using Jotun primer too. Good stuff! I guess if you're using bananafast you're looking for a single pack top coat. Singles are never as glossy or durable as two pack, but... I had good results with brightsides, apparently no longer available but toplac might be worth a try. The most recent thing I've played with is a two pack acrylic polyurathane paint from Hi Chem (auto paint). Gloss is ok, but probably not what you're looking for at the mo.
    Reading back though posts you find stuff you forgot. Toplac might be worth a go but I'd have to go Donegal Green instead of the red in my scheme though.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Actually for interior painting I've been using international's marine coat, that's their bottom shelf paint, an old fashioned bog standard alkyd, house paint really. Anyway, so far I have discovered that though it mostly needs three coats to look any good, the overall effect is quite pleasing. The colour has a kind of pleasant depth (or I could just be having too many paint fumes). Anyway, the good thing with this paint is you can meddle with mixing in a few drops of some other colour, which might already be on your shelf, producing all kinds of possibilities in pastels (maybe test a small bit first in case the paints react badly).

I’ve been using a white acrylic paint with a mould inhibitor that looks okay and the inhibitor sort of works. I can’t remember the brand of paint but I’ll look next trip to the boat.

Back to quick and dirty dinghy repairs. New topside stitch and glued in place.
    20180812_151618.jpg
    And the foredeck panel being clamped down to the jig.
    20180812_151828.jpg

I reckon fixing your old dinghy is better than building new. You already know the dinghy. The dinghy acquires more character with every ding and patch up. If the dinghy is given enough character there will barely be a need to lock her up when you row ashore for provisions.

My apple pie, given to me by a friend, rows well, is solid, has a few dings, and looks like crap... all the right features for the perfect tender.

Bit the bullet and despite my back feeling sore I decided it was time to glass the new foredeck.
    20180813_150306.jpg
    It took a few mixes but I got it done. I did run a brush over it afterwards to take out those epoxy ridges etc.
    20180813_160103.jpg

You, sir, are a machine. Please rest your back. I have spinal stenosis that can cause me to lose the use of my legs at times. Take care of yourself.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    You, sir, are a machine. Please rest your back. I have spinal stenosis that can cause me to lose the use of my legs at times. Take care of yourself.

I don’t like the sound of that, a bit of sciatica is as bad as it gets for me. I had an operation on my nose a while back and before it I would wake up tired and thick headed. Now along with a change in diet I just wake up tired but with energy to do stuff. Should have had the op years ago.

I've mentioned this before about building a new rudder and there was a bit of discussion over the pros and cons of fitting a deeper rudder with a percentage balanced forward of the pintles.
    This how it looks now.
    20180419_203846.jpg

And this is how the new rudder will look.
    David's design.jpg
    I was going to build it similar in materials to old one, a double layer of 150mm x 19mm boards. However I'm going to build it from a double layer of 19mm plywood and fibreglassed. I'm looking at inserting a hardwood strip on the leading edge to protect the ply if I bump something. The other idea, as I am concerned the ply may deform is to run thin hardwood splines horizontally fore and aft through the center join.

I'm building a self steering rig for a model yacht, Not the commission, a gift for a challenged child locally. The bay is shallow enough far out enough for it to be sailed safely there.
    It's been good to have a project to get my hand in first. Dinghy restoration is awaiting suitable temperatures for epoxy work. Meantime I replaced a deal of the rather dodgy Greviia Robusta framework with Hoop Pine and I will going over the old resorcinol(?) joints with some reinforcing, they are all rather brittle.

I know Peter and a few others were discussing the benefits of using treated plywood. As it is going to be glassed I can get H3 ACQ 19mm Hoop F14 for $36.90 + GST. So $40.59 per sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I'm building a self steering rig for a model yacht, Not the commission, a gift for a challenged child locally. The bay is shallow enough far out enough for it to be sailed safely there.
    It's been good to have a project to get my hand in first. Dinghy restoration is awaiting suitable temperatures for epoxy work. Meantime I replaced a deal of the rather dodgy Greviia Robusta framework with Hoop Pine and I will going over the old resorcinol(?) joints with some reinforcing, they are all rather brittle.
    Weather permitting I'm replacing a 1250mm x 400mm section of cabintop on Thursday...though maybe not, 70% chance of 4mm to 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I know Peter and a few others were discussing the benefits of using treated plywood. As it is going to be glassed I can get H3 ACQ 19mm Hoop F14 for $36.90 + GST. So $40.59 per sheet.
    I will watch with interest. The stuff you have been using so far seems to be about as robust as weet bix, so it's got to be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I will watch with interest. The stuff you have been using so far seems to be about as robust as weet bix, so it's got to be an improvement.
    That stuff was Australian marine grade hoop pine and was top quality but no amount of quality is going to handle 15 years of neglect under a tarp.
    A question about peelply, I’m thinking of using it on the rudder. I take it it has an outer layer that peels off leaving a smooth finish?

A very smooth surface, it's seems to be a thin nylon fabric, a bit like a shower curtain. Boat Craft stocks it.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

That stuff was Australian marine grade hoop pine and was top quality but no amount of quality is going to handle 15 years of neglect under a tarp.
    A question about peelply, I’m thinking of using it on the rudder. I take it it has an outer layer that peels off leaving a smooth finish?
    That's what worries me about marine ply. Might as well use cardboard.

Now there's a good idea !
    Grateful Dead

I learnt something tonight. I've been a bit surprised at plywood prices...I mean 19mm ply for $45 a sheet! It's per square metre...slaps forehead. So in fact it's $106.30 plus GST. So I'm not buying it this week. Wondering if a ply rudder is a good idea anyway.

Some demo hardwood and long bolts might do as well and far cheaper.
    Grateful Dead

It was suggested I just add onto the present rudder as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Now there's a good idea !
    I've heard some wooden boats are built with balsa sheathed in glass.

I've heard some wooden boats are built with balsa sheathed in glass.

Despite having raised some doubts in the past regading modern marine plywood ,I am amazed at the condition of the Hoop ply of my badly neglected Tammie that I’m restoring.
    Despite the boat having lived outside for a number of years, with most of the plywood bare in her high traffic interior sole areas I found no rot to my amazement. After letting her dry out undercover for several weeks I just treated the affected areas with epoxy, and it will be interesting to see wether she will end up with dry rot in years to come.

Gary did you scarf the ply on Redwing or was your deterioration due to moisture penetrating the plywood end grain?

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Despite having raised some doubts in the past regading modern marine plywood ,I am amazed at the condition of the Hoop ply of my badly neglected Tammie that I’m restoring.
    Despite the boat having lived outside for a number of years, with most of the plywood bare in her high traffic interior sole areas I found no rot to my amazement. After letting her dry out undercover for several weeks I just treated the affected areas with epoxy, and it will be interesting to see wether she will end up with dry rot in years to come.

Gary did you scarf the ply on Redwing or was your deterioration due to moisture penetrating the plywood end grain?
    End grain penetration Tom. All sheets were buttstrapped.

I learnt something tonight. I've been a bit surprised at plywood prices...I mean 19mm ply for $45 a sheet! It's per square metre...slaps forehead. So in fact it's $106.30 plus GST. So I'm not buying it this week. Wondering if a ply rudder is a good idea anyway.
    Why not use some hardwood for it Gary? I don’t know what my H28 rudder is from but it’s damn heavy, possibly blue gum like the deadwood. Also, just looking at your rudder drawing and am not sure if i’m reading it properly, but what is the benefit of the area that you’ve called “Balance area”? I can’t recall seeing anything like that with a section of rudder sitting forward of the pintals on another rudder design
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I've got a surplus of copper rod over here Gary if you decide to bolt up a solid rudder. Suitable sizes too.
    Grateful Dead

What I am keen to do is build a modified rudder that is no heavier than the present and that is at least deeper than the present one. I could just add onto the present one though I admit to being a bit puzzled on how to do that. I would like it to be lighter hence the idea of using ply.
    Greg balanced rudders are fairly common.

This one is made of half inch ply layers and heavily glassed.

https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/sailboat-rudder.html

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

2" thick, that'd give you the space to use staves, edge glued and glassed over.
    Are you chasing a foil shape?

And to make it unhelpfully complicated; staves edge glued, foil shaped as required. epoxy sealed, skin of thin marine ply epoxied on, and then the whole thing glassed.
    You just need a trio of fiddlers a small brass section and a c# timpany and you're on your way........
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Since you already have your existing rudder, add to that. If you use two sheets of ply as proposed it may be possible to scarf one sheet to one side of the lower part of existing rudder, and scarf the other sheet to the other side. So looked at from directly ahead you would see a big wedge formed by the lower part of your rudder slotting into a big V formed in the top part of the extension. Now this in essence is two scarf joints lined up side by side which is not as strong as two joints offset from each other, however in your case the ply is only the core, and a great deal of strength will be added with a few layers of glass over the outside... taken to extremes that core could be balsa or wheat bix as Phil suggested.

If weather helm is a problem maybe you need a jib

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But that wouldn't be a very junkish solution... the boat would start looking too western, scientific, white sailed, and... all her intuitive zen-ness would be gone. The big rudder idea is much in keeping with traditional Chinese junk design, and given they had a really long time to work out what was best, surely the big rudder is worth a try. Of course they also had holes in their rudders and that is almost too weird even for me.

A question about dynel. Does it go clear when epoxy filled like fibreglass? I'm thinking of using it on the mast instead of reglassing, my reasoning being it might be more abrasion resistant than glass.
    I'm starting to work on the shopping list for the haul out.

If weather helm is a problem maybe you need a jib

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not on a free standing mast, that would be asking for trouble.

No it doesn't go clear.....