Hi gary ...so that's the 1/2' bolt !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Comment

• WX
      Uki NSW Australia
      • Feb 2002

Re: Redwing update

That's it. It shouldn't lift or twist with that through it. The aft and forward bolt holes have stainless steel sleeves in them to reduce any wear. The stainless tube came from an old towel rack I found in the old shed.
      Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• GaryK
        • Jul 2007

Gary, what junk sail design have you settled on? Reddish? Hasler preferred?

Comment

• WX
          Uki NSW Australia
          • Feb 2002

Gary I will be using the Hasler-MacLeod design with 8% camber in each panel.4 parallel panels and 3 top panels. The lower top panel will be sheeted.
          There is a problem with the Reddish with the battens getting behind the mast when reefing. I had originally decided to go with the Fenix rig as I like the shape but I was talked out of it. I may have mentioned it before but if you go to the files section of the JR forum and look at Arne's files you will find a goldmine of info on building cambered sails. Camber will improve your windward performance.
          How's your Badger going?

Comment

• GaryK
            • Jul 2007

yes, have been through all of Arne's stuff.
            Strangely, I've only ever read about problems with the Hasler-Macleod design. No windward performance when more than a few panels are reefed, it all weather vanes behind the mast. There's a chap I'm in contact with cruising the Atlantic now who also has that complaint. I'm sticking with Reddish and closely following the junks shown in Hong Kong photos on that website you posted.

My Badger hull is mostly planked. Its looking pretty spiffy at the moment.

Comment

• WX
              Uki NSW Australia
              • Feb 2002

Good luck with it, who knows we might get to meet up sometime and compare rigs. When you going to post some new photos?

Comment

• WX
                Uki NSW Australia
                • Feb 2002

I cut a 100mm hole through the foredeck the other day and dropped a length of PVC pipe down into the step...sort of a pretend mast It will help me get the mast partner flange located correctly.

Comment

• GaryK
                  • Jul 2007

ok, I wasn't having a go about your choice of design, was wanting to know about the pros & cons. I'll be mindful of how the battens stack as they are reefed.
                  Re my hull: I'll have to get pics of it, its under cover right now.

Comment

• WX
                    Uki NSW Australia
                    • Feb 2002

I didn't think you were. I had planned to use the Fenix rig but was talked out of it because of the batten problem. It seems there are 3 variants on the Hasler/MacLeod rig. 1 is the standard design as in the book, panels cut flat. 2 is the with the panels cut flat but fitted with hinged battens and 3, the one I'm going with is straight battens but the panels have 8% camber cut into them.
                    There is a design in develpment where a slot is cut vertically in each panel at the mast. All panels have camber cut into them. This will explain it better than I can.
                    Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
                    Last edited by WX; 03-30-2009, 05:55 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

• GaryK
                      • Jul 2007

Split rig, saw that one. Very tempting to just go for it. But my significant other doesnt like it, not traditional looking enough...

Comment

• WX
                        Uki NSW Australia
                        • Feb 2002

not traditional looking enough...
                        I read one of Colvin's books back in the 80s, unfortunately I was still hooked on the Western sloop rig. I decided against the junk rig at the time for much the same reason. I SHOULD have read Annie Hill's book Voyaging on a small Income instead...but I didn't know about it.

Comment

• GaryK
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by WX
                          I read one of Colvin's books back in the 80s, unfortunately I was still hooked on the Western sloop rig. I decided against the junk rig at the time for much the same reason. I SHOULD have read Annie Hill's book Voyaging on a small Income instead...but I didn't know about it.
                          Well you couldn't, it wasn't published till 2001.
                          FWIW I also have Van Loan's "Design and Build your own Junk Rig", (which predates PJR), which I might use. My mind changes every month...

Comment

• WX
                            Uki NSW Australia
                            • Feb 2002

it wasn't published till 2001.
                            Actually the copy I have here was published in 1993 but what you say still stands..it wasn't around in the 80s. Unfortunately in the 90s my sailing dream took a big nosedive due to a relationship I was in, but that's another story. Which ever style you adopt I would strongly recommend that you either build in camber in your panels or use hinged battens. Both have been properly tested at sea and will give you better performance than flat cut panels.

Comment

• 2MeterTroll
                              impossible, is not
                              • Mar 2009

the camber is easy to put in when you make the sail just take a dart at each batten.
                              the hinged battens are a bit more difficult. me I plan on putting in some camber and the gurney flap. the camber just for the small performance boost and the gurney flap cause it reduces the chance of hang ups and adds performance. both are easy to do on home built sails so there seems to be no down side.
                              Ernie
                              www.ernieanderica.info

Comment

• GaryK
                                • Jul 2007

Damn, my edition of "Voyaging.." makes no reference to earlier print..

The 24' sloop we sail now always has a foot or more camber in the sails regardless of how tight its sheeted, reefed or not, pretty silly to make a junk sail without it. Hinged battens probably makes the best shape, just dont think i can trust hinges of my own making..
                                Anyway, final decision on sail plan is a long way off, yet to finish the hull (laminated another 2 sheets today).
                                Last edited by GaryK; 04-01-2009, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...