Results 3,536 to 3,570 of 3571

Thread: Redwing update

Default Re: Redwing update

Some photos of yesterday.
    The splash.
    20181128_142705.jpg

20181128_143029.jpg

20181128_143517.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Time for the mast...which proved harder than pulling it out. I may get a couple of hours today to try and get it seated properly.
    20181128_135257.jpg

20181128_135406.jpg

20181128_135445.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I never really noticed how large that mast is. Now I understand why the keel is so large and heavy. Congrats getting her back in the water. For me, it's always a scary thing to watch boats flying through the air and masts danging from a string.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    I never really noticed how large that mast is. Now I understand why the keel is so large and heavy. Congrats getting her back in the water. For me, it's always a scary thing to watch boats flying through the air and masts danging from a string.
    Actually the keel is as per plans. The mast looks big and is but it only weighs around 87 kgs. The wall thickness is 40mm and diameter at the partners is 212mm.

A couple of photos I took yesterday.
    0DFD8E27-178A-4AF8-B361-7DFDA85AF8E5.jpg

9A71466C-3AE8-4E5B-A0CA-AAF6332F3268.jpg
    I had a go at getting the mast to seat properly but it wouldn’t drop the last 12mm but I worked out why. All but two of the eyebolts that fasten the collar down are through bolted but two are embeded studs. The hole in the collar for one of the studs is out by a small amount but it pulls the mast back hard against the partners. The remedy is remove the stud which will allow the mast the few mm of movement it needs...fingers crossed but that will have to be next week.

Fingers crossed but well out of the way Gary! Will the mast drop that last 12mm under the weight of itself or do you need to help it?

Very fast work, well done. Must be time for a rest now

Mal
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Good to hear it all went well,must be a good feeling to be back in the berth.

How is the keel leak doing?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Actually the keel is as per plans. The mast looks big and is but it only weighs around 87 kgs. The wall thickness is 40mm and diameter at the partners is 212mm.
    WoW! That light. I should have came down and lend a hand with the mast. We could heft that on our shoulders and carry her away.

Nice pics of her back together and in the water. Good luck get the mast back in her seat.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Fingers crossed but well out of the way Gary! Will the mast drop that last 12mm under the weight of itself or do you need to help it?

Very fast work, well done. Must be time for a rest now

Mal
    It will need a bit of help, we have xmas party happening on the wharf Sunday night so I might get up there a bit early and have a go at it. Just need to cut an epoxy bedded stud at the back of the collar and it should drop down...he said.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    WoW! That light. I should have came down and lend a hand with the mast. We could heft that on our shoulders and carry her away.

Nice pics of her back together and in the water. Good luck get the mast back in her seat.
    Mast_lifting.jpg

That picture gives me mast envy.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    That picture gives me mast envy.
    It did it for me.

))) We could do it.

Good stuff Gaz!

Nice to see you on Saturday night at the Foodifest. How'd it all wash up? Did Kez make a profit?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Good stuff Gaz!

Nice to see you on Saturday night at the Foodifest. How'd it all wash up? Did Kez make a profit?
    She’s made something we’re just not sure what yet. I have a large blister for my effort.
    BTW BrianW is going to be passing through this area either December or early January, I had suggested we could do an EBS...wotcha think?

I remember a Duncan!

Rick

She’s made something we’re just not sure what yet. I have a large blister for my effort.
    BTW BrianW is going to be passing through this area either December or early January, I had suggested we could do an EBS...wotcha think?
    A good excuse ! But someone will be asked to pick me up, I'm not allowed to drive .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    A good excuse ! But someone will be asked to pick me up, I'm not allowed to drive .
    I’ll pm Duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I remember a Duncan!

Rick
    Yeah!

Who was he again?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I’ll pm Duncan.
    I might not be here. My last work meeting is on the 19th of December and I'm minding my sister's house down in Melbourne for the first week or so for January.

See how we go. It'd be very good though! Is Brian down here for the fire season?

Brian?
    Last edited by Duncan Gibbs; 12-05-2018 at 02:41 AM.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Sounds great Tumbelgum or Chinderah Pub.?

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Sounds great Tumbelgum or Chinderah Pub.?
    No idea yet.

Bought a tin of this to do the new toe rails and had planned to do it over the weekend but it seems I should wait a bit and let the tanin leach out.

Preparation

New or unseasoned hardwood such as Merbau (Kwila), Spotted Gum, Tallowwood, Jarrah and Ironbark contain natural tannins. These tannins need to be extracted prior to coating.

This will happen naturally over a period of 3-6 months depending on exposure, or the process can be accelerated using Sikkens Cetol Tannin & Oil Remover followed by Sikkens Cetol Deck & Wood Cleaner.

I'd love to be able to do something like this on Redwing.

Careful Gary, that way madness lies.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Careful Gary, that way madness lies.
    Indeed but I have dreamed of an electric drive. The outboard is seriously annoying after about 30 minutes.

Bought a tin of this to do the new toe rails and had planned to do it over the weekend but it seems I should wait a bit and let the tanin leach out.
    That'll give you a really dull finish, like stain, on its own. You could get some Cetol Filter 7 Plus to go over it and then you'll have a finish with a bit of body to it. If you're going to use just one product, use Cetol F7 Plus or Cetol Marine. As you've already bought this, I suggest getting some F7+ as the finish coat. HLSe won't protect the wood much. I use it on the house but only under F7+.

Rick

Thanks Rick, advice taken.

Those toe rails will be fully sikkens mate...

Groan!

I’m trying to decide what coating system to use on my teak house sides, and possibly the toerails. It’s a bloody hard choice!

I have looked at Coelan, Awlwood, Sikkens, Deksolje, and standard varnishes. Still don’t know what to choose, but I’m leaning toward old fashioned varnish. What pointed your prow to Sikkens, Gary? Was it the UV factor?

Regards,
    John.

White paint is awesome.

But if you must have bright, sikkens seems best. Good UV protection, long life and easy touch up.

How does it compare to Deks Ole Phil?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That'll give you a really dull finish, like stain, on its own. You could get some Cetol Filter 7 Plus to go over it and then you'll have a finish with a bit of body to it. If you're going to use just one product, use Cetol F7 Plus or Cetol Marine. As you've already bought this, I suggest getting some F7+ as the finish coat. HLSe won't protect the wood much. I use it on the house but only under F7+.

Rick
    7+ purchased.
    And the material to fit batten pockets/ sleeves to the sail is on its way from NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Groan!

I’m trying to decide what coating system to use on my teak house sides, and possibly the toerails. It’s a bloody hard choice!

I have looked at Coelan, Awlwood, Sikkens, Deksolje, and standard varnishes. Still don’t know what to choose, but I’m leaning toward old fashioned varnish. What pointed your prow to Sikkens, Gary? Was it the UV factor?

Regards,
    John.
    It’s seriously easy to apply. I’ve used it on a few things now and just dip a bit of folded rag in the tin instead of using a brush...no clean up needed. Thought I will probably use a combo of brush and squib of rag to do the bottom edge.