Page 1 of 84 121151 ... LastLast

Thread: Redwing update

Default Redwing update

Well, it's taken a little while but I think it's worth it
    The v-berth and the mast position now obvious.
    Hmm, a bucket all I need now is a seat.
    Okay, that should do it.

That's were the lid goes while one is busy. The box will contain sawdust, probably camphor laurel...cause it smells nice

The Dunny door, the round bit is a mirror.
    Last edited by WX; 09-14-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Default Re: Redwing update

Excellent - so the next EBS is on Redwing?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

You never know. I am hoping for a launch date around Nov 09.
    Would be fun eh?
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Great stuff Gary, nicely done. Looking forward to a sail in Nov'.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Luvly dunny seat.. What timber is that Gary?
    I'll have get one of those plumb lines, homemade gerry rig doesn't do.

GaryK it's camphor laurel...which is weed here. Beautiful timber though.

John Welsford

BTW I modeled the seat on one from a porta potti.
    I'm now working on a hatch in the cockpit floor to give me access to the shaft seal and propshaft flange.

John Welsford

Mighty nice looking.

Great stuff Gary!! Keep the pictures coming... Or I'll come around and take some anyway!!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    BTW I modeled the seat on one from a porta potti.
    I'm now working on a hatch in the cockpit floor to give me access to the shaft seal and propshaft flange.
    You probably discussed this elsewhere, but what diesel did you end up with? Any tips for finding a reasonably priced one?

camphor laurel.
    That should keep things smelling nicely
    Jim

Gary I have a Yanmar YSE12 hp to put it. It was given to me when a friend re-engined his boat. I can't give you any advice on finding an engine other than keeping you eyes and ears open. If I'm looking for something I will mention it to people, that sometimes brings result. What size engine are you after?

John Welsford

A general view looking forward.

BUGGER! A slight mismeasurement...oh well, easily fixed.

The new cockpit engine access hatch. This is to give me access to the shaft seal and propshaft flange. It all looks a bit fiddly and with hindsght it could have been better thought out but...that's life.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Gary I have a Yanmar YSE12 hp to put it. It was given to me when a friend re-engined his boat. I can't give you any advice on finding an engine other than keeping you eyes and ears open. If I'm looking for something I will mention it to people, that sometimes brings result. What size engine are you after?
    Anything small, 10 to 20hp range.

I like the finish on your Hartley. Y'know, Hartley was a design i considered. I know you like Benford dory's a lot, but I don't see Hartley to a Benford as a step up. Hartleys would have more initial stability for one.

Gary, I did a post a while back trying to get an idea of what to ask for a Volvo Penta 2002B 18hp, 'don't know if the thread is of any use to you but may be interesting in terms of what price to expect.

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77294

I haven't sold the engine as I'm still undecided as to whether to or not (I'd like to eventually put in a brand new Yanmar when I'm doing the rebuild) but it's the wrong side of the country for you anyway.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Gary, I did a post a while back trying to get an idea of what to ask for a Volvo Penta 2002B 18hp, 'don't know if the thread is of any use to you but may be interesting in terms of what price to expect.

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77294

I haven't sold the engine as I'm still undecided as to whether to or not (I'd like to eventually put in a brand new Yanmar when I'm doing the rebuild) but it's the wrong side of the country for you anyway.
    Sometimes boats sell for the price of their engine. There was a 29' Hartley sold recently, the seller had installed a new diesel at a cost of $12k, then advertised the boat for $18k. It sold a year later for $13k I believe. Would have been easier to flog it for $1k to start with...

Anyway, I don't really want to spend more that 2k.
    Last edited by GaryK; 11-14-2008 at 06:01 PM.

thought I had something for you Gary but ti was way too expensive.

John Welsford

Well it has been a little over three years since I dragged the tarps off the boat and started work on her again. The last few weeks I have been putting in the hours on the galley. I was going to be putting the engine in but as the van has consumed the money I had set aside for that I have had to pick a project that would use what ever I had on site...so the galley was it. I'm not very good at looking at a spot in the boat and designing how I can best use the space. My technique is to start with basic framing and see where it takes me.
    I've been taking photos and I'll get some posted here tomorrow night.

John Welsford

Maybe it's a bit late to be mentioning this Gary, but had you thought of putting the forehatch hinges on the forward side of the hatch? Sanderling's were on the after side as yours are, but only because the hatch was immediately forward of the mast and actually using it would have been quite difficult had it opened sternwards. This doesn't look like any sort of a problem in your case, and an aft-opening hatch is generally considered safer.

(For much the same reason, car doors in this day and age are only hinged on the leading edge, whereas in the good old days pre-war the front doors were often hinged on the trailing edge -- which of course played merry hell if the door came open while the vehicle was moving.)

Other than that, it looks you're doing a great job with her. Where are you going to sail her, on Clarrie Hall Dam? (Or Smith's Creek? )

Mike

I hadn't seen this thread before Gary.

Can you post some more photos of your work.

It's looking great.

Mike, I did think of having the hatch hinge forward but as the mast is just forward of the hatch i figured having it hinge aft the best option.
    Coastal cruising, Northern NSW and SE QLD for starters....assuming I don't scare myself too badly to start with
    Rufus I should some more photos up today.

John Welsford

Okay starting with a basic shelf.

This shows the draw in place

John Welsford

Now for the benchtop, this is my second one as I broke the first attempt.

Here we have the galley pump and sink in place. In the corner is the locker lid with a cutting board attached. Any ideas on what I can iol it with without contaminating food?

John Welsford

Here are a couple of shots of the WC and door.

John Welsford

In the corner is the locker lid with a cutting board attached. Any ideas on what I can iol it with without contaminating food?
    Gary,
    I prefer pure tung oil- it is food safe, non browning/reddening and has a nice nutty aroma good to use for chopping boards, wooden bowls, spoons, etc- and is nicely waterproof once you get enough on.
    here is a write up of some other food safe stuff.
    http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26893
    For Tung oil, just make sure you are getting the 'pure' stuff, no driers added or anything else added. (it's obvious, but certainly don't get any of the decking products, sometimes even called pure tung oil, even though they aren't).
    Of course, its just a simple wipe on, wipe of, let dry and repeat.
    We have a brand made in melbourne sold at a few local Mitre 10's.

btw, nice work!
    I don't know too much about your boat, was this a rebuild or a build from scratch?
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
    Woody Allen

You can also use liquid paraffin. Fauldings make it and it's available in chemists and supermarkets (under "medicinal") everywhere. You can use it neat, but it will need quite a few coats and they'll need repeating reasonably frequently.

It's what the Yanks call "mineral oil" and its one of the several that rate a mention on Hans' link -- particularly in the last para where it's recommended combined with beeswax.

Mike

Hans, Redwing is a build from scratch but it's a project that languished under tarps for a bout 15 years. Life sort of got in the way of the dream. One day I'll scan some of the early photos of the building process.
    Thanks for the ideas for the cuttingboard.

John Welsford

No probs,
    my vague recollection was that it was a new build, but then I saw what looked to be peeling paint under the galley reminded me of my boat... I'll get around to scraping and painting down there one day
    (while yours languished under tarps, mine is currently languishing out on the water)
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
    Woody Allen

In the corner is the locker lid with a cutting board attached. Any ideas on what I can iol it with without contaminating food?
    What is the board made from? If it was camphor laurel, you would have a good cutting board and help in getting rid of an introduced pest.

The peeling paint is a problem. It's on epoxy and is extremely resistant to being removed cleanly. I really wish I hadn't painted it in the first place. The only thing I haven't tried is paint stripper. I have to wear earmuffs when scraping as the sound puts my teeth on edge:0
    I have peeling paint all up under the cockpit as well and that's a bugger of a place to work. There's 3 coats of Everdure epoxy under it so I may just ignore it for now.

John Welsford

JimJ, it is Camphor and I used it for that reason. I figured it wouldn't hurt to put some oil on it as well...besides it would bring out the grain

John Welsford

the peeling paint sounds like a real bugger.
    Did you prime it first? or just topcoat? Enamel?

I suppose it would be unwise to use any heat... but I would be tempted to try it... mildly...
    I've found carby cleaner can work as a usually unwelcome mild paint stripper... the way it has worked for me (and I imagine a range of solvents might do the same) is that on dodgy paint, rather than actually strip the stuff it just breaks the remianing bond to the surface underneath, softens the paint a bit, and allows it to peel off. I don't know what is actually in carby cleaner- it probably has some sort of stripping agent to disolve the fuel varnish...?

I don't know what real paint stripper does to epoxy- and a quick google hasn't made it any clearer... AFAICT it seems most strippers will or might strip or degrade epoxy, but some won't, or will do it a lot slower. I read a few peole talking about milder strippers to be used for some applications on cars, and some to be used on boats where it will strip the paint but not damage the fiberglass gellcoat (both expensive though).
    MIght be worth a bit of testing- or even contacting some of the suppliers and see if they have epoxy safe stripper.

Is there enough epoxy on the surface of the wood to just sand it and re-prime it?

I've found grey 'International Yacht Primer' (for above and below the waterline) to be brilliant. Sticks like nothing else (a good test being how long it takes to get off your skin).

Anyway, bugger of a job, especially on your hands and knees in the bilge- reminds me of what stopped our progress stripping and re-priming the inside of our boat. The thing that makes mine particularly nasty down there, aside from the difficulty accessing it, is all the oil and grease that is coating everything from 1. the carby that used to drip constantly, and 2. the rear output seal on the gearbox that was stuffed... I was amazed at how much topping of oil that gearbox seemed to require, untill I lifted the boards in the bilge and saw it all floating down there
    Woody Allen

This is WX using Peter's computer...I'm out here to raid some of his Red cedar for trim pieces.
    Hans, the main problem is the fiddly bits you can't get a block sander at. As for the bilge, once I've fastened down the aft section of cockpit floor it will be almost impossible to get at. I figure I'll key it all back as best i can and either epoxy over it or paint over it. I prefer epoxy as I can then see if anything nasty is happening underneath. It will be out of the sun so it should hang in well.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Mineral oil a.k.a. baby oil--unscented--is food safe and is what I use for wooden chopping blocks and cutting boards.

Nice boat.
    Steve Martinsen

Baby oil! What amazing stuff. I've used it to refill my compass and now I can use for my chopping board

John Welsford