Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama and semi-automatic gun ban

Default Obama and semi-automatic gun ban

I've read through the fact check site, and it seems to me he does want to ban semi-auto firearms. All semi-auto firearms
    So many questions, so little time.

Default Re: Obama and semi-automatic gun ban

Besides inexperiance, this is another reason I won't be voting for him. What's the differance ? Except semi autos leave evidance at a crime scene and revolvers don't. Seems to me he'd want to ban wheel guns instead. Proves to me he is ignorant on the issue, just believing what the Brady people tell him.
    Last edited by Bob Adams; 10-27-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Brako the whacko... he stands NO chance of getting that through, and in case by some magic he does, I'm sure the criminals will drop their GLocks and others off at the local cop station the next day...

A US president who relates violence in his society to the gun ownership issue? Imagine.

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Steven

Why does a civilian need an assault rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by John Teetsel View Post
    Who said anything about assault rifles?

My Browning is semi-auto....My Ruger .22 is semi-auto...my High Standard .22 is semi auto.....
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Why does a civilian need a semi-auto, then? Certainly not for hunting... anything other than humans, that is.

What are you doing about it?

"A US president who relates violence in his society to the gun ownership issue? Imagine."

There's a manhunt on, here nearby, has been since last Friday. The state police had a roadblock set up to check people's papers. I dunno, maybe some national security threat came down. They said it was a "seatbelt" check. Rt. One is the main coastal route through here. They stopped the guy with lights and such, and he brandished a handgun at the State Trooper. He then drove to his home, not far off, and ran on foot.

What was that guy thinking? I don't know, I've been keeping my doors locked, and a twelve gauge primed. He shouldn't have a gun! Nuts should not have guns! If you wave a handgun at a traffic stop, even if you question its validity, you are crackers. I hope they catch this guy before he hurts someone. Unbalanced.

But no, the US president shouldn't try to regulate beyond keeping guns out of the obviously un-balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    My Browning is semi-auto....My Ruger .22 is semi-auto...my High Standard .22 is semi auto.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Why does a civilian need a semi-auto, then? Certainly not for hunting... anything other than humans, that is.

Plinking, Orc. Target shooting without hassle. Rodent control.

My bolt action Anschutz always handled those tasks just fine... although I have to admit seal hunting is more fun with a semi.

What are you doing about it?

Ignorance of firearms sure is widespread around here, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
    I've read through the fact check site, and it seems to me he does want to ban semi-auto firearms. All semi-auto firearms
    wow,how will we be free, pay off debt, prepare for high cost oil and repair our standing in the world without a particular style of gun?

I did not happen to find a site where Obama advocated a ban on semi-automatics, whether rifles or pistols. Could some one please direct me.

Thank you.

"wow,how will we be free, pay off debt, prepare for high cost oil and repair our standing in the world without a particular style of gun?"

Thanks for a totally nonsequitur and poorly written response, Lee.

Look at fact check, Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    Ignorance of firearms sure is widespread around here, isn't it?
    It certainly is.

"wow,how will we be free, pay off debt, prepare for high cost oil and repair our standing in the world without a particular style of gun?"

Thanks for a totally nonsequitur and poorly written response, Lee.
    anytime jacko, a guy has to have priorities, so many questions with no answers.

My Remington 12 ga. is semi auto...my beretta 12 ga is manual side by side.....
    My model 77's are bolt action, the .444 and .357 are lever action....
    I know folks that hunt with Browning semi auto rifles.....
    If we are to ban semi auto firearms, I say first ban auto transmissions in automobiles, they kill more people in a single day than the firearms kill in a week or two.....we need some perspective.
    Just make it an automatic death penalty to commit a felony with a firearm.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un

"My Browning is semi-auto....My Ruger .22 is semi-auto...my High Standard .22 is semi auto....."

All of those banned under an Obama desire. Mark my words, this will be some of the first legislation proposed and passed when the Democrats take both houses of Congress and the Whitehouse.

Didn't the U.S. Supreme Court recently rule that the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms is an individual right and an outright ban of firearms is unconstitutional?

So how can Obama ban semi-automatic weapons?
    A fanatic is someone who won't change his mind and won't change the topic.

How about a bolt action, 3 shot suppressed 20mm rifle....do ya think that would get their attention?.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un

As recently as Aug. 28, when accepting his party's nomination at the Democratic National Convention, Obama said, "The reality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than for those plagued by gang-violence in Cleveland, but don't tell me we can't uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals."

Obama's policy statement doesn't mention any expansion of the expired ban, however. We're not sure where the NRA gets its claim that "millions" of additional weapons would be covered.
    http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2...ets_obama.html

Is this the site you're getting your information from?

If it is, our interpretations are somewhat different.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    How about a bolt action, 3 shot suppressed 20mm rifle....do ya think that would get their attention?.
    The Dems? Maybe.
    The Reps? Just tap your feet.

We don't know how lucky we are....

"So how can Obama ban semi-automatic weapons?"

By himself, he can't, but he's got allies in the Congress, more after this election, who are chomping at the bit for exactly that. Read the fact check web site. It's hardly a left leaning crew, right?

I think Jack has in mind this sort of thing:

Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:
    • Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
    • Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
    • Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.
    Source: 1998 IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test Jul 2, 1998

http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/bara...un_control.htm
    Of course, this is based on Obama's position as an Illinois state legislator 10 years ago. The game changed on June 27, 2008.

Are you unfamiliar with the U.S. Supreme Court decision, Jack? How soon we forget. All fear, all the time.

Obama has no intention of banning semi-automatic weapons. That's NRA
    bullsh!t. The following clip from the Fact Check site may be what frightens you. He is in favor of reinstating permanently a law that was in force during the Clinton administration which bans 19 military type assault weapons. The law was allowed to expire. He has no intention of banning the semi-automatic shotguns in our homes.

The NRA refers here to the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, which was put in place during former President Bill Clinton's administration. Title XI of the legislation spoke directly to regulations on assault weapons. The law outlawed the semi-automatic versions of 19 kinds of military-style assault weapons, but it expired in 2004. The "assault weapon ban" was always a misnomer, however. Fully automatic weapons – like the military assault rifle carried on battlefields – had always been illegal to own without a very hard-to-obtain federal license, under legislation going back to the days of Al Capone. They remain so today.

Nevertheless, Obama called the ban a "common sense gun law" and favors bringing it back on a permanent basis.

so many assumptions, no time for fact checking

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Didn't the U.S. Supreme Court recently rule that the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms is an individual right and an outright ban of firearms is unconstitutional?

So how can Obama ban semi-automatic weapons?

The court did rule just as you say. And in an effort to be consistent with some of It's more arduous rulings recently, it left the door wide open for more definition. Similar to abortion rulings, there is a room in the ruling to allow congress to define what an appropriate gun law should look like. So it is pretty possible that there will be some more defined constraints.

All our firearms are single shot or manual chambering so I suppose that Obama's position is not an issue for me.

Eric
    When half the people are happy half the time...is it still Democracy?
    People's opinions are like a map, once expressed, everyone knows where they stand.

so now we are back to guns, religion and abortion. sigh
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com

'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

If “fact check” means http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2...ets_obama.html, then it does NOT appear that Obama would ban the normal sporting semi-automatics. To wit:

"NRA Claim: "Expand the Clinton Semi-Auto Weapons Ban to Include Millions More Firearms"

"Partly true: The NRA refers here to the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, which was put in place during former President Bill Clinton's administration. Title XI of the legislation spoke directly to regulations on assault weapons. The law outlawed the semi-automatic versions of 19 kinds of military-style assault weapons, but it expired in 2004. The "assault weapon ban" was always a misnomer, however. Fully automatic weapons – like the military assault rifle carried on battlefields – had always been illegal to own without a very hard-to-obtain federal license, under legislation going back to the days of Al Capone. They remain so today.

"Nevertheless, Obama called the ban a "common sense gun law" and favors bringing it back on a permanent basis. Obama's "Urban Policy" fact sheet says he "supports making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets."

"As recently as Aug. 28, when accepting his party's nomination at the Democratic National Convention, Obama said, "The reality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than for those plagued by gang-violence in Cleveland, but don't tell me we can't uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals."

"Obama's policy statement doesn't mention any expansion of the expired ban, however. We're not sure where the NRA gets its claim that "millions" of additional weapons would be covered."

Had Jack indulged in an actual citation or, God save us, a quotation, then we would have known if he was referring to some other "fact check" or if he was just obdurately falling in with the NRA hysteria.

For a critique of problems with Fact Check’s analysis, which critique does nothing to give credence to the total nonsense being put out by the NRA, try http://volokh.com/posts/1222201928.shtml

Awrighty fellers...line up.....complete blueprints and full sized drawings for your very own 1874 Gatling gun with the improved magazine...just send 2 sawbucks for the complete files on CD...made of steel and brass on a unimat lathe in the privacy of your own home...y'all hurry now.....
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un

I wonder if the "semi-auto" term was his idea of assault weapons, as opposed to shot guns, pistols etc.

I sure wouldn't vote for a candidate based on just his view of the gun stuff. There will be much bigger things to deal with. And anyway, not likely anyone will ever get all the guns away from us, even if they try.
    Not all Dems would agree to radical gun laws I would think.

Mark my words, Obama, and the lilly livered Congress, are going to enact legislation which will make it illegal to own many, if not all, of your semi-auto guns. I may have jumped ahead with my intuition a bit, but that's what I'm good at.

If they don't do you promise to vote for Obama in 2012?

Oh Man! Wait til they find out I'm hold up in a compound with some home schooled kids too!
    Recovering Atheist

A question for the more knowledgable: If an assault weapon such as an AK has been modified to fire semi auto only, how difficult is it to restore it to full auto? Specifically, would it be much easier than modifying for full auto a weapon designed for semi auto only?

Nascar icon Junior Johnson endorses Barack Obama and says:
    ...he'll defend the Second Amendment to protect the hunter's way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by John Teetsel View Post

he didn't say assault rifle...stay on subject please...that includes semi auto .22's and deer rifles and duck guns and (Now) a lot of antiques...can even be described as a double barrel shotgun...one loading and multiple shots without working any bolt, etc

the assault word has become a religious term for non thinerws...and robo voters

try to think this out clearly...(sorry I'm griping but I get tired of buzz words bandied by the short thinkers of the world)
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post

yet more stupid commentary by the uneducated rabble

(damn that stuff pisses me off sometimes...anyone can think more clearly than that if they let go of "themselves" for a bit)
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

"A question for the more knowledgable: If an assault weapon such as an AK has been modified to fire semi auto only, how difficult is it to restore it to full auto? Specifically, would it be much easier than modifying for full auto a weapon designed for semi auto only?"

I'm a piker about this stuff, but just because an action in a weapon is configured as a semi-auto doesn't an assault weapon make. And yes, with a bit of very simple gun smithing you can make it go full auto. It's illegal, and should be! Capone and his mob running around blowing off carbines at full auto was not conducive to civil society.
    We locked them up, and gunned them down. Ya can't be doing that kinda ****e in a civil society!

But yes, from what I understand a "civilian" AK can be made full auto without a lot of fussing. I've never looked into the details, but it's not difficult for someone who knows how.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    anytime jacko, a guy has to have priorities, so many questions with no answers.
    is this a confession to being a single issue voter and the rest you couldn't care less about?...now THAT'S the way to ru(i)n a country!

I hope he attaches a signing statement to some republican pork bill that bans all firearms.

Jack you were never going to vote for Obama ....... ever.

Jack, you ought to get out more and get your nose out of the computer. I understand that there was at least one body down at the Hutchin's who hails from your neck of the woods...
    MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

"So how can Obama ban semi-automatic weapons?"

By himself, he can't, but he's got allies in the Congress, more after this election, who are chomping at the bit for exactly that. Read the fact check web site. It's hardly a left leaning crew, right?
    exactly the same way Bush has deminished our constitution...THINK, PEOPLE!!!!

give up football politics!

Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumper View Post
    Obama has no intention of banning semi-automatic weapons. That's NRA
    bullsh!t. The following clip from the Fact Check site may be what frightens you. He is in favor of reinstating permanently a law that was in force during the Clinton administration which bans 19 military type assault weapons. The law was allowed to expire. He has no intention of banning the semi-automatic shotguns in our homes.

The NRA refers here to the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, which was put in place during former President Bill Clinton's administration. Title XI of the legislation spoke directly to regulations on assault weapons. The law outlawed the semi-automatic versions of 19 kinds of military-style assault weapons, but it expired in 2004. The "assault weapon ban" was always a misnomer, however. Fully automatic weapons like the military assault rifle carried on battlefields had always been illegal to own without a very hard-to-obtain federal license, under legislation going back to the days of Al Capone. They remain so today.

Nevertheless, Obama called the ban a "common sense gun law" and favors bringing it back on a permanent basis.
    I happen to want a high capacity magizine...I've had them and didn't rob or murder with them and I am deeply offended by ignorant types who ASSUME that I will if I have one...get a grip you ignorant agenda pushers...this country needs admistrators, not DICTATORS!

the main failing of the left is that they cannot understand why their thinking shouldn't trump every one elses!

Mark my words, Obama, and the lilly livered Congress, are going to enact legislation which will make it illegal to own many, if not all, of your semi-auto guns. I may have jumped ahead with my intuition a bit, but that's what I'm good at.
    Gotta save this one.

"We have nothing to offer but fear itself." - republican motto circa 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post
    I hope he attaches a signing statement to some republican pork bill that bans all firearms.

Jack you were never going to vote for Obama ....... ever.
    you are NEVER gonna vote for the man...you vote for the party Mr. Hess

Look at who you people are listening to. The crackpot of the WB forum.
    The Reverend