Thread: Iain Oughtred Acorn 15/Atkin Bruce Conklin

Default Iain Oughtred Acorn 15/Atkin Bruce Conklin

I just ordered plans for the Acorn 15, but I had also had looked at Atkins Bruce Conklin. These boats seem very similar indeed. The Acorn LOA is 15'1" beam 3'11", The Bruce Conklin LOA is 15'6" beam 3'9". I actually ordered the Acorn plans before I remembered I was interested in the Bruce Conklin. Now Im not sure. Has any one else compared these two boats?
    Bruce Conklin

Acorn 15
    "Life hangs on a very thin thread and the cancer of time is complacency. If you are going to do something, do it now. Tomorrow is too late." Pete Goss

Default Re: Iain Oughtred Acorn 15/Atkin Bruce Conklin

I've seen an Acorn 15 in real life--stunningly beautiful. I think Oughtred's plans will have an edge in completeness over the old fashioned Atkin plans. How much of the details are you content to figure out for yourself? Oughtred is very thorough.

It also depends how you want to plank it. An Atkin plan will rarely be done for plywood while an Oughtred plan will rarely not be done for plywood.

An Acorn 15 rows and sails from Keyhaven, and I can confirm that it is very lovely to behold. Richard, who commissioned this professional build, hugely enjoys rowing her and sails her in surprising strong winds.

Keep an eye on the Jan / Feb Water Craft, there might be an article featuring Richard's Acorn 15, my sons Tammie Norrie and my Gannet. Alice came for a sail in August, we had a great time and I think the report is planned for then.

Brian

Hey guys, thanks for the replys. I feel good about my choice of the Acorn for many of the reasons stated. I agree Oughtred's plans will make it much easier to jump right in and start building, although I really want to attempt a boat that I have to loft myself. I will be doing it glued lap/plywood planks as well so I think the Acorn is the right decision. I was interested to know if anyone else ever noticed the similarity between these two boats. Thanks again.
    "Life hangs on a very thin thread and the cancer of time is complacency. If you are going to do something, do it now. Tomorrow is too late." Pete Goss

I've got plans for Oughtred's Eun Mara (some day I'm gonna build it) and in addition to full size drawings of the molds, stem, etc. it's also got the table of offsets. I suspect the Acorn is done the same way. Even though the full size drawings are provided, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and loft the boat anyway, to verify that the patterns for the molds are fair. Mine were printed on blueline paper, which has been known to stretch and shrink.
    Al

They both look like beautifull little boats based on late 19th century pulling boats. the fact you are building in plywood should not limit your choice, it is sometimes hard to transfer from ply to regular planks as it is easy to cut a ply plank with a large amount of curve where typical planking stock is relatively straight. going the other way as you would with the Atkin design should work fine. Just like cutting planks from a board you cut planks from a sheet of ply, works fine, I just built a Alpha-Beachcomber racing dory from Gardners plans for pine planking but I built with Marine Ply, no problem.
    The Atkin boat looks a little fuller at the waterline, while the acorn has slightly greater overall beam. The Acorn is designed with a sail option which will eliminate a lot of experimenting if you are interested in sailing.
    how will you be using the boat? Both of these boats are very small, about the size of a similar length canoe, they will be full with two people and a picnic basket, a bigger boat does not take much more work, all the same parts just cut them out a little bigger.
    Dan
    http://dansdories.googlepages.com

Thanks Dan, I love your dory pictures. That looks like a fun boat. My plans for this boat is mainly a pulling boat that I can occasionally sail. I built a Caledonia Yawl last winter and have just started sailing it this past Sept. It has been great, but it surly in no boat I want to oar very far, thus my next project. Your advise about planking makes sense, but since the Acorn will have sail options drawn that is the way I am going.
    Al, that is good advise to attempt lofting the Acorn using the offsets provided. I am going to do that. Can't wait till the plans get here.

hi jlaprad,

i built an acorn 15 and used it for quite a few years.

a beautiful boat- you'll get many compliments if you do a nice job. much of iain oughtred's detail is very elegant so follow his plans.

a lovely row boat. slices through chop and motor boat wake. can push through almost any adverse blow or tide as well.

terrible sail boat. a down wind sailor at best. two things-
    1) quite cramped under the boom when tacking (a minor annoyance).
    2) very easy to get caught in stays (this will really piss you off after a few years). i'm not a great sailor but also not an incompetent so i'll say with confidence that the difficulty was with the boat- not my sailing which seems to be adequate on every other boat i've sailed.

so. if you are after a row boat- you'll love an acorn 15- but if you have ideas of sailing, maybe look at a more dedicated sail boat like iain oughtred's fulmar (or many others) which on all accounts sails very well.

edited to add- i just read your above post where you say you have a caledonia yawl which i have heard are very nice sail boats (never sailed one myself). so i suppose an acorn 15 sounds great for you.
    Last edited by ian scott; 10-29-2008 at 05:59 AM.

jlaprad,

Have you visited the Caledonia Yawl "Crazybird" web site?

Please register your CY here:
    http://www.mavc2002.com/cyforum/viewforum.php?f=8

We're trying to figure out how many CY's there are in the world, where they are located and what are some of the individual characteristics of each one are. My Xena is the experimental one with the birdwing mast designed to stay out of the way of my fishing buddy when stored.

Also, I've figured out a fairly easy way to row a CY in case your interested here:

http://www.mavc2002.com/cyforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=657

But just like the Acorn 15 will never be a great sailboat, the CY will always be a load to row. Good luck with your Acorn 15 build.

Kenjamin, my Caledonia is not completely to "hoyle". It is an eight plank where I used a planking scale to line off the planks. It turned out pretty good, I have a slight downward rake in the sheer near the back, but I like it. I sail out of Ludington, MI in Lake Michigan. So far I love it. I want a pulling boat for those non sailing days, I can put in 1/2 mile from my house and have made a bicycle trailer that I can pull a small boat with. I plan on using the Acorn with that trailer to quickly get in the water. Here is my Caledonia, I have been to the web site but havn't registered my boat yet. I don't have a name for it...

Cool!!! Yes, I've seen your boat. Very nice work! I like what you did with the lines. Beautiful boat!!! She deserves a name, though. You've already got a best friend there. How about "Second Best Friend"? Just kiddin'. I'm sure you'll think of something.

I confess to also messing with the master's plan on the sheer. I just didn't need all that freeboard. Here is Xena parked next to what I called "the immaculate conception" (Patina) at the 2007 WoodenBoat Show at Mystic Seaport.

I'm pretty sure Patina was built exactly to plan. Xena has a rough fishing boat finish which I got some grief about from some but she is a real fishing boat so let the dead shrimp stick to where it may!

Congratulations your boat is beautiful! You should be very proud.

jlaprad,

Hey, would you mind telling me how much the Acorn 15 is supposed to weigh? And her beam?? I noticed that Sailrite sells the spritsail kit for that boat for $172.32 US with one set of reef points. And that sail would be a pretty easy kit to build. It would also be a pretty good sail for the Ross Lillistone Flint that I'm about to build. I was curious how the dimensions of the two boats compare. Thanks, kenjamin

Oh, I found that information on Jordon Boat site. Thanks anyways, kenjamin
    Last edited by kenjamin; 10-29-2008 at 02:37 PM.

I have the acorn 11 skiff, very similar boat to the 15. Rows beautifully, sails well too, and I guess due to its shorter length doesn't have the problem in stays mentioned above. Although I also, with iains support, rigged her with the lugsail from the 15, and moved the centrecase forward one station for balance. Maybe that helped. Anyway, great plans, very clear. Lovely boat. And although Iain only does snail ail, he's exceptionally helpful-or was 20 odd years ago when I built her.

My friends in Eureka have a highly-modified Acorn 15 that sails like a bat outa hell, so it may be the rig on your particular boat. I sail "against" her at many events, and our boats are well matched -- both pulling boats rigged for sail.

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

jalprad,
    Your CY is beautiful. I have Iain's plan set no.25 of the 7 strake hull design. Really like those planks. Get her registered, and name her. John

Here are a few pictures of the acorn to date... I added ribs because I wanted to try steam bending. I enjoyed the process, and they came out pretty good. 8" on center, 3/4" sassafras.

I live outside of Austin Texas, a yankee transplant.

Wow! Now I know what I want for Christmas!
    Thanks for sharing the pics . . . love that Acorn.