Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: launched Bolger Sea Hawk last weekend

Default launched Bolger Sea Hawk last weekend

Launched a Phil Bolger Sea Hawk this past weekend. This is a power semi dory 3 feet on bottom 4 feet at the gunnels 16 feet overall.

The boat is ply on frame 1/2inch bottom and 1/4inch sides.

I had orignially intended to power with a 15hp, but used a friends 6hp sailboat kicker to bring it around to our pier. The 6hp planed the boat with two people aboard and safely powered through a foot and a half chop. I was impressed with the boats efficiency and stability.

I have some pictures of the boat. If ya'll are interested in seeing them, I need some help posting them.

Default Re: launched Bolger Sea Hawk last weekend

www.photobucket.com

upload em, then copy and paste the link that looks like this [img]

E

Very interested in seeing photos!

How to post photos on the Wooden Boat Forum:
    First - don't attach photos. Most web forums don't allow it, and space limitations are the main reason why.

Second - Instead of attaching them to a thread, post the pics on the web somewhere. You have a free website area with any paid ISP's email account, or use www.picturetrail.com or other free hosting service.
    Once posted on the web, right-click the image to copy the URL (web address). Always test first by pasting the image URL into the window of a web browser and see if the image displays.
    Remember, the IMAGE URL will end in .jpg, not .htm or html. URLs ending in .htm are the page that the image is at, not the image location itself. If the image URL ends in other code, try deleting everything after the "xxxxxx.jpg" part of the URL to get it to display on web forums.

Third - once posted on the web, try this procedure while logged in to this Forum:
    1. Click the "User CP" link in the browser window in the top left of the menu bar.
    2. Click the "Edit Options" link about 1/4 of the way down the left column.
    3. In the "Misc Options" at the bottom of the next page, select "Enhanced Interface" from the pulldown list.
    4. Once this interface has been selected, in any "Reply" window you can click the "insert photo" icon --> a little yellow square icon with the stamp in the upper right corner, the mountains in the lower center.
    5. Once the little dialog box titled "Please enter the URL of your image" comes up, paste the URL of the photo in the field.

If unsure of the procedure, test first by pasting the image URL into the window of a web browser.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Did you build from Payson's book? And did you use the strongback or go free hand with the expanded side panels?

This one is on my short list, if I decide I ever want a power skiff again. I've got a 9.9 Johnson that would be just right.

Bob

I built the hull on the jig Payson describes. The expanded side drawings in Payson's book are helpful. I used chine logs and cleats. The hull was then filleted inside and glassed on the outside.

Here are some additional photos(probably too many):

Sweet!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

That is seriously nice...........just what I have been looking for!!
    ...where can I get a set of plans??

Very nice boat! I seriously want one(adds to already too long list).
    Just a hint about Photobucket- There's a setting you can choose to automatically resize any photos you upload to a size that won't "blow up" a thread ie. post a pic that requires scrolling left and right to view the whole thing. Play around with it to understand the features and find what suits you best.
    Oh yeah, Welcome!

Doug

Brett, that is is pretty slippery looking skiff! Good job! I agree that the 6hp outboard is plenty of motor for this boat. I'd recommend getting a telescoping, jointed tiller extension. The universal joint makes a big difference by allowing you to hold the tiller while your arms are in more comfortable positions.

Neat little panga!

E

Great boat! Congratulations.

A beautiful and well executed job Brett, with a wonderfully clean finish.May she bring countless hours of pleasure when summer returns Congrats!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

What everyone else has said, plus: don't ever worry about posting too many pictures, especially when they feature a beautiful boat with such a beautiful mermaid aboard!

I appreciate all of the appreciation. I'm currently working off a dial-up connection so I was just happy to get some pictures up but I'll try to cut the photo size down next time. I'll keep ya'll posted if I have anymore info about the boat's usefulness. Thanks.
    Brett

Great looking boat. Can she be built without the jig. In the style of Walter Baron, Paul Bennett or Brockway where the plywood sides are cut and fitted to the stem and transom with a mold or frame placed at a point to determine the shape then attaching the bottom and finishing the thwarts and intermediate frames etc.

Cool little boat man!
    1959 "Nordic" (Abbott-built) Folkboat KC36 "Odds n Ends"

Nice boat! I bet it can get good fish per gallon of fuel. Efficient design like Mr. Bolger could do so well.

Very clean finish you have there...very nice.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

She still looks good after almost a year from the last picture posted

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Very interested in seeing photos!

How to post photos on the Wooden Boat Forum:
    First - don't attach photos. Most web forums don't allow it, and space limitations are the main reason why.

Second - Instead of attaching them to a thread, post the pics on the web somewhere. You have a free website area with any paid ISP's email account, or use www.picturetrail.com or other free hosting service.
    Once posted on the web, right-click the image to copy the URL (web address). Always test first by pasting the image URL into the window of a web browser and see if the image displays.
    Remember, the IMAGE URL will end in .jpg, not .htm or html. URLs ending in .htm are the page that the image is at, not the image location itself. If the image URL ends in other code, try deleting everything after the "xxxxxx.jpg" part of the URL to get it to display on web forums.

Third - once posted on the web, try this procedure while logged in to this Forum:
    1. Click the "User CP" link in the browser window in the top left of the menu bar.
    2. Click the "Edit Options" link about 1/4 of the way down the left column.
    3. In the "Misc Options" at the bottom of the next page, select "Enhanced Interface" from the pulldown list.
    4. Once this interface has been selected, in any "Reply" window you can click the "insert photo" icon --> a little yellow square icon with the stamp in the upper right corner, the mountains in the lower center.
    5. Once the little dialog box titled "Please enter the URL of your image" comes up, paste the URL of the photo in the field.

If unsure of the procedure, test first by pasting the image URL into the window of a web browser.
    Thorne.
    I love you like a brother, but you really must stop posting this. It is way more complicated than is necessary. Check my signature. PM me if you like, we can discuss this. In a spirit of friendship.
    My apologies to Brett for hijacking his thread.
    Keep It Simple: KISS it better.

Lovely boat!

But can I build her without a jig???

Can't have too many pictures of such a great-looking boat!

Im really happy to see this thread, and especially the photos. Thanks!

My next build is a similar Bolger design, but with more flare in the topsides, 42 across the bottom and 6 2 beam, 17 3 LOA.

Im hoping that I get as good results from a 9.9 hp with two aboard. Your experience is reassuring.

Wayne

Thanks for looking at this thread again

Jclays-
    Payson gives expanded side plank shapes for the Seahwak in his book but no expanded bottom shape. So building off a jig is pretty neccesary. I'm not sure how you would get the proper bottom rocker otherwise. The building jig was easy to build and use i made it from scraps of construction osb and two 2x8s. I can send you some construction phatos. As soon as I finish my new boat i'll set the building jig up again and can send you bottom measurements. I have a stack of fir marine ply and two sticks of mahogany that i've earmarked for a second seahawk.

Wx-
    the yellow paint is interlux's perfection two part polyurethane. So i cant really take credit for the finish. That paint turns out amazing everytime. The inside is porch and floor polyurethane and is holding up well in the sun after a year.

The Seahawks bottom is 34" x 12'. Planes easily with the 6hp and one person. With gear and two aboard it still planes. Bolgers plans call list 20hp as a maximum. I can't imagine what that would feel like.

My boat is probably heavier than Bolger intended. I ended up using yellow pine plywood and epoxy coated the whole boat. The outside is covered in 10oz cloth doubled on the bottom inside and out. The extra weight has it sitting bellow the designed waterline. Even with the extra weight i'm happy with the performance. Its made its way out most weekends this past year and i've only used 7 gal of gas.

I'd love to have a bigger boat like a nexus 16 or 21 but i can still stand and cast from the seahawk in choppy conditions. Even better, it fits in the bed of my truck so i dont need a trailer. I made a set of oars for it and i really enjoy rowing it. I have more fun rowing the seahawk then i do rowing my parents Chester yawl. I can even troll for fish while rowing

Brett
    Yes ,please, thank you. I would like more info and photos.
    Where did you get the plans?

any photos of the build?
    www.schleiffboatworks.com "classic boats for modern times"

These are the photos i could find of the build.
    The wheeled cart was my strong back i set the frames up on the cross members tacked the side panels loosely on attached the stem and re aligned the side panels. I then attached the transom. Fitted my chine logs and faired the bottom mating surface. I took a 4x12 sheet of 1/2 inch and traced the bottom shape. Cut out the bottom sheet with the proper bevel and nailed it to the chine logs. I then taped the seams and flipped the boat over. Removed the the jig frames and set the boat on the strongback rightside up. Taped in the seat bulkheads. Straightfoward and pretty well explained in Payson's building the new instant boats.

Timm i'm located in summersville i'd like to come see your operation PMail me if you want to talk about the Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by brett price View Post
    . . . Timm i'm located in summersville i'd like to come see your operation PMail me if you want to talk about the Seahawk . . .
    OMG! Until 16 months ago, I was located between you two (if you took WV 39 and US 219) in Hillsboro.

Small world!

I expect to be at the house in Hillsboro next week. PM me, too, and maybe we can make it a threesome.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by brett price View Post

Timm i'm located in summersville i

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jeffers View Post
    OMG! Until 16 months ago, I was located between you two (if you took WV 39 and US 219) in Hillsboro.

Small world!

I expect to be at the house in Hillsboro next week. PM me, too, and maybe we can make it a threesome.

Wayne
    This is pretty incredible....

I will be around next week, after Monday you are both welcome anytime. I also just cleaned the shop!

PM or call

304 667 1090 cell
    304 497 2012 shop
    www.schleiffboatworks.com "classic boats for modern times"

A thread worth bumping. I missed it first time around.

And another bump. I have three of the Instant Boat books and had forgotten about this lovely hull ...

Hmm, I have Paysons book too, and I have some sheets of 1/4 inch, and one of 1/2 inch, and.... what am I waiting for?
    I wonder if it can be built stitch and glue?

It's a highly tempting boat, isn't it, Oldad. I'd love to hear more from Brett or other builders on just how tender this hull might be, as I would use it for lake fishing. Not a lot of space inside, but the lines are just so enchanting ...