Thread: Mcinnis Bateau build thread

Default Mcinnis Bateau build thread

I just starting building the JEM watercraft version of the Mcinnis Bateau. I am just using this as a place to share build progress and ask questions as I go along.
    I've been into woodworking for about 3 years but this is my first attempt at a boat.
    I'm using Meranti BS1088 I got from world panel, I had to have it shipped as there are no marine plywood suppliers in a reasonable drive from me. I'm still undecided on gunwhale/inwhale/breasthook materials. I might just try to use some SYP as its plentiful in Georgia. I had the thought that Osage Orange would be interesting and unique but I don't know if I'll go to the trouble of tracking it down.
    So far all I've done is start to put lines on a cheap piece of underlayment as a practice run. I'm going to do a practice run of cutting my panels with a circular saw before I cut into the Meranti that costs a lot to ship.
    It's going to be built in my two car garage/workshop and the goal is to have a boat that I can slide in the bed of my short bed F150 with a hitch extender for support and take to freshwater ponds/lakes and the Savannah river that is local to me. I'm naming it the S.N. Sturgeon for a species that inhabits the Savannah river. S.N. stands for short nosed.
    Workspace.jpg All I've got done so far. I need to go find a suitable piece of lumber for a batten next.

Default Re: Mcinnis Bateau build thread

Looks like a nice boat

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Is that an Anarcist's tool chest I see?
    Simmons Sea Skiff build photos here:
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...92a21VWm02bmhR

Sounds like a great plan to me. The osage orange would be a nice touch.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    Is that an Anarcist's tool chest I see?
    Good eye! It is, but it's the cheater version, I made the case with plywood and rabbets.

Still nice!
    Simmons Sea Skiff build photos here:
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...92a21VWm02bmhR

Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    Still nice!
    Thanks it was a fun build.

I haven't made a lot of progress. You know pointless job getting in the way of fun.
    I have managed to cut out all 12 pieces of the sides. I cut templates for the three different shapes out of a piece of doorskin to get a feel for cutting the curves with a circular saw. Then I traced them onto the Meranti panels and cut out 4 of each (2 panels equal 1 length of boat with a butt block/scarf joint). That made quite a pile of sawdust in my garage. I used a piece of 1.5" thick pink rigid foam I picked up from home depot. I was kind of hesitant to spend the $24 on it but it was worth every penny I think. I have some clean up work now I cut maybe 1/8"-1/16" proud of the line so as not to make mistakes and I need to go back with a plane or belt sander now to fair them all to match. I think I'm going to start with a number 4 to try to stay away from all the dust and noise of the belt sander.
    IMG_20180121_212405833_HDR.jpgMy shop helper.
    IMG_20180127_194429.jpgFoam insulation
    IMG_20180127_205222.jpg Sides cut out
    IMG_20180127_210002981_HDR.jpgHand plane on plywood?! Blasphemy!
    IMG_20180127_210243769_HDR.jpg Probably a couple hours work to fair all these panels.

A sharp hand plane on plywood will work better than just about any other tool.It will fair dips and ripples and it is quiet and clean compared to power tools.Your four legged helper will appreciate the comparative silence.

Tisk, tisk. Our old Sar-major woodwork teacher at school back in 1954 taught us NEVER put a plane down on it's bottom; always lay it on it's side to 'preserve/save' the blade edge. Other than that - good work so far.
    Cheers from Martin B.
    Mandurah, Western Australia
    mcbunny09@gmail.com

Frenchman's Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Looks like this is well on its way to becoming a nice boat, not unlike the 8 footer I designed and built for my little nephews, but much more versatile due to its larger size.

I usually cut mirror image panels stacked together, but haven't yet dared to do this freehand with a circular saw. For both straight cuts and gentle curves I've felt the need to clamp and/or nail down a guide; I'm very happy that I have a wooden shed floor that I can nail into. I've used everything from really thick cardboard to strips of wood underneath the plywood to keep the blade from mangling my floor but the rigid foam is a really elegant solution.

I was taught the same about always placing planes on their side, and after spending over $100 on my block plane I do my best to remember that advice. I imagine it would depend on the surface though and putting it blade down would be most damaging on metal or concrete.

I faired three of them last night. It didn't take too long but I ended up having to spend some shop time putting paste wax on my table saw as I noticed it was starting to get some surface rust. The number 4 worked very well, definitely not going to use the belt sander.

Yes I guess I never really saw the point to putting a hand plane on its side if its on a wooden surface such as a work bench. I guess maybe its good practice so you don't make a mistake if its not a wood surface. How much can setting in on wood which is what is designed to cut really dull the blade? Either way I appreciate the advise and to each their own.

I hope to get the rest of the panels faired this week. I need to order some epoxy so I can start putting them together. I'm going to use fiberglass butt blocks to join them as per the plans. I think I might should have just scarfed them, there would have been enough length in the sheets of plywood but the idea of changing the math for where the panels meet if I lengthened them for scarf joints seemed daunting to me.

The circular saw cutting was definitely my least favorite part so far. I don't mind power tools but I prefer stationary tools they seem easier to use to me but that's not really an option for curved cuts in 4x8 sheets of plywood. Maybe if I rough cut them and then took them to the band saw but then why not just get it over with?

I got all the side panels fair. I need to mark out and cut the bottom panels and the bulkheads next.
    A couple questions for anyone that cares to answer.
    1. Should I build a real strongback? Just lay the boat across a couple sawhorses? build it on the uneven garage floor? Something in between?
    2. A ways off but what is normal as far as adding cleats, bow eyes and such on a small rowboat? I was thinking about adding end pours like in a kayak and then adding bow eyes to that? Or should I just put rope through a hole in the end pour?

So a little update on this build. It's now in the fire pit! I'm not sure what I did, or if the plans themselves had incorrect offsets. I moved 2 years ago and it got put on the back burner and sat for 2 years. I had lots of time off work during the pandemic and decided to start working on it again. I used fiberglass butt joints too join the panels and they didn't fit closely enough together to be saved even with a thick glob of epoxy I'm afraid. I then had leftover epoxy and cloth and lots of time but no more marine plywood. I live in a suburb of Augusta, GA and nobody sells marine plywood for hours so I built a Michalak Pole Punt out of exterior AC SYP. I'll post pics in another thread of that.

Bateau.jpg