At long last, I've been able to make some forward progress on my Buzzards Bay 14. I'm hoping that with a little bit of luck, I'll be able to launch her this summer. It's still amazing just how much goes into the construction of a boat like this.
For inspiration, I just picked up a copy of "Sloop" by Daniel Robb which covers his foray into the restoration of a 1939 Herreshoff 12 1/2 (an earlier cousin of the BB14). Looks like a pretty good read.
Anyway, here are some progress photos:
The aft deck and cockpit floor beams
The 1/2" ply deck covered with dynel set in epoxy. All primed with Kirby's primer. Note the double chain plates. This boat will be rigged with a larger gaff sail (as drawn by Chip Flanagan, a very reputable builder in Maine) and the second set of chain plates will be used for added stability (I didn't really want running backstays if I could help it).
The cedar seats are fitted in.
Lastly, I've got the ballast keel jacked into place for rough fitting. I really struggled with getting this keel done and faired. I posted a few threads on my casting a year or so ago, and it's nice to see that this thing finally is getting into place. Fairing was much more difficult than I expected. I guess the "wheel weights" must have had a lot of antimony in it because the lead is pretty hard. I had to "shave" off quite a bit, and the only thing that worked was a skilsaw with a carbide tipped blade. I used it like a grinder of sorts and was able to (very carefully and with a full face shield respirator) grind it to the dimensions/shape needed. It was like shooting tiny lead bullets everywhere. Clean up was, as you'd expect, a real chore!
Lookin' forward to completing more phases and posting photos.