Thread: Caledonia Yawl question

Default Caledonia Yawl question

Does anyone know if the plans sold by WBS for the yawl are from an old set provided by Mr. Oughtred? I see Classic Marine sells theirs for a bit more. The Caledonia Yawl forum has posts from members talking about a four strake versus seven strake version, and many of these builds have decks and lockers. Would it be best to contact Ian directly for a current set of plans?

I still don't have my first boat wet but fall and winter are the seasons to dream.

Default Re: Caledonia Yawl question

Someone here should know. Have you tried the Oughtred forum on Yahoo Groups?
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I'm not sure if WB has the seven strake (new) set of plans. For the most current plans, I'd contact Iain O. directly. Anyway, if you buy the plans directly from him, he gets the maximum profit from the sale.

Cheers,
    Garth

I would always advise buying plans directly from the designer (if possible) for the reason cited above. Also you can expect better support if you end up needing help. Just my .02 worth.

I bought my plans from WoodenBoat for my 4 strake Caledonia Yawl and have had very good support from Mr. Oughtred. Iain Oughtred has been very prompt when responding to letters and one time I asked him something on the telephone. He doesn't hang out on the forum like some of the designers but he is very good about responding to snail mail as is Phil Bolger. I also got a letter from Iain Oughtred one day offering me upgrade to the new 7 strake plans (I forgot the price) but he must have been informed by WoodenBoat that I had bought the four strake plans.

Is the 7 strake version simply more aesthetically pleasing or is there a more practical reason that I'm missing? I would think the 4 strake version woud be a little simpler to build.

Smile Re: Caledonia Yawl question

Aesthetically pleasing is your call, but I believe the 7 strake is easier in that the garboards are easier to bend to the forms, but the 7 strakes are more work to cut and fit.

Dave/all

wooden boat's plans are the old style CY. they are fine and highly recomended but you get a lot more value buying directly from Iain. he is very helpful (a bit of a ludite at heart it think) but it will be all snailmail and phone calls. my lines plan has my name on them and the number of the printed set. this makes for a good display piece.

I also highly recomend jordan boats. they are top rate and have a contract to kit up the CY in the U.S. his prices are very reasonable and a lot of hard work is done for you. http://www.jordanboats.co.uk/JB/index.htm

The 7 strake planks are pretty easy to bend to the form but a good deal of tweeking is still necessary. Finally, she is bigger and heavier than you imagine so if realestate is an issue choose one of his shorter designs.

Gary
    "those who loved you and were helped by you will remember you. So carve your name on hearts and not on marble."

Thank you all for your replies. It is good to get confirmation regarding the various CY versions being offered. I will drop a line to the Isle of Skye when I get serious regarding this project.

Dave,

Jeff Sayler of Sayler Marine there in Portland built a Caledonia Yawl not that long ago. I reccommend you look him up in the phone book--he's a great guy and would be very helpful.

" Anyway, if you buy the plans directly from him, he gets the maximum profit from the sale."

But then there is no reason for our host to provide publicity by selling the plans.

Maximum profits for a single sale does not always equate to maximum profit overall.

Just stumbled across this. It looks like I can get a CY kit for $2600....that's not good news....it sounds so easy....how hard could a kit be?...I never seriously considered building a wooden boat....until now....

I wonder how many years of my life I'm fixin to commit to this?

Cool Re: Caledonia Yawl question

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Just stumbled across this. It looks like I can get a CY kit for $2600....that's not good news....it sounds so easy....how hard could a kit be?...I never seriously considered building a wooden boat....until now....

I wonder how many years of my life I'm fixin to commit to this?
    Lots and lots. More on the fun end after it's built. Building is fun too. Using is WAY more fun. I don't have any clue what is included with the kit. The plywood purchase for Elisabeth Grace was $1,600+ back in 2002. There wasn't much leftover. Sails from Gamble & Hunter were approximately $1,500 in 2003. Trailers in Texas are pretty cheap.
    Wayne
    Somewhere in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    The Straight of Georgia looks big.
    http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ven...isabeth+Grace/
    http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/venchka/

The money is almost irrelevant to the amount of joy you will experience from having a CY. Whatever it costs you to build it, it will be the biggest bargain you could ever imagine.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

I just added up the receipts for my Arctic Tern; 18' x 5'4", probably 2/3 the displacement of a CY. Materials cost a bit more than $3k, plus $400 for Sailrite kit (lug yawl) and $350 for used trailer plus $200 for new wheels, tires, bearings, seals.

Plywood and lumber was only about $750 for BS1088 Meranti and rough sawn Sassafras.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com