Thread: Voter disqualifications

Default Voter disqualifications

If the election ends up being close, this could be a real problem:

Tens of thousands of eligible voters in at least six swing states have been removed from the rolls or have been blocked from registering in ways that appear to violate federal law, according to a review of state records and Social Security data by The New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/09/us...nted=1&_r=1&hp

Default Re: Voter disqualifications

Down here in Jackson County Missouri at the epicenter of voter suppression and Voting Rights Act violations, you can plainly see why inner city citizens must be prevented from voting and ACORN must be prosecuted. Just go watch unlawful detainer day at court in Kansas City, Missouri and look at who is getting evicted from homes they have lost. You can't have socially disadvantaged people voting in large numbers. How would their representatives be counted on to vote for bailing out rich investment bankers?

ACORN has been working here in Kansas City for maybe two years to organize to stop the foreclosures. I drive by all these wonderful houses in the core metro area brought up to FHA standards during the Clinton years. You couldn't match them for a half million in new construction today. They are also near the central infra structure and utilize land space intelligently for mass transit (something our suburban sprawl makes impossible).

I believe in free markets but I realize these homes were lost because Cheney monopolized the distribution of oil with the largest market competitors in a secret meeting. No one could afford the family budget impact of the gas prices (in KC's core, the cost of driving to perimeter sprawl to work) and it did not matter because the monopolization of gasoline along with the monopolization of hospital supplies killed jobs at Chrysler, GM and Ford and the 8 other manufacturing jobs each of those jobs represented.

Now US Attorney John Wood, Bradley J. Schlozman's successor will no doubt prosecute some ACORN workers for voter fraud.

As the article notes, both parties are participating in this activity. Republicans have been pushing the voter fraud issue pretty hard for years without having shown any widespread voter fraud. I think vote suppression is a far bigger problem.

Many states require that outfits like Acorn turn in all the voter registration forms that get filled out, even if they look bogus. Acorn separates out the fishy looking ones and flags them for the state officials to take a closer look at. I understand the reason for the law. You could go around your opponents' stronghold making think they had registered and toss the lot otherwise.

So I'm wondering what all the fuss is about. I don't have cable. Is Fox pushing this thing?

Republicans often will cry abuse to cover up their own abuses. They make the first cry loudly to distract from the fact that what the accuse their enemies of doing is exactly what they are up to. It was SOP for the Nazis in their rise to power.

The purging of voter rolls by the Republicans has been ongoing in many states, but they always trot out stories of some guy falsely registered to vote (usually a black or Hispanic). How many cases of voter fraud by Democrats have been discovered, prosecuted and what is the number of convictions in these cases?
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by Landrith View Post
    ...these homes were lost because Cheney monopolized the distribution of oil with the largest market competitors in a secret meeting....
    Now that's a keeper!

Editorial- NYT

The Myth of Voter Fraud

Published: May 13, 2008
    Missouri and at least 19 other states are considering passing laws that would force people to prove their citizenship before they can vote. These bills are not a sincere effort to prevent noncitizens from voting; that is a made-up problem. The real aim is to reduce turnout by eligible voters. Republicans seem to think that laws of this kind will help them win elections, but burdensome rules like these and others cropping up around the country pose a serious threat to democracy and should be stopped.
    Skip to next paragraph
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

The gas price increase, starting with the first attempted coup in Venezuela (our biggest volume supplier) while Bush was just president elect and everything since resulting in significantly increased prices at the pump then in groceries and other commodities quickly reflecting the fuel increases was the constant strong signal in a complex system that destabilized everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Landrith View Post
    The gas price increase, starting with the first attempted coup in Venezuela (our biggest volume supplier) while Bush was just president elect and everything since resulting in significantly increased prices at the pump then in groceries and other commodities quickly reflecting the fuel increases was the constant strong signal in a complex system that destabilized everything.
    We may not agree on how it happened, but I do heartily agree with you that the spectacular spike in the price of oil was a major factor in today's economic panic.

The good news is that oil is now trading at $78 a barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by High C View Post

The good news is that oil is now trading at $78 a barrel.

Yet gas is still well over $3.00 a gallon! I bet it comes down slower than it went up The bastids!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Yet gas is still well over $3.00 a gallon! I bet it comes down slower than it went up The bastids!
    Remember that almost half the rigs in the Gulf are still down from two recent hurricanes. It's a wonder prices are falling at all, given that.

I saw regular today for $2.99.

Quote Originally Posted by High C View Post

Remember that almost half the rigs in the Gulf are still down from two recent hurricanes. It's a wonder prices are falling at all, given that.

I saw regular today for $2.99.
    I caught a radio deal with Donald Trump last week , he was saying OPEC had tankers at sea that they would NOT let pull in to off load thier oil. He went on to trash OPEC as a whole and basically said they are crooks and pushing the price as high as they dare.

So apparently there's plenty of oil ( right now ) , and maybe our (USA) using less has had some effect.

Check that tire pressure eh

I paid $3.39 a gal. yesterday for regular.

Thank ACORN for their fine work ... a few bad sectors will be the downfall of this election.
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.