Thread: Add a pending patent to resume?

Default Add a pending patent to resume?

I have a patent that was just submitted to the patent office. I am wondering if I should bother putting that on my resume or just wait till it gets accepted (which could be a long long time)
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Default Re: Add a pending patent to resume?

OH HELL YES put that on your resume!!

It's only the fact I can't find the certificate that keeps me from putting my Grade 4 Spelling Bee win on mine!

Everything that makes you look good should be on there. Well, you probably don't need to mention that your dog loves you, but you know what I mean. It's only a few keystrokes away; it can't hurt; it might help.

By the bye, I am prototyping something I will want to submit for a patent. What was your experience with the whole process?
    Last edited by Captain Blight; 10-10-2008 at 01:37 AM.

I got a patent back in the mid-90s...very long and expensive process. I swore if I ever had something patentable again I would sell it first and let the interested party apply for the patent.

You have to pay an expert to do the search for prior art, you have to pay an expert to do the drawings, then pay a patent law firm to push it through. The guy that did the search for prior art just took my money apparently. Several months into the process I found prior art using resources at the public library, stuff my guy never found or mentioned.
    Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

Indeed patents are expensive little critters and totally useless if you don't happen to have the money to defend them.

Can't hurt to put it on the resume, though.

the smart money is in marketing , not patents

dragons den

Having a patent pending would certainly be something to put on your resumé if it were pertinent to your professional ambitions, but...

I once read an "instructive anecdote" about resumés that has stuck with me for a quarter century and many, many job applications:

"Lee Iacocca is arguably one of the most successful businessmen in North America. His resumé is two pages long. Have you done more than Lee Iacocca? Keep your resumé short and to the point!"
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I left the car business and have been working as an Executive Recruiter (headhunter) in the bio-fuel industryfor about a year now. I see , and analyze hundreds of resumes every week.
    If the patent reflects your expertize at your profession it is a BIG plus. When I send a resume to a client, we clean up anything that just takes the client more time to read, like my hobbies , references etc.
    However, if I were to place you before a client for consideration, and you have a patent pending in your field, I would highlight that to the client.
    So if it's just an interest and your resume is too long don't bother. If it applies to your abilities then shout it.

gee, i have over 30 patents and trademarks and occasionally work as an expert witness in PTC issues. guess i'm so used to them and don't think that much of it as i don't even mention it on my resume. as far as the process is concerned most patents application are initially returned for further description, explanation due to prior art that you didn't find in your own patent search. this "office action" will delay things. having said that, a few recent applications went thru without any office actions. from date of app to patent issuance was about 18months. a few patent examiners have told me that they are extremely busy. this particular one was working from home
    in Maryland because there was no room for her in DC. apparently the PTO is hiring!

Yeah, sure, put it on unless the resume is getting too long and cumbersome. I have two, and had a third one pending that never went through, which I had on the resume while it was in process. It can't hurt.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I have one patent, and another pending. Put it on, especially if it is relavent.

FYI the PTO is conducting an office action on my pending patent, they say 2010 or 2011, appllication went in June of 2007.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

I would put it on the resume. Also--I recall a memo circulating from a headhunter that noted two reasons for a quick rejection of an applicant:

1--a weak handshake
    2--owns a boat

Thanks guys. I put it in there.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

btw. only get the patent if the idea has real marketability. remember it is a means of protecting your IP, but if you don't make any money off of the patent it isn't worth getting. and if it is worth getting then it's worth getting world wide patents and they are really expensive by comparrison, given the number of apps that need to be made. there is a time sensitive filing procedure that allows you to benefit the filing date of your original application. good luck with your endeavors.

Its kind of a fringe benefit since the company I work for provides expert witnesses in patent and copyright litigation cases.
    We have easy access to patent attorneys and such.
    I myself create tools for detecting software theft.
    On the upside, I dont have to pay for it. On the down side, my bosses name is also on it.

Quote Originally Posted by john l View Post
    btw. only get the patent if the idea has real marketability. remember it is a means of protecting your IP, but if you don't make any money off of the patent it isn't worth getting. and if it is worth getting then it's worth getting world wide patents and they are really expensive by comparrison, given the number of apps that need to be made. there is a time sensitive filing procedure that allows you to benefit the filing date of your original application. good luck with your endeavors.
    That is what I finally concluded after going through the process. I had some early interest in my product including an encouraging response from Harken (and a letter from RollerBlade's legal department informing me that they owned the rights to the name I had chosen) but nothing ever came of it and I chose not to renew when the time came. The lesson learned was, sell the product or idea before going through all of the time and expense to get a patent.
    Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

the dichotomy is that it is difficult to sell or even show a product to a company without
    patent protection. most companies will not even look at your idea if it isn't patented.
    Provisional patent application with the PTO "Disclosure Document Program" is a way around this. for $100 you file your idea in this program and you are provisionally
    protected. you have 1 year to file an actual patent and benefit for the original date of your disclosure. in theory this give you time to sell your idea and then apply for the patent. or it may simply give your idea away if you don't file by that date. a combination of the Provisional Patent and a NDA - Non Disclosure Agreement with a 3-5 year term usually will cover you. all provided that you have the means to challenge someone who may steal your IP.

on the other hand - nothing ventured nothing gained. go for it! good luck