Thread: Marine Plywood in Charlotte, NC??

Default Marine Plywood in Charlotte, NC??

Hello, I've been searching for several weeks now and I have not been able to find a place in the Charlotte, NC area that carries marine grade plywood in the thicknesses I need (1/4" and 3/8").

If there is anyone out there in the Charlotte area who has built their own boat, PLEASE let me know what kind of wood you used and where you found it?

Failing in that, does anyone know of a suitable replacement for marine grade plywood? If it helps I'm looking to build an Argie 15 (stitch and glue) that will be primarily dry sailed.

Thanks,
    Chris

Default Re: Marine Plywood in Charlotte, NC??

Very few yards will carry marine plywood because the demand is so low. However almost all yards can order exactly what you want from a distributor.

If you're going to build S&G, and (the big IF) if the boat will be completely encapsulated in FG, then a good low-cost alternative would be bathroom-floor underlayment. It's birch, 5 plies in the 1/4" thickness I buy (I use it for everything) and it's about 28 bucks a sheet. Very low void, and lammed up with waterproof glue. Seal all edges, keep the water out, and you'll have something that will last quite a while with the necessary care.

In thicker stock, MDO board does quite well.

I guess, you will find diverse opinions on this question. A lot of people have used substitute materials with good success. I also suspect a fair number have done that only to have their boats have very short lives. For some types of very simple boats perphaps this is ok.

My two cents is that for all the labor involved in building most boats, it is a shame to compromise the end result by using less than quality materials. A lot of marine supplies can be very difficult to find these days. However, the search can be part of the fun.

World Panel Products carries all kinds of marine plywoods. I think Hydrocore is probably the least expensive. While they are not exactly close to Charlotte, they do have a location in Windsor, NC which is about 275 miles. This is a good source of materials that is a lot closer to you than it is for a lot of us. If you can wait a little bit, maybe you need to take a trip in that direction anyway)assuming you have a pickup). You might call them and check on shipping, since you are relatively close it might not be too bad. They are at 252 794-9944.

Meanwhile keep checking and ask if any of the specialty lumberyards will order for you.

Hopefully someone else will respond with something closer to Charlotte.

Believe me I share your frustration. But don't give up the ship!

Good luck.

You might try McEwen at this address: http://www.hooddistribution.com/index.html I have used them for marine plywood from the Raleigh location, but they also have distribution from Greenville, SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blight View Post
    If you're going to build S&G, and (the big IF) if the boat will be completely encapsulated in FG, then a good low-cost alternative would be bathroom-floor underlayment. It's birch, 5 plies in the 1/4" thickness I buy (I use it for everything) and it's about 28 bucks a sheet. Very low void, and lammed up with waterproof glue. Seal all edges, keep the water out, and you'll have something that will last quite a while with the necessary care.

In thicker stock, MDO board does quite well.
    Yes on S&G but I wasn't planning on totally glassing it. However I did find a site where a guy was building one andd it wouldn't be hard to glass it in side and outside. I should laso clarify that this is my first ever boat building project and plan to use the boat to learn how to use a head sail as well as teach my wife to sail. It only going to be sailed on the lake (Lake Norman) and will most likely be stored indoors (rafters) when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Borel View Post
    You might try McEwen at this address: http://www.hooddistribution.com/index.html I have used them for marine plywood from the Raleigh location, but they also have distribution from Greenville, SC.
    I looked at the site but I'm a little unsure what I would need. They don't specify "marine" grade or not. As for location, I think either Raleigh or Charleston would be ok since I'm pretty much the same distance from both.

I can confirm that they have marine grade plywood at the Raleigh location.

McEwen stocks BS1088 in occume which is what you should look for.
    Tom L

I looked at the McEwen website. They appear to be a wholesale sales outfit. Do they sell small quantities retail?

Cool, thanks for the info and confirmations. I'll have to give them a call when I'm ready to get started. Unfortunately things have been put on hold for a month or so while getting halloween projects finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Peck View Post
    I looked at the McEwen website. They appear to be a wholesale sales outfit. Do they sell small quantities retail?
    They are a wholesale distributor. Most lumber distributors will sell to individuals if you walk in with cash in hand and a truck to haul the lumber away. They will charge a retail mark-up though. If they won't sell directly to you, they will give you the name of a retailer who can order what you want from them.

In a market like marine plywood there aren't many retail outlets scattered around, although there are a few. Retailers are likely to be boatbuilders. McEwen will sell to individuals if you approach them knowing what you want, can haul it away and don't cause to much bother.
    Tom L

I guess I could have my wife buy it wholesale through her business and the buy it from the shop after tax.

Atlantic Veneer Corp.

Exporter
    PO Box 660, Beaufort, NC28516, United States
    (252)728-3169, (252)728-4906 fax,

I've used them quite a bit when I was living in Beaufort. They make Teak ply there amoung other species. Not sure if it's marine grade though.

Atlantic Veneer makes plywood that is used by Hatteras and I have used some once on a dinghy. Trouble is, it has a very thin surface layer, although it is slice cut and usually very pretty. Used on interiors, it's fine but I would not use it for a hull. I don't think you can have it shipped in small quantity anyway. They do have a retail outlet there.
    Tom L

I drove to Charleston SC for my okoume plywood. I don't recall the name of the company but they're on the waterfront and cater to the repair yards in the area. Google marine plywood, Charleston SC and you should be able to find them.
    Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."