Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: 1948 Taylor cabin cruiser

Default Re: 1948 Taylor cabin cruiser

I don't mind surrendering the title in this case, I'm justs glad there is anotehr Taylor alive out there somewhere. I'm in Eastern Ontario btw. Where ya at Bye? [ a little newfie humour there ]

I have no documentation for my boat either.. (

It was a great pleasure watching the launch movies, and I called my wife in because I knew she would enjoy the period stuff. The men all in ties, not to mention blazers and captain's hats, women in full dress, smoking cigarettes and saluting each other. DELIGHTFUL! And then there are the boats.

I often wonder what it must have been like to commission one, make the progress payments and finally, after all the decisions and discussions, waiting and anticipation, arrive with the family and a bottle of champagne to see her down the ways. The film even reminds us to bring a bottle with thin glass walls!

Thank you Cris. We loved it! (Jealous that we we don't have some movies of Rita sliding in although we do have a couple of stills.)

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

panmanb
    Welcome! This is the start of a nice little J.J. Taylor club - we might indeed have to start the marque club right here. Tell us more about your boat, where you keep her, etc. I am very eager to see pictures!

Lew
    I've watched the footage of my boat and Nick (Tinman's) a bunch of times, but the most charming part is that 12 year old girl in pigtails, captain's hat and daddy's jacket trying to break the bottle! You can tell I have daughters?

Cris. I watched that several times. She takes 5 swipes at it and never manages to do the deed. Since it was my boat she was trying to christen, I'll let my 13 year old daughter try again when we re commission her. I have 5 daughters btw, and 3 boys. Surely one of them can break that bottle. )

omg that was the cutest thing I counted too . I called my wife in to watch and we both got a kick . I tried for a couple hrs to figure how to post pics here but I just cant figure it out im on yahoo360 and I have a yahoo email address that you can see pics of her . my email address is panmanb@yahoo.com come and visit me and give me your email and I will send pics there . I had a shipwright look her over and he told me to get her into the water he didnt see anything too bad and never saw a taylor b4 . He told me to ck out my shaft log and to remove one plank to see why it bulged out then refasten it . behind the plank is where the floor meets the hull and the cover was leaking for a couple yrs water used to sit there when it froze in winter.Then when it would thaw is when i think it did the dammage , and pushed the plank out a bit .now that ive stopped the rain water from comming into the boat It seems to have gone back into place but in spring im gonna remove it and ck it out . also a couple fasteners in the transome are steel or iron rather than bronze and I should replace them . " I would rather spend the rest of my life sanding scraping and painting every day all day on my boat then to go to work no matter what the job.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Lew
    I've watched the footage of my boat and Nick (Tinman's) a bunch of times, but the most charming part is that 12 year old girl in pigtails, captain's hat and daddy's jacket trying to break the bottle! You can tell I have daughters?
    Imagine you had that way-back machine and could have been there! Even as she walks up to the cutwater you would be tempted to take bets on her willingness and ability to break the bottle. It is a priceless, classic scene. I equally enjoyed Mom breaking the bottle with elan, then, proper as she looked, trying to decide what to do with the detritus, finally returning because the idea of leaving a broken bottle there on the ground just wasn't right. It was a chuckle, and an insight into her dignity and beauty. A really sweet moment. I'm sure my mother would have reacted exactly the same way, launching a boat named after her.

Quote Originally Posted by panmanb View Post
    I would rather spend the rest of my life sanding scraping and painting every day all day on my boat then to go to work no matter what the job.
    After almost 15 years of thinking like this, I can assure you that you will need your day job. Sorry for the splash of reality here!

Next! panmanb's lovely 30' 1949 J.J. Taylor

And a few more shots of panmanb's boat

She looks to be in pretty good structural shape. Refinishing the exterior brightwork, and maybe a little attention to the foredeck port side, and she'll be a showstopper!

More video...looking for the boat names at launch, googling a bit, and finding great stuff.

J.J. Taylor & Sons also built sailboats. Here is launch of Buzzy III, a 6 Meter Sparkman & Stephens design, from 1956.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md-Ggo7DIf4

Bright salmon hull and white antifouling. Won many races, now in Seattle.

At launch:

Repairs at Jespersons in Sidney BC, about 2000, to return her to original configuration.

Relaunched

Her story is here: http://www.6mrnorthamerica.com/buzzy3.html
    Last edited by C. Ross; 12-13-2008 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Rob getting it right.

Jesperson's in Seattle? Or Jesperson's in Sidney BC?

I know Bent had a shop in Sidney, in behind McKinnon Marine and I'm 99.9999% sure that's it . And I recognize those ways as being McKinnon's ways (I used to make $$ down there scrubbing boats and later, using a tow truck to re and re marine engines).

The ways are now owned by Van Isle Marina and I don't believe they're used anymore.

You're quite right Rob. Brent Jesperson Boat Builders in Sidney is the citation in the article. The boat's owner is/was in Seattle, so my bad.

Panman's boat is in better shape than mine is. It is gorgeous. What is it about Taylors that make them so appealing? I'm not into sail boats at all, but that one you posted Cris is simply drop dead gorgeous.

First thanks C. Ross for posting pics of my boat and next for the encouraging remarks . I drove past this boat in the marina for 3 yrs before I enquired about it to find that it had been sitting unattended for 5. luckily the big blue tarp had lasted long enough to keep her relatively dry and protected . Due to the fact that it has no top I realy could use some instruction on building one if there are any plans or books on this subject . ive been told that she had one but alas no pics d@-m.

in the first pic of my boat does anyone know just what hardware belongs at the bow . If so would you please take close up pics for me to see . thanks doug

Doug
    From the pictures, it looks like there is a bit of old canvas and snaps right at the top of the windscreen, and there are little chromed fittings along the windscreen sides. It might have had some kind of convertible top, either originally or added later.

Here are three boats on the Taylor films that you might look at

One is of Smoothy, which looks a little like your boat, and if you play the video all the way to the end you'll see a convertible canvas top that might be a model. If I were you, this might be the design I'd imitate. Cheapest, most flexible, and fits with the style of your boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo-lOqXYtYs

The second is in the RCMP patrol boat clip I posted earlier. Not the boats you see at first, but the fast patrol boats at the end with canvas tops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyyzw...e=channel_page

The third is Mardon V, which has a hardtop and was probably built a couple of years after yours. Still, a nice look if you want a hardtop. Plus, it's fun to watch him try out spinning the boat on his twin engines!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67TkT3pafJY

If you want a canvas top, should be easy for any marine canvas guy to build something suitable. I don't have great ideas for plans for a hardtop.

I recall a thread here where someone replaced a cabintop, I seem to recall on an Elco. It had lots of nice construction details. Can anyone else remember? If not, if you search the forum with keywords like "cabin top" you get lots of interesting threads. Many of them are sailboat cabins, but the general idea about design and construction are the same.

Bow hardware? This is mine, and many of the launch films have exactly this fixture. It's a single unit bowlight and chocks. The picture from the rear is pretty bad, but it gives you an idea of the teardrop shape. You can find similar fittings on ebay.

Last edited by C. Ross; 12-14-2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: One more boat to look at

wow thanks a lot thats almost what I thought was there but didnt know the bow light was integral or clear . thanks again . love the movies . I know now what goes on the bow too a horn I dont have and a mast . Owner b 4 me says he has hardware but Im not holding my breath .

Oh I almost forgot , the snaps that u see are part of a mooring cover that was on it .They go all the way around the boat .

still tryin to post all pics Ill get it .

We still don't know where this boat is, ... ??

It's a surprise, but a great one, to see the Jespersens mentioned in connection with this thread.

More commentary on the Jespersens; Bent and Janni bring their conversion San Mateo to Victoria every year, where Bent is one of the judges. If there are better people in the wooden boat world, I don't know who they might be. Every year after the awards dinner, we are privileged to sit with the Jespersens on their boat or ours and discuss the year just passed. It's become a tradition and a highlight of our attendance at Victoria. Jannie has shared her memories of war time Holland with us, and she is an absolutely amazing woman. Bent is a tremendous resource for anybody with a need to fix a wooden boat, and despite the traditional approach to craftsmanship the Jespersen yard is known for, Bent is completely up to speed on all modern technologies and applications.

Bent has been retired for a few years and his son, Eric, now runs the yard. I have never met Eric, but he is a frequent "member" (is that what you call an Olympian?) of Canada's Olympic sailing team, and has won Olympic medals as well. As a bonus this summer, we heard all sorts of interesting reports about the sailing in China this year from Bent.

Anyone attending Victoria next year should look Bent and Jannie up, and if we're there, and you're there on Sunday night together, should join us for a remarkable evening of conversation and tall tale telling.

There is a distinct groupie pleasure to be had when rubbing shoulders and elbows with the luminaries of our little world, and I'd be the last person to deny myself of them on the rare occasion I might have to enjoy the opportunity. I say if you're gonna be a groupie, you might as well start at the top. And in my mind, that's where the Jespersens reside. Just great people. A boat turned out by their yard will be one to cherish. Thanks for the links, Cris. By the by, Eric has his own 6 meter boat, or did a year or two ago when he displayed it at the show. I'll root around for the pictures I took of it.

Great stories Lew!

BTW, Buzzy III, the 6 meter built by J.J. Taylor and restored by Jespersen is for sale. http://uk.yachtworld.com/core/listin...&access=Public

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Criss.

I wonder if you would like to see some footage of your boat the "Pixie k" being launched back in '48? I have received two cd's with the launch of both yours and mine going through sea trials in Toronto harbour side by side. They are right out of the show room, and look fantastic at speed. Let me know if you would like a copy, and I'll burn a set of dvd's for you. It's been amazing watching, a thrill for sure.
    This is just brilliant

"I found the thing you have dreamt about every night for the last 10 years. Found it in the back of my garage. I will drop off next time im in your neighbour hood."

Chris must have fallen out of his chair reading that.

I know how excited I have got hearing from each person who has helped piece together the history of my boat.

Two weeks ago I recieved an unexpected email from a previous owner telling me it was built for Ray Milland the hollywood actor and oscar winner. Talk about surprised!
    Aloof..

tinman my boat is in connecticut usa brewers ferry point marina old saybrook ct . her name is novelty . built as a wedding gift . had a top on it but now is convertable . any info would be appreciated . pics posted in previous thread. U can email me at panmanb@yahoo.com thanks doug . pics were p[osted by chrisross

It seems I am teh geographical middle man here. Cris is in Minnisota, and I am in Eastern Ontario not far from the Ottawa river. Do you have a hull number? mine is 190026 and cris's boat is 190030. It would be interesting to see how close they are from that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyer View Post
    This is just brilliant

"I found the thing you have dreamt about every night for the last 10 years. Found it in the back of my garage. I will drop off next time im in your neighbour hood."

I know how excited I have got hearing from each person who has helped piece together the history of my boat.

Two weeks ago I recieved an unexpected email from a previous owner telling me it was built for Ray Milland the hollywood actor and oscar winner. Talk about surprised!
    Nothing like having a common interest and being able to help out like that. It's surprises like the ones we are discussing that make owning something like these old boats so rewarding.

no hull number or any markings at all darn . but im trying to get a hold of the previous owner cause he may have taken the placq off that is above the stairs to the cabin . The one that is currently there is unmarked . "Double darn .

Oh yeah. My wife is dismayed because no Christmas present will match the DVDs I got from Nick (Tinman) -- known in our household as St. Nick. dreyer, post more about your boat, it sounds really interesting.

Doug - for hull number have you looked in the engine compartment for a number carved into one of the deck beams?

Trust me Cris. I am a very long way from sainthood, but thanks anyway. )

Doug it should be on the after cross member somewhere. litteraly hand carved into the wood.

next time im down there I will she is wrapped for the winter but I have access to her . thanks

While im here , does anyone have the proper bow light and integral rope chocks for my boat for sale ? cant find on ebay . thanks doug panmanb@yahoo.com email me for phone .

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    dreyer, post more about your boat, it sounds really interesting.

My boat.... is too far away! And a sailboat which may not be so interesting to you I have been in Europe since last february & she is in San Diego. The team at Traditional Boat Works is slowly chipping away on her planking as my budget allows. I replaced frames and floors while I was there and look forward to having 3 weeks working on her in January when I take leave from work. Its going to be a long road to having her sailing but I get so much pleasure from the restoration & finding out about her history that its no problem.

"Therapy" (ex Witch, Aquarius Too) is a Phil Rhodes One design racer known as a Rhodes 33. Designed in 1938 & very similar to an IOD. 33'8" x 6'10" x 4'5". Narrow and low with a fractional sloop rig. She is built in 1946 (number 34 of 46) and has had a hard life racing in southern California. There are two I know of that are sailing and 3 in restoration.

I rescued her from in front of the sawzall and well and truly manifested my love of sleek & racy wooden boats.

I will post some pics on arrival in San Diego.
    Aloof..

I found a few more pictures of the Laura Anne after we got her home and blocked up. Thought I would take a break fromthe cut, parry and thrust of the bilge and post a few of them here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3451386...n/photostream/

You gotta come up for air, man.

She is lovely! But she deserves some right proper boat stands, for safety's sake if nothing else. Here's an old thread with various ideas http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5978

Gasp!!! I think you are right, but believe me when I tell you she is much more secure than she appears. { My lovely wife saw to that } But it is good advice and will be acted upon.

Do ou remember the 8mm footage of the fairmile doing workups in the great lakes? They are rebuilding one in Sarnia to it's World war to configuration. It is the last one in the world that can be restored like this. There are only two others and the are not suitable for conversion. There is a website that shows a little bit of detail about what kind of shape she is in now, and what has been done so far, but there is a long way to go yet. Now of course, I am in there like a dirty shirt, trying to organize a big ticket black tie affair at the national war museum here in Ottawa to help raise money for the re build. If you want too, you can have a look at

http://www.fairmileq105.org/

It is a worthy project and I am going to do what I can to help get it ready for the Canadian Navy centennial in May of 2010.

Interesting site and a very worthy project. Well done!

I'll post the Fairmile construction and sea trials part of the film sometime over the next couple of days. (The depth charge and 20 mm cannon test on Lake Ontario is pretty amazing, as you wrote before ....)

BTW, you can probably buy some used jack stands from a local boatyard in the spring, after launching season. You might have to repair a pad or something, but they'd be cheaper that way.

Good idea Chris, I have a few in mind that may be "persuaded" to trade a little white cedar for some jack stands.

Simply loving this give and take...

can't wait to see more of all of them as they are restored.

Congrats too all.

Nick, I do have a sneaky suspicion however, that based on almost EVERYONE'S experience with these restores...that little bit of water can turn into a huge mess, go slow and don't be afraid to really pull some boards off to make sure now before you go through the expense to "detail" it out. Those chine logs would make me a bit leary per your description.

One more tidbit, Cris mentioned some very sound advice on wire types and sizes, just be sure to use strand, not solid, tinned is worth the extra expense too. Nigel's book was wonderful. Dense is a word I would use to describe it too, but once you mull it 6-7 times you understand what he is saying. Sounds like your professional background will help too.

MORE PICS!!!! thanks....

Eric. Excellent advice. I would rather delay her recommissioning and do it right, than to rush it and regret it. I am expecting to have to gut the foc'sle and even lift the decking forward the wheel house to make sure it is well and truly watertight. I know boats are designed to get wet but,....

Once I get rolling in the springtime, I will likely be doing alot of pestering and asking questions. there is no doubt in my mind that on this topic, I am an unranked amature.

Hi guys, you will need to size your wiring for the overcurrent protection and circuits for load served,dont load your circuits to more then 80%.I wired in a small panel for my schooner and utilized the arc fault ( not GFCI) circuit breakers for my 120vac...Also VERY INPORTANT,for your DC taps from the battery use a overcurrent device,AT THE BATTERY,they are readilly available,remember that the wire from the battery must be proteted,a line to ground fault will call all the batteries amperage to be released in 1/120th of a second just like a capacitor that has been shunted...that wire will glow white hot .........I also use "smurf tubing" as a chase ,it is listed and rated ( ANSI & UL ) for line voltage,flexible,and ridged enough for you to not to damage the conductors from vibration,pinching ect..leave a pull string in it for future pulls,AND remember to derate your wirings ampherage rating for the number of current carring conductors in a chase over 24" ( heat causes your wires to be less conductive ) If you have any electrical questions shoot them this way......James

James, based on your post, and how much of it I understood, you can bet I will be shooting you ALOT of questions when the time comes.

are u gonna keep the same name Laura Anne

I was thinking the same thing Tinman...wow James, that was a keyboard full...

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by panmanb View Post
    are u gonna keep the same name Laura Anne
    Yes. The boat is named after my late sister who was killed in an auto accident along with her 11 year old son. She was 32. So I can't think of a better way to commemorate her. Rebuild a classy lady, to remember a classy lady. Works for me.

I found this Taylor and thought you might like like a look.

http://www.ladyben.com/SearchResults...?VesselID=2765

Sweet, Nick!

Ad says "Misil V was the last and largest built by this famous canadian builder. Her sistership was lost in a fire making her one of a kind. She's in exceptional shape and has been well maintained by her present and past owners. An extensive restoration was completed in 2003/04 Originality has been well maintained."

So this is the last of J.J. Taylor's wood boats, but they converted to fiberglass and made Contessa 26's up through the 1980's. http://co26.com/about/

Here's another J.J. Taylor for sale, in Minnesota.

Two years ago a well-known boat dealer around here, Todd Warner, came aboard my boat and said he'd be the only guy I'd ever meet who also owned a J.J. Taylor boat. (Well, he was wrong about that, anyway.)

Two weeks ago at Upper Mississippi EBS Andreas told me this boat was for sale.

A police launch, built in 1951. http://www.mahoganybay.net/boat/100155.aspx?filter=11 Nick, the videos you sent me has the launch of this boat or one identical to it! I'm travelling this week but will post matching video when I get home.

Is that the one that we heard from... crud... Andreas' friend... Anyway, he said it sank at the dock? Could that be right?

Brad. Yes, but I didn't hear any other details about when, where, etc.

"This all original classic needs a restoration but the hull is structurally sound."

1951 34' Canadian Builders Launch
    Configuration: Launch
    Country of Manufacture: Canada
    Hull Material:
    Method of Construction:
    Engine: Chrysler
    Price Range: $75,001 - $125,000

This is a vessel not a boat, weighing in at almost 4 tons. This 34’ piece of Canadian history has roots back to the early 20’s. The Toronto Harbour Patrol #6 was built by J.J. Taylor and Sons in Toronto in 1951. This is a boat of substance, in any weather she is in command. Powered by a 440 Chrysler V-8, 330 HP. There is an upholstered aft seat and room for benches and chairs in the cockpit. The forward cockpit has a V-splash rail. This was a work boat that originally carried a rescue dingy aft. The command of a vessel of this design is unique in it’s ride and presence. This all original classic needs a restoration but the hull is structurally sound. This is a unique opportunity to own a significant part of the Canadian boating heritage.
    Last edited by C. Ross; 02-06-2009 at 01:35 AM.