Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1948 Taylor cabin cruiser

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Default Re: 1948 Taylor cabin cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    They show a fairmile on sea trials firing her 20 mm cannon, and dropping a depth charge, in Lake Ontario! Can you imagine the fuss that would cause today??
    Live ammo and a picnic cruise. What could be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    There are even a few glimpses of the old man himself on the second cd. If i thought there where enough "Taylors" still alive, I'd start a club.
    There are 7 listed in the 2008 Antique and Classic Boat Society directory. The listing doesn't include yours, and a few others in this thread, so we gotta be at about 10.

We'll never know how many there are until we start the club!

You may want to inspect the exhaust manifolds if the boat has been idle for a considerable time. They seem to rust through faster when sitting empty/dry rather than when run frequently.

I'm following this thread.I love old things especially historical things.I like that you guys are saving some history.Not many woodies left around,especial down here in the southeastern US.

I gotta agree with Cris. Live ammo and a BBQ would be tough to beat. A taylor club wouldbe way to cool too. The more I learn about Taylor and the men who worked for him, the more respect I have not only for his boat I have been blessed to aquire, but for the man himself. I am an amature historian specializing in the area of Canadian military history, and it is a thrill to know that the men who built this boat, are also responsible for helping in some small way, to meet the greatest challenge the world has ever known. [ I'm being melodramatic I know, but is just me. ]
    ----------------------------

I will check the exhaust headers. They seem fine, but who knows what evil lurks in there?

One more thing I forgot to mention. I sent a note to Geoff Taylor thanking him fo the dvd's, and was felt bold enough to ask him about the possiblity of aquiring the original blueprints for our boats. He responded today saying he wasn't sure if they where available, but he would look. Now that would be cool..

Here is Tinman's boat, Laura Ann. (Lousy image, captured from video.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_vpMz1C2oQ

The video shows the launch and sea trials of three boats:

1. Tinman's now-Laura Ann (blue cabin tops)
    2. Lady Alva (identical to my boat, aft cabin and green cabin tops)
    3. Pixie-K, now my Lady Cliff, in the last 20 seconds or so.

It is a great joy to see launch films of your own boat sixty summers ago.

Thanks to Tinman, and Geoff Taylor!

Tinman, nice boat
    just one question,you mentioned the bad fuel but didn't mention what your tanks were made of.If they are steel I would get them pressure tested for safety's sake it is cheap and easy and could save your life or those of your crew.sounds like you got a handful but if you have to change or repair the tanks better to know soon!
    "Rise Again Majestic Spirit"

Thumbs up Re: 1948 Taylor cabin cruiser

WOW ! That video is awesome.

Only on the WBF could you see something like this thread.

Keep posting pics of both boats, we are waiting for more.

MK

That's a great vid.Are those hulls semi displacement or fast displacment?They cut the water good.

I'd say fast displacement.

But here's some RCMP patrol boats that really get up and go...same yard, about the same year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyyzwUqlruE

Those movies are the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I'd say fast displacement.
    I´d only heard of semi-displacement.

Could you please expand on fast displacement ?

What are the (design) cruising and top speeds for your - and tinman´s - boat ?

Any data for fuel consumption at these speeds ?

Thanks

Well, for a real answer you'll need mmd or one of the other ship designers on this forum to weigh in...

I think of powerboats as displacement or planing, and some sailboats as semi-displacement (because they would plane if they had enough sail power).

Hull speed is 1.5 times the square root of the hull length for a displacement boat, right? Ours are 36 feet, so a moderate-sized power plant could theoretically drive the boat to 6 x 1.5 = 9 knots. Comfortable cruising speed is indeed 8 - 9 knots on mine, at about 1700 RPM, and I use about 7 gallons per hour at that rate.

I have pushed the engines only to 2800 RPM and can get 12 knots, and use about 10-12 gallons per hour at that rate.

Tinman's hull is the same shape and length, and his displacement is the same as mine, so I imagine the performance will be similar.

A friend at the club who is a great mechanic on old engines insists I can push the engines to 3800 RPM which might get me to 16 knots. The old movies make it look like they might be making that rate, or maybe better. Something to try next summer, with a mechanic on board!

Thanks, C.Ross.

Mine is a 34-foot Scandinavian-design built in Brazil in ´62.

Prior to embarking on a bow-to-stern refurbishment project in August 2004, the cruising and top-end speeds were in the region of 8-9 knots/ 1800 rpm (cruising) and 12-13 knots / 2200 rpm (top-end) respectively.

The original ChrisCraft V-8´s (2 x 175 HP) were replaced with a pair of (roughly equivalent) 4-cylinder turbo-diesels (2600 rpm max).

Fuel consumption is a modest 5-6 gallons / hour at crusing speed (1800 RPM), but considerably higher at 2200 rpm.

I suspect the catch is......'The old movies make it look like they might be making that rate, or maybe better ' ....as per your last post

Sounds like the same laws of physics apply in Brazil as the US!

Clearly you get much better consumption per hour with turbo diesel than I do with gasoline. Perhaps someday I will upgrade for economy, safety and quiet...

I wonder where those boats are now?
    "Rise Again Majestic Spirit"

Quote Originally Posted by glennmajestic View Post
    Tinman, nice boat
    just one question,you mentioned the bad fuel but didn't mention what your tanks were made of.If they are steel I would get them pressure tested for safety's sake it is cheap and easy and could save your life or those of your crew.sounds like you got a handful but if you have to change or repair the tanks better to know soon!
    Good advice! They are made of galvanized steel, and so far I have noticed no sign of leaking or corrosion, but better safe than sorry. I still can't get the fuel caps off, but I'll conquer that this spring it is after all, 10 f outside as I write this and going colder tonight. When I sat and watched that video the first time, I got goose bumps.
    ----------------------------------------

Now I find out that one of the last survivng Fairmiles built in Canada during world war two has been lifted out and will be refurbished to it's WW2 configuration in Sarnia. Hopefully in time for the Canadian Navy Centennial in Halifax in May of 2010. There is only one other still alive that has been converted to a pleasure yacht and is in the Med where it has been since the end of the war. So this is the last of a incredible chapter of our history. To read more about them, I highly recommend reading "Champagne Navy" Canada's small boats of world war two. To say it is an amazing tale of heroism and seamanship is a huge understatement. My favorite story from the book, is when a gorup of MTB's came upon a few survivors of two foundered U boats, and ended up "recruiting" the subs cook. A Nazi in the morning, and able seaman Macarthur by lunch time. What a story.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    ....Clearly you get much better consumption per hour with turbo diesel than I do with gasoline. Perhaps someday I will upgrade for economy, safety and quiet...
    Yes, lower consumption, specially as diesel in Brazil is 70% the price of petrol !

The petrol-to-diesel swap was spurred by :

1. The task of sizing up the parts required for rebuilding the raw-water-cooled CC V-8´s operating in salt water ;
    2. Importing the above parts;
    3. The potential fire/explosion hazard with petrol engines;
    4. Operational economy with diesels

Are diesels less noisier than petrol engines ? Not sure !

In meticuluosly planned setups, engines are encased within acoustic enclosures. In addition, drive-shaft components and engine mounts are likewise custom tailored.

The Diesels, as Cecil knows, keep getting better. If I were repowering today, I'd probably have no choice but to use common rail electronic motors. Those run quite as efficiently as is possible at this state of the art, and I hear they are quieter too, since the fuel is so precisely metered that a great deal of the rattle is gone with them.

I could get into how to keep an engine room quiet. It's a long, tedious discussion we've had before.

I have some questions about the fuel manifold and filtering set up in Tinman's photos. They're just questions based on my experience. Shall I fire?

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    I´d only heard of semi-displacement.

Could you please expand on fast displacement ?

What are the (design) cruising and top speeds for your - and tinman´s - boat ?

Any data for fuel consumption at these speeds ?

Thanks
    There is no such thing as a semi-displacement hull, or a fast-displacement hull. A hull that eventually lifts out of the water and thus reduces its surface area is a planing hull. A planing hull that is underpowered, and never quite gets to where it actually planes, could , i suppose, be called a semi- or fast-displacement hull. A displacement never creates lift. An extremely narrow hull, such as a catamaran, can have a high coefficient number when calculating waterline hull speed, or it can plane. Either situation causes the usual hull speed limitation to more or less disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    I have some questions about the fuel manifold and filtering set up in Tinman's photos. They're just questions based on my experience. Shall I fire?
    By all means. The setup in mine is the same, so fire away!

I know I'm the least experienced amongst the crowd here, but one of the things I like about how things are set up in my boat, is the water/dirt pocket that catches sediment well below the feedline to the fuel filters. We had similar set ups in the Navy, and it seemed to have a very positive effect on filter life. I intend to leave that aspect of the fuel system alone. Is this unique to this craft? or is it common amongst cruisers of this size/type?

Keeping water and dirt out of the fuel is if anything even more critical for Diesels. My question(s) have been building along with the thread.

First question is if it's very important (or not) to keep something like the fuel lines and fuel plumbing/manifold in original spec, especially if the boat's been re-powered. See where this is going? if not, why not do away with the gate valves and go to a real manifold, replacing the valves with something a bit more up to date like these, since they and the existing fuel lines, look quite ancient. Replacing all that plumbing with a nice new set up and new line (and checking the tanks as has been suggested) seems like a very worthwhile first step. You will of course, remember my experience at Todd Inlet. If not I can direct you to the article, which has taken something like 100,000 hits!

I have a thing about "original." Original is nice when it's been thoroughly rebuilt and tested, and the user is a purist or a luddite, but for most people I believe that for a cruising boat, some systems are better off as thoroughly modern. Keep the original part of a cruising boat for the cosmetics and the interesting stuff that shows. I prefer to have some modern concessions to practicality in a boat intended to be ridden hard. Others may disagree, and prefer the charm that comes with old style systems, but for me, they're not as charming in the fuel manifold and places of that nature.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 12-08-2008 at 12:01 AM.

Lew. You make some valid points. I guess the point I was making, was that having a drop pocket built in to even a modernized system makes a lot of sense to me. The bottom line is that the boat is meant for using, not fixing. So what ever can be reasonably done to make floating along at a liesurely pace with good cuban cigar in one hand and a small galss of Grand merinier in the other, is a good thing. After all, that is what boating is supposed to be about in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Tinman; 12-08-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling

hey guys , Im new to the forum but Im glad I found ya . guess what ................... Ive got a taylor too. You cant believe how happy I am to find another . I was told it was one of a kind . but I guess its about one of 3 or four lol . ive got pics but they are not good cause its on drydock and other boats near it . but I will try to post them . Ive got a question if anyone would like to try to answer it . Are there any documents about different models cause mine seems to be some sort of a convertable or someone took off the top which I would like to put back on . ck out the pics and lets talk , thanks doug in ct .

Quote Originally Posted by panmanb View Post
    hey guys , Im new to the forum but Im glad I found ya . guess what ................... Ive got a taylor too. You cant believe how happy I am to find another . I was told it was one of a kind . but I guess its about one of 3 or four lol . ive got pics but they are not good cause its on drydock and other boats near it . but I will try to post them . Ive got a question if anyone would like to try to answer it . Are there any documents about different models cause mine seems to be some sort of a convertable or someone took off the top which I would like to put back on . ck out the pics and lets talk , thanks doug in ct .
    This post is useless without pictures!!!

trying to post pics b patient thanks , doug

Quote Originally Posted by panmanb View Post
    Hey! right on! welcome to the club. Can you give us dimensions, year of manufacture, engine layout etc? Where are you and your boat??

thanks for the welcome the beam is 9.5 ft length is 30 ft exactly yr of manufacture is 1949 engine was ...... unfortunately unsalvagable but a chrysler crown 100 hp

so I inturn put in a merc 6 cyl 165 . oh it was just the single screw . So tinman you are not the newby anymore its me , panman and " novelty"

I don't mind surrendering the title in this case, I'm justs glad there is anotehr Taylor alive out there somewhere. I'm in Eastern Ontario btw. Where ya at Bye? [ a little newfie humour there ]

I have no documentation for my boat either.. (

It was a great pleasure watching the launch movies, and I called my wife in because I knew she would enjoy the period stuff. The men all in ties, not to mention blazers and captain's hats, women in full dress, smoking cigarettes and saluting each other. DELIGHTFUL! And then there are the boats.

I often wonder what it must have been like to commission one, make the progress payments and finally, after all the decisions and discussions, waiting and anticipation, arrive with the family and a bottle of champagne to see her down the ways. The film even reminds us to bring a bottle with thin glass walls!

Thank you Cris. We loved it! (Jealous that we we don't have some movies of Rita sliding in although we do have a couple of stills.)

panmanb
    Welcome! This is the start of a nice little J.J. Taylor club - we might indeed have to start the marque club right here. Tell us more about your boat, where you keep her, etc. I am very eager to see pictures!

Lew
    I've watched the footage of my boat and Nick (Tinman's) a bunch of times, but the most charming part is that 12 year old girl in pigtails, captain's hat and daddy's jacket trying to break the bottle! You can tell I have daughters?

Cris. I watched that several times. She takes 5 swipes at it and never manages to do the deed. Since it was my boat she was trying to christen, I'll let my 13 year old daughter try again when we re commission her. I have 5 daughters btw, and 3 boys. Surely one of them can break that bottle. )