X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C. Ross
    • May 2007

Re: 1948 Taylor cabin cruisebr />
    Great stories Lew!

BTW, Buzzy III, the 6 meter built by J.J. Taylor and restored by Jespersen is for sale. http://uk.yachtworld.com/core/listin...&access=Public

Comment

• dreyer
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Tinman
      Criss.

I wonder if you would like to see some footage of your boat the "Pixie k" being launched back in '48? I have received two cd's with the launch of both yours and mine going through sea trials in Toronto harbour side by side. They are right out of the show room, and look fantastic at speed. Let me know if you would like a copy, and I'll burn a set of dvd's for you. It's been amazing watching, a thrill for sure.
      This is just brilliant

"I found the thing you have dreamt about every night for the last 10 years. Found it in the back of my garage. I will drop off next time im in your neighbour hood."

Chris must have fallen out of his chair reading that.

I know how excited I have got hearing from each person who has helped piece together the history of my boat.

Two weeks ago I recieved an unexpected email from a previous owner telling me it was built for Ray Milland the hollywood actor and oscar winner. Talk about surprised!
      Aloof..

Comment

• panmanb
        • Dec 2008

tinman my boat is in connecticut usa brewers ferry point marina old saybrook ct . her name is novelty . built as a wedding gift . had a top on it but now is convertable . any info would be appreciated . pics posted in previous thread. U can email me at [email protected] thanks doug . pics were p[osted by chrisross

Comment

• Tinman
          • Sep 2008

It seems I am teh geographical middle man here. Cris is in Minnisota, and I am in Eastern Ontario not far from the Ottawa river. Do you have a hull number? mine is 190026 and cris's boat is 190030. It would be interesting to see how close they are from that regard.

Comment

• Tinman
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by dreyer
            This is just brilliant

"I found the thing you have dreamt about every night for the last 10 years. Found it in the back of my garage. I will drop off next time im in your neighbour hood."

I know how excited I have got hearing from each person who has helped piece together the history of my boat.

Two weeks ago I recieved an unexpected email from a previous owner telling me it was built for Ray Milland the hollywood actor and oscar winner. Talk about surprised!
            Nothing like having a common interest and being able to help out like that. It's surprises like the ones we are discussing that make owning something like these old boats so rewarding.

Comment

• panmanb
              • Dec 2008

no hull number or any markings at all darn . but im trying to get a hold of the previous owner cause he may have taken the placq off that is above the stairs to the cabin . The one that is currently there is unmarked . "Double darn .

Comment

• C. Ross
                • May 2007

Oh yeah. My wife is dismayed because no Christmas present will match the DVDs I got from Nick (Tinman) -- known in our household as St. Nick. dreyer, post more about your boat, it sounds really interesting.

Doug - for hull number have you looked in the engine compartment for a number carved into one of the deck beams?

Comment

• Tinman
                  • Sep 2008

Trust me Cris. I am a very long way from sainthood, but thanks anyway. )

Doug it should be on the after cross member somewhere. litteraly hand carved into the wood.

Comment

• panmanb
                    • Dec 2008

next time im down there I will she is wrapped for the winter but I have access to her . thanks

Comment

• panmanb
                      • Dec 2008

While im here , does anyone have the proper bow light and integral rope chocks for my boat for sale ? cant find on ebay . thanks doug [email protected] email me for phone .

Comment

• dreyer
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by C. Ross
                        dreyer, post more about your boat, it sounds really interesting.

My boat.... is too far away! And a sailboat which may not be so interesting to you I have been in Europe since last february & she is in San Diego. The team at Traditional Boat Works is slowly chipping away on her planking as my budget allows. I replaced frames and floors while I was there and look forward to having 3 weeks working on her in January when I take leave from work. Its going to be a long road to having her sailing but I get so much pleasure from the restoration & finding out about her history that its no problem.

"Therapy" (ex Witch, Aquarius Too) is a Phil Rhodes One design racer known as a Rhodes 33. Designed in 1938 & very similar to an IOD. 33'8" x 6'10" x 4'5". Narrow and low with a fractional sloop rig. She is built in 1946 (number 34 of 46) and has had a hard life racing in southern California. There are two I know of that are sailing and 3 in restoration.

I rescued her from in front of the sawzall and well and truly manifested my love of sleek & racy wooden boats.

I will post some pics on arrival in San Diego.
                        Aloof..

Comment

• Tinman
                          • Sep 2008

I found a few more pictures of the Laura Anne after we got her home and blocked up. Thought I would take a break fromthe cut, parry and thrust of the bilge and post a few of them here.

Comment

• C. Ross
                            • May 2007

You gotta come up for air, man.

She is lovely! But she deserves some right proper boat stands, for safety's sake if nothing else. Here's an old thread with various ideas http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5978

Comment

• Tinman
                              • Sep 2008

Gasp!!! I think you are right, but believe me when I tell you she is much more secure than she appears. { My lovely wife saw to that } But it is good advice and will be acted upon.

Do ou remember the 8mm footage of the fairmile doing workups in the great lakes? They are rebuilding one in Sarnia to it's World war to configuration. It is the last one in the world that can be restored like this. There are only two others and the are not suitable for conversion. There is a website that shows a little bit of detail about what kind of shape she is in now, and what has been done so far, but there is a long way to go yet. Now of course, I am in there like a dirty shirt, trying to organize a big ticket black tie affair at the national war museum here in Ottawa to help raise money for the re build. If you want too, you can have a look at

It is a worthy project and I am going to do what I can to help get it ready for the Canadian Navy centennial in May of 2010.

Comment

• C. Ross
                                • May 2007

Interesting site and a very worthy project. Well done!

I'll post the Fairmile construction and sea trials part of the film sometime over the next couple of days. (The depth charge and 20 mm cannon test on Lake Ontario is pretty amazing, as you wrote before ....)

BTW, you can probably buy some used jack stands from a local boatyard in the spring, after launching season. You might have to repair a pad or something, but they'd be cheaper that way.

Comment

Working...