Thread: spinnaker halyard block placement

I'm finally installing a spinnaker halyard on my 30' Knarr. It's a fractional rig sloop. The spinnaker that came with the boat appears to be almost new, and it's very large. I can't see where an original halyard went, and the jib halyard isn't high enough. Any suggestions?

thanks
    mt

It might be a masthead kite.

The spi halyard block has to be above your forestay at least. The bag flies clear above everything. If you have running backstays then it might have been positioned around there [ the bag gives quite a pull and needs support aft on a run and sideways on a reach ]
    It helps if the block is on a swinging mount as the lead varies quite a lot.
    I find it helps to have the halyard coming down each side of the forestay with identical fittings each end to make off to the spi [I like Inglefield clips - quick and light] This allows either end to be the halyard head and the other the fall so letting you always hoist the bag to leeward without having to pass the halyard round the forestay if it was on the wrong side [and, sods law, it always seems to be on the wrong side ]
    If you measure a luff of the bag then the block could do with being at least that height above waterline so in a flattie the cloth doesn't drag in the water.
    Great fun, bags, well worth the effort in setting them up.
    Fair winds,
    Roger