Thread: Half built boat protection

Looks like I ain't going to get to work on my weekender for a little while and I need to protect it until I can.

It is at the stage where it is covered with epoxy but no glass. It is outside and turned upside down. It is under a 12x20 awning and I will cover with a blue poly-tarp.

Are there any other precautions I need to take?

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Don't know much about the weather in Chattanooga, but around here if'n I were to be away for a while I would arrange to tie it down so a big breeze doesn't get under it and move things about.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

The big concerns for our area are water damage, termites(!), and carpenter bees.

I'd wrap the boat in plastic and duct tape and block it well off the ground. For tarps, don't use the blue ones, they just don't last. The silver ones seem to hold up better.

I wish I knew what to do about those dang bees, though. On one of the boats I built, a bee bored a perfect 1/2" diameter hole right through the plywood. I got some satisfaction by whacking him into oblivion with a badmiton raquet.

Chad, I heard through the grapevine, John was looking for a small project to take on this spring.

I would spend a few extra bucks and have it professionaly shrink wrapped. Explain to the guy your going off to defend our country and you may be gone for a year or so, so do a good job and give me a military discount as well..

Good luck to you and God speed.

Thumbs down

I wouldn't seal it in plastic, If water gets trapped underneath, between the boat's epoxy surface and the plastic tarp, *(it will ruin the surface, may cause delamination, mildew stains,etc).
    Get the boat off the ground 1st! At lease a couple feet, support it with sawhorses, don't let the tarp your using to cover the hull, touch the hull*, suspend it above the hull by a few inches, then wrap it around.
    A unnamed relative of mine (older but not always wiser), wrapped his uncompleted boat in a blue poly-tarp, propped up on cinderblocks and 2x4's a foot or so off the ground. Come spring he unwrapped his boat to find moisture damage everywhere . Laminated frames decided to delaminate, blushing in the epoxy deck. Just a nightmare . Do it right the 1st time, and you could store the boat without damage for 100yrs.

Rick

Wink

How long are you goin' to be away? Up heah they say a blue tahp is good for five yeahs ... no questions asked!

Seriously, try to keep the sun and water off but it needs ventilation. Bees are not a problem around here unless you give them a little hole to start with. The weather will kill a boat faster than anything else.

Good Luck!
    Jim and Kim

I would make sure everything (both sides) is covered with epoxy.

I would rent indoor strorage space. use cloth sheets to keep the dust off.

No, no, no,......NO shrink rap, or plastic and duck tape. It'll just turn it into a green house in no time, and when you get bact to it, it'll be a mildew mess, if not worse. It needs ventilation. So,..... a ridge layed the length of the deck with open ends allowing air to ventilate and nothing more.

Bill