It's been a while. Pretty well got the prep work of lofting, mold construction, and head scratching finished in early March. The professional life took over and I spent the rest of March and all of April and May on various student projects. Two of which are shown below:
A 20' concrete canoe, and
A 22' x 28' timber framed pavilion at a local elementary school.
To pick up where I left off with the draketail construction in March, I have been working furiously since graduation on getting the keel and deadwood assembled and ready to set in the molds. Following are some pictures of the process.
Here's the keel blank with the pattern taken from the lofting
The first thing I did was drill the shaft hole as I could use the full width of the keel blank to better reference alignment of the bore. Starting from both ends, the operation was successful.
After drilling the shaft hole, I rough cut the rabbett to depth with a circular saw and finished up with a slick and hand plane. Pencil marks in the saw kerfs made it vewry easy to tell when I had planed to finished depth. The deadrise of the boat is fairly shallow, particularly at the stern. I'm leaving the final planing of the rabbet until I have the keel and chine logs both mounted in the molds. Than I'll finish the rolling bevels.