Page 76 of 265 FirstFirst ... 266675767786126176 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,660 of 9255

Thread: Just fore the fun of it:)

Default Re: Just fore the fun of it:)

Anyone want to carpool from the Left Coast?
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    Ah, dear Ryden, the photoshopmeister! Whatever have been dipping into to draw up such lewd associations,suggestions and bold images? Has the cold grip of winter begun to wrap itself around your gronicles thus inspiring such thoughts?
    Yes indeed, this morning I found my gronicles frozen to the ground. SWHMBO helped me out by applying warm moisture to them, and in in a relatively short time they where restored to their normal status.

Now, what I would really like to know Ryden, as politely as possible; what the blue balls blazes is a whippletree, do they grow here, would it have made a difference and why didn't you speak up earlier? Ya see...I had some dirty, evil and lewd thoughts just then but chomped down hard on my fingers so as to not type any of them! There is hope for me yet!!
    A whippletree, Oh Ye of Little Faith and Less Knowledge, is a vertical post of hardwood, kept well lubricated and studded with ridges.
    The purpose of the whippletree is to act as a support structure for the gronicles.

OR, it might be a wooden bar with three rings attached, one at each end and one in the middle, used to distribute the load while pulling f.e. by horses.

And since I'm not only the Photoshopmeister, but also the Visio-meister, I made a detailed plan to which we can apply our 20/20 hindsight.
    (Actually my hindsight needs corrective surgery, but thats neither here nor there)

The reason that I did not speak up earlier is that I get a big kick out of being a wise-ass, telling people what they ought to have done in a patronizing way.
    Plus, I was absent witout leave for purposes of Moose hunting (code word for drinking beer and whiskey and telling extremely tall tales by the fire)

On a slightly more serious note, its a TREAT to see her in the open!!!
    Now, if you just start making those sponsoons, there will be a launch any year now
    Last edited by Ryden; 10-19-2010 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Can't spell worth a dam...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Probably the greatest thread in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Probably the greatest post in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    -~: Roughshod Riding Rabble Rousing Rebel :~-
    Peer of The Most Ancient and Noble Order of the Lauging Polar Bear

Nice Fir tree! Strange, but evocative name for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    Anyone want to carpool from the Left Coast?
    I would but I think I'll fly to the right coast, then carpool with Sailor.... provided I get a hallpass from SWMBO...

Sailor? you there? hello? your computer on/fixed? what say you?

As mentioned last time, not much boat building took place subsequent to the re-location of the boat and bowshed but some nifty improvements to the bowshed interior have occured. With the yard folks feeling somewhat bad for causing such an upheveal in my otherwise predictable little hamster routine, I was provided with random sheets of plywood to help re-enforce the bowshed structure.This mana from heaven inspired all sorts of wild ideas on how best to use this stuff. In the end, I kept it simple but practical as the following pictures will show.

Forward starboard quarter,looking aft.The first thing you may notice, compared to past interior photos, is the addition of a floor.No more groveling around in the dirt looking for dropped screws and no more traipsing of dirt and rocks inside the boat.A very big plus!

The next bit of change has to do with that wee bench of the past.It has now become slighty wider and with the addition of a back wall, I can now begin to hang or hook stuff up out of the way. It is almost scary to imagine this kind of order in my bowshed.

Same side but now looking forward from the stern.Again the floor aids in providing the wonderful illusion of space,despite any effect of the back wall along the work bench working to block outside light. That red handled broom in front of those chairs is a sure sign my gf was there to help with some of the re-organizing. With such a clean organized work space/shop, I'll no longer be trustworthy!

A bunch of little wooden brackets atop the back wall suddenly found themselves loaded with long skinny bits of wood which previously laid along the wook bench.Very disorienting the first few days, no longer recalling exactly where each and every little scrap of wood is and having to remind myself that they are now "up there", where they apparently belong.

Over on the port side,looking forward toward the work table in the far corner with its' collection of stuff, while odd bits of plywood lay resting against the centerboard in the foreground. It is nice to have most of the side wall sheathed with plywood as it offers hard resting points instead of just the poly previous and provides a certain sense of security against vandals.

And finally,looking aft along the port side.Lots of room compared to how things were prior to the re-location thanks to taking the time to position the boat precisely along the centerline of the bowshed..........not exactly how things were the first time around!

Now, some of you sharp eyed folks may have also noticed the colour of the floor.Yup, that is added colour and not the natural colour of our wood up here.While I was perfectly content,if not rather pleased, to just have the dirt covered with wood,my gf thought otherwise.So,off she went to the paint store to pick up an el cheapo gallon of returned, already tinted, paint.I must confess this the baby-duck-puke-yellow colour sort of struck the wrong chord with me.How in the name of all that is holy will I ever be able to carry on with my pretentious tomfoolery,in a manly fashion, with such a bright,happy and light background! I mean really now, this is a bowshed where real men gather to steal my beer,tell tall tales and fart. With this coloured floor, I fear they will now only be dropping by to place an order of flowers for the wife!!

Thus,while listening to my gf give long praises for this choice of colour,such as:"It will be nice and sunny-bright during the dark,cold,days of winter,dear, and you'll feel like working more!" and "It is such a light colour you'll always be able to see and pick up all those beer caps to put in the garbage therefore saving time and working more on the boat!", I began to feel the unsteady vibrations of my two neurons working themselves into a bit of excitement. Baby-duck-puke-yellow my gronicles! I was about to lay an egg to beat all eggs!!

To be continued.........

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Thay say that baby-duck-puke is the new black...

You'll never ever be able to find anything again in that place.
    Trust me,I just cleaned my shop, BIG mistake!
    It drives me insane! When I need a PZ2 screwdriver I'll go straight for the old bucket filled with pieces of electrical wire, to short to keep, where it fell down last spring. The bucket is no longer there!
    Nor are the wires!
    After 20 minutes of searching, I find it stuck into a nifty screwdriver holder attached to the wall.
    I then procede to search my locket of hunting clothes for some drywall screws I KNOW I saw laying on the floor.
    Not there...
    An hour and a half later SWMBO asks why the blue blazes (not really, but words to that meaning) I haven't fixed the shelf in the kitchen, and I , still searching for the long spirit level that has ALWAYS hid behind my rack of old tube radios and is simply gone, retort that I can't find anything in this sordid MESS and...

Well you all probably know how the story ends

Quote Originally Posted by MoMan View Post
    I owe an apology to the group, not to mention The Girl with The Eyes.
    Today, I selfishly siphoned off an entire eight-hour day of potential productivity from Mr. Lenihan.
    I happened to be in town this weekend and Peter graciously hosted a hands-on, full-on, in-depth boat tour, just for me, while he could have been working on the boat. I am truly sorry … for the progress delay, that is, not the visit. I had such a great time.
    Thank you and your friends, Peter!!
    As everyone already knew, you are a class act.
    I promised Peter that I will post some pictures, and a few more details*, of my selfish visit, which I shall do when I return to Houston.
    --Mike
    *I met Simon. We’ll talk later.

Well yes, it is true,I had me a real live visitor all the way from Houston! I look forward to seeing your pictures Mike as it will be interesting to see what another "sees" when they look at my boat. My eyes have grown too accustomed to the boat.A fresh view will be a treat!

Considering it was a Saturday, it was an excellent way to pass time at the boat for, as you got to experience first hand, this appears to be the day folks like to drop by and shoot-the-merde.

More interesting however, was answering your questions about the boat.The only question I usually get asked by the drop in bandits is,"Got any beer?" or if they're feeling guilty,"Want me ta get some beer?" So you see, it was,really was, nice to answer good questions concerning the boat for a change!

Speaking of bandits,Paul and Brian today both asked about you and hope you have a safe trip home(Paul is also curious to find out whether or not you found a good smoke meat place? Imagine that,all he thinks about is meat-n-beer! )

Oh, and Simon was only slightly ticked off that he wasn't offered any Port but appreciated your allowing him some of your beer.Paul never gives Simon any at all!

In the end, I had a grand day at the bowshed and your presence made it so Mike! Glad to have met you!!

Keep a good thought!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Ryden View Post
    Well you all probably know how the story ends
    Your whippletree becomes a twig?
    J.Lennon

A whippletree, Oh Ye of Little Faith and Less Knowledge, is a vertical post of hardwood, kept well lubricated and studded with ridges.
    The purpose of the whippletree is to act as a support structure for the gronicles.

OR, it might be a wooden bar with three rings attached, one at each end and one in the middle, used to distribute the load while pulling f.e. by horses.

And since I'm not only the Photoshopmeister, but also the Visio-meister, I made a detailed plan to which we can apply our 20/20 hindsight.
    (Actually my hindsight needs corrective surgery, but thats neither here nor there)

The reason that I did not speak up earlier is that I get a big kick out of being a wise-ass, telling people what they ought to have done in a patronizing way.
    Plus, I was absent witout leave for purposes of Moose hunting (code word for drinking beer and whiskey and telling extremely tall tales by the fire)

On a slightly more serious note, its a TREAT to see her in the open!!!
    Now, if you just start making those sponsoons, there will be a launch any year now

I am indebted to you Ryden for giving my sorry rump a nudge up out of this near bottomless pit called Total Ignorance, a place all too familiar to me, with your brilliant description and dazzling bit of art regarding the second definition of a whippletree. In fact, the art work is what has really caught my eye,visual creature of the night I is, and can see the merits of the whippletree clearly.That is, except for how the boat becomes sorta in the way as the bowshed is pulled by the beast in the direction of the green arrow. But hold on, I see the art is showing the shed being returned over the boat! Fair enough, says I, but how does one first remove the bowshed with a whippletree considering the force of the pull would occur at the closed end of the shed leaving the per force opened other end for clear passage of the boat and un-supervised freedom for the sides to head East and/or West as sides are sometimes inclined to do,free spirits that they are?

Other than that question and the loud round of applause from the art aficionados standing behind me, your inspired portrayal of Simon with a beer is pure fiction and a funny fantasy! A beer bandit would never ever waste a beer on that wee piece of plastic excrement, no matter how well dressed he was!

Cheers!

Peter, still of little faith but a morsel more knowledgeable,Lenihan
    J.Lennon

Your whippletree becomes a twig?
    LOL!

I am indebted to you Ryden for giving my sorry rump a nudge up out of this near bottomless pit called Total Ignorance, a place all too familiar to me, with your brilliant description and dazzling bit of art regarding the second definition of a whippletree. In fact, the art work is what has really caught my eye,visual creature of the night I is, and can see the merits of the whippletree clearly.
    Aw shucks, flattery will get you nowhere! A laughing polar bear hat an the other hand...

That is, except for how the boat becomes sorta in the way as the bowshed is pulled by the beast in the direction of the green arrow. But hold on, I see the art is showing the shed being returned over the boat! Fair enough, says I, but how does one first remove the bowshed with a whippletree considering the force of the pull would occur at the closed end of the shed leaving the per force opened other end for clear passage of the boat and un-supervised freedom for the sides to head East and/or West as sides are sometimes inclined to do,free spirits that they are?
    Ah, now we go all physics on you!

Fear not, as you say the illustration shows the bowshed being returned over the boat, the situation which I understood gave you the east/west problem.
    This direction of travel is more vulnerable to E/W problems than the opposite as the net forces on the sides strive to push them sideways, when pulling from the closed end the net forces will cause them to line up straight aft of the corner
    For this to work, sideways friction has to be greater than fore/aft friction. Your plastic pipe rollers for instance have far less sideways friction than gravel.

So the whippletree would only have made a difference when returning the shed over the boat.

I can see some solutions where you attached ropes to the back end of the shed and stretched it taut, but I doubt that the structure would be strong enough to handle that.

A tentative solution to this problem might be to throw beer bandits on it, like four for each bow, one on the inside, one on the outside for each leg of the bow.

A classic time-tested solution

Other than that question and the loud round of applause from the art aficionados standing behind me, your inspired portrayal of Simon with a beer is pure fiction and a funny fantasy! A beer bandit would never ever waste a beer on that wee piece of plastic excrement, no matter how well dressed he was!
    Of course not! The little runt clearly stole it while your panoptic eyes where distracted by the shed imitating the walls of Jericho.

All in all I can't see that you could have done much better than you did
    (except the wippletree of course )
    Last edited by Ryden; 10-19-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: sp.

Why is Cousin It propped up in your yard?

Have you been feeding him Scumpy again!? You naughty person you.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Nice floor.That will be a big improvement.Baby duck puke yellow ain't as bad as sissy pastel pink.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Why is Cousin It propped up in your yard?

Have you been feeding him Scumpy again!? You naughty person you.
    He is toooo drunk to stand up straight so he propped him up.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Dealing with that Baby Duck Puke Yellow colour was gonna be a challenge and as ben2go mentioned, perhaps some comfort was available as at least it was not sissy pastel pink! However,it did not take me too long, this time around, to realize how laying an egg is a whole lot tougher than we give chickens credit for! After what felt like a miserable waste of time had gone by without any egg to show for the effort, a steady,cool,calm finally settled in between my ears.Some of that "coolness" was greatly assisted by a chilled bottle of beer found loitering under the boat(lucky me!) and a sudden strong desire to launch into yet another rousing rendition of 100 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall.However, before I made it to "93 bottles........." I was struck by a feeling almost foreign to me. An idea! Smiling my way through another healthy pull on the bottle, it occured to me that,as the saying goes, the best way to beat them was to join them.

Thus, I found myself back at the paint store rifling through the paint return bin until I came across just what I was looking for.Heaving the gallon can out of the hoard, I hobbled my way over to the cashier,who looked like she had seen one too many tanning salons despite what appeared to be a life-time of active membership at the local gym(can you say,"buns-o-steel"?), and deposited my fist full of coins on the counter.Unfortunately, some of the coins rolled and fell off to the floor which caused her to bend over to retrieve them(can you say,"Sweet Baby Jesus!"?),which took some time as her nails looked like they could snatch a salmon heading up stream in full flight. Seeing the slight trouble this was causing her, I picked up the rest of my change off the counter and deposited it into her now open palm,resting just long enough to ensure none would fall again as she closed her warm fingers around them. She then turned her head to note the price on the can before punching it up on the cash register and I caught her eye brows lift ever so slightly.Ah ha, I thought, she's just noticed the colour dab sample on the lid. Looking back up to me and straight into my eyes, she said,"Hmmmm,c'est une tres bonne choix de colour monsieur.Avez vous besoin d'une baton pour le brasser?" Before I could reply,she was already leaning forward as she crouched down,never taking her eyes off me, while her right arm reached under the counter for a stir-stick and her loose fitting blouse informed my eyes that lingerie was not high on her list of things to wear(can you say,"Got milk?"). Standing back up, she toyed with the stir-stick in a fashion which slowly produced my very own whippletree/stir-stick(can you say,"wood?") while I thanked her and mentioned what the paint was to be used for.With a hushed velvety,"J'aime ca,les hommes qui travaille avec leurs main", she punched up the total,tore off the receipt and handed it to me by placing the receipt firmly into my palm with both her hands.Before letting go,she smiled and asked," Fait vous les job pour les autres?"(can you say"lumber?"), I replied,"maybe, mais pas tout suite!"

That is when I knew I had made the right choice of colour! Yessirree!

Absently driving back to the bowshed, I was eager to get the job done and return some sense of dignity to my surroundings. None of this Baby Duck Puke Yellow "it'll be sunny-bright,dear,and make you work better" stuff. No Sir!! From now on it was going to be the sort of place where men can gather, drink their drinks,talk their merde, scratch their gronicles and feel like they're actually doing work.From now on, the bowshed floor would be painted BAD BOY BLUE and don't let me ever catch anyone dropping by asking for a dozen daisies.......................

See how the Bad Boy Blue makes your breathing increase, in a he-man tough fashion just by looking at it?

Can't you just hear the sound of deep voices shouting,laughing and burping?

As you gaze yonder,does not the sound of the crushing sea and screeching gulls fill your ears?

While in the background comes the sounds of saws,drills ,hammers and farts!

Aye! Only the tough and the thristy need bother knocking now! We're all outta flowers!!!!

Next up, Chef Pierre will walk us through his special recipe for angle-dick sausage! It's a manly thing,ya know.

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

You Sir is hoarding AWSOMENESS!!!
    Onlu a true genious would replace Baby Duck Puke Yellow with Bad Boy Blue!
    That awful yellow would not let beer stains show properly and painstakenly accumulated sawdust would just vanish.
    And who would like to have a sunny-bright disposition while working?
    Boatbuilding is a sombre business and not to be taken lightly.
    Witout a soupcon of weltschmertz and an impeding sense of doom, no boat worth it's salt can be built.
    There should be a certain, je ne sais quoi, athmosphere af arderous labour, of missaligned Gibbs bungs, of feelings that the lustre sheen of brightwork is due to catharacts of perspiration, of hearts bleeding in the scrap pile where expensive wood lies dormant forever, of a sephulcre odeur of foul language in the bilge and a general feel of misantropic manliness permeating through the boat.

Women don't seem to have the knack for it.
    When you are standing there looking at the complete foobar you just made and feeling that peculiar mixture of despair and a deep vibrant joy of having to do it all over again (and again) they come by and try to cheer you up by saying such inane things as "It's not that bad, you can always paint it over" or "Well, just make the other one the same and no one will ever know"

And if you've had enough beers, and squint a bit, that Bad Boy Blue will let you think that she's already launched and moored by some special place (although it's weird that so many tools are floating nearby) and dreams will take it from there.
    A man's soul can get lost in there.

A laughing polar bear hat an the other hand...
    That could be arranged...via pm........nudge,nudge,wink,wink, say no more.............

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Anybody having problems viewing Peter's pictures? They don't seem to be loading from his Shutterfly account (for me at least).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    She:Kon, pronounced "Say-go" is a traditional Iroquois greeting that means "Do you still have the Great Peace?" (Old forum name: KnottyBuoyz)

Seem OK to me.

Hi Peter,

First post here but I'm an avid reader.

Your photos are loading fine for me, but please, never go to the paint store again without a camera. Preferably a little concealed one in your laughing polar bear hat so we can share with you the delights of what sounds like exceptional customer service.

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by knottyBuoyz View Post
    Anybody having problems viewing Peter's pictures? They don't seem to be loading from his Shutterfly account (for me at least).

Well Rick,it would appear that.......you're out voted

2 to 1

yo ho ho

and a bottle of rum!

Just couldn't resist! It is all part of my Peter Pan Syndrome maintenance regime and much needed if I never want to grow up

Thank you Bob and Andy for checking in to confirm that it is Rick who may be experiencing a problem.

And Andy, your idea of me hiding a camera in my cap has merit however I fear the images may come out too blurred due to extrapyramidal tremblings,if ya knows what I means Besides, it would skirt dangerously near the Scottable offense line of the forum family friendly rules and I do try to stick to the rules!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Bonjour mes amis on le woodenboat forum! I am Chef Pierre Laframboise an' I has been invited to le bowshed of Monsieur Tenner to share wit you my fabulous recipe for some delicious saucisse Quéquette D'ange or, how you say, angel dick sausage,yes? Bon! So, dis iz a recipe I learned long time ago from a maître cuisinier,you know,a master chef, who lived along la Seine right near Notre Dame.Eet eez very good!

So, allons nous with les steps to make your very own Saucisse Quéquette D'ange!

First, we musta go to buy la membrane for our sausage in zee local boucherie...how you say...butcher shop,yes? You know,like zee Home Hardware,Home Depot,yes, deez kind of place. Make absolument certain dat you buys only zee 12 inch wide roll of zee 6mil membrane becauze if you buys le membrane too thin, she will not be good.Zee membrane for de dick of the angel must be very very..e....résistant,yes?.... tough! Dis is very important because le dick is so big an' musta take alot of beating from les elements.

Once you arrive back chez toi from la boucherie, unroll zee membrane an' check to see if she is in perfect condition.We must no have holes in our membrane.

Bon! So we see now how le membrane she have no holes.Next, we musta folded le membrane two times.Yes, once in half an' zen another times in half again,yes? You make dis fold all alongs the entire longuer of le membrane after you un-rolled it,yes.

Bon! Now we takes our membrane an' very carefully make it tight wit dee pince...e...clamps! My friend Tenner have it only deez cheap ones here but dats ok because we musta put un petit morceau of wood to protect zee membrane just le same.

Now, we musta pull zee membrane out tightly but pas trop tight an' we make another clamp tightly on zee other end of zee membrane,like so in le photo.
    Mon Dieu, I just love dis floor Monsieur Tenner make and la couleur,Vomi du Bébé Canard, c'est tellement gai!! I musta tella my époux,Bruno, dat we musta change les couleur in our salon justa like dis! Oh Oui!!!

Enough of my joy with dis lovely fantastique colour, back to some dick membrane,yes?

Alors, when we have le membrane all clamped firmly, it is now time to take a small break for some wine maybe a little bit of fromage while we allow le angel to come inside le membrane.Some time angels they are tres vit...e...very fast an' will come inside right away to the membrane.Some other times ,angels take some time,perhaps 2 or 3 vers de vin,porto or even beer. I always tell my students to relax,enjoy a glass or two dis way we can be sure le angel he come inside le membrane for sure.

When we finish our break, it is now le time to trap le angel inside le membrane. We musta not scare him away an' walk slowly beside the membrane with some sausage membrane tape.Some time it help to calm le angel if we sing a lullaby.We always begin at one end first like so..........

Sacre bleu! Non! Not like dat!! (Excusé moi,mes amis but I must have another vers de porto to wash away les mauvais esprits....e....how you say,bad spirits?)

I will return shortly once I am finished mon porto.

A bientôt!

Chef Laframboise
    Last edited by P.L.Lenihan; 10-21-2010 at 01:34 AM.
    J.Lennon

Bon alors! Je suis back from my chasing of the bad spirits away an' we can now continue properly with zee making of le Saucisse Quéqeutte D'ange.

Yes, we musta be careful as we slowly trap our angel inside le membrane and we musta work properly to make sure he no escape!

So,vee slowly put our sausage membrane tape on dis way,always working dans sense aiguilles d'une montre..e....in a clockwise direction,yes? Dis first part is special for we do not wish to awake le angel from his nice rest.

Slowly, we apply more presure to eventually squeeze le membrane nice an' tight with our membrane tape.Dis is important step to make it right or else our angel he may run away an' we have to start all over again.C'est pas bon ca!

An' zen, we keep going along le membrane,singing softly, an' eventually we have our angel all nice an' trapped inside le membrane. Do not oublier(forget?) dat we musta put some membrane tape every metre or trois(3) feet aproximately for angels likes to feel snug presure all alongs his bodies because it eez like dis in le ceil..e...heaven,yes, where it eez so full of happy esprits there is always le presure. Voila! Le secret to keeping your angels happy is to keep nice presure on thems all le time.

Alors, when we have finished le taping of le membrane, she looks something like dis with one happy angel sleeping inside,yes?

Maybe now, we can takes another petit glass of porto and wait quietly to make sure our angel he is sleeping profoundly ok?

Bon! After our porto, we carefully release les clamps from le membrane an' gently place our fresh sausage on le floor. Like I says before, angels really like to feel le presure because in le heaven it is so full.So, we musta make a few saucisse just to keep our angels from feeling tout seul...e...lonely,d'accord?

Here now we can sees a wonderful collection of angel dick sausages all sleeping.Mais do not make le mistake of letting them stay on le floor.Non! We musta now faire sécher our saucisse.How you say, cure your sausage? Oui?

Bon alors, nous allons to le next step to make cure our lovely sausages.

See you back soon mes amis for le last part!

a ta santé!!

Chef Laframboise
    J.Lennon

Alors, off we go to cure our angel dick sausage!

Once we are outside, we wrap one end of our lovely sausage around a small piece of 1x3 spruce.This will help us keep le sausage from moving too much as it cures.C'est a good idea to make a few turns on le wood too just to be prudent.C'est vraie!

Zen we toss le sausage over zee top of any nice building,like le bowshed of Monsieur Tenner, an' make it sure le other end is also secured with le piece of spruce.Do not be afraid to give a nice pull on le sausage.He will stretch very nicely.A test to see if you pull it hard enough is to see the way he makes a nice "V" section in le bowshed roof.

An' we keep doing this to our sausages until we have no more sausage to cure. C'est vraiement cool,n'est pas?

Maintenent, we let les sausages cure for a long time en grande aire...in le great outdoors,oui?

Donc, ceci is how I makes les saucisse Quéquette d'Ange.You see how eezee dat was? An' le best part eez it is good for le santé(le health?) of le bowshed too.Voila! Bon appétit!

Merci Chef Laframboise for taking the time to show us how to make ..er...a...some angel-dick sausages.

For those who may not be the slighest bit interested in cooking or food, I happen to enjoy the way those sausages particularly secure the poly over the top of my bowshed and I think this is key to ensuring a long lived bowshed roof. If one goes the route of shrink warp, as seen in another thread by knottybouyz here:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-She-Kon/page2

these sausages may not be needed.However, if you're into more low-tech stuff like simply dragging a sheet of poly over your bowshed and you want it to last, the sausages are the way to go.

This recent batch was made to secure the winter poly(clear poly) over my bowshed to maximize solar heating in the dead of winter.

This here is just a back view of my newly refreshed bowshed.Anything you can do to help keep down the loose flapping of the poly,like the stapping seen here along the rear wall, will prolong the life of the poly.

This is what covered the bowshed during the summer months; white shrink wrap, un-heated/un-shrunk, to help block some of the suns warming rays.As you can see too, fewer sausages were used since out summers are rather benign compard to our sometimes harsh and violent winters.

Finally, why do I call them angel dick sausages? Considering the extreme cold,howling winds,lots of snow,ice and freezing rain which my bowshed has withstood over the past several years, I have never,not even once, experienced a roof and/or sausage failure.Not even in summmer!And this is just your garden variety,6mil vapour barrier stuff, not even rated for exterior use! Thus, for me, there must be a gang of angels in them! You can figure out the second part of the name yourselves,I'm certain!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

"Curiouser and curiouser"
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    "Curiouser and curiouser"
    You do know,of course, it could be much worse..........something like...oh...let's see...."crazier and crazier" !

Cheers!

Petebr />

Ps., late night or very early riser?
    J.Lennon

Well Rick,it would appear that.......you're out voted

2 to 1

Just couldn't resist! It is all part of my Peter Pan Syndrome maintenance regime and much needed if I never want to grow up

Thank you Bob and Andy for checking in to confirm that it is Rick who may be experiencing a problem.
    I got a nasty note from the IT service desk. Something about that Shutterfly account violating the "Acceptable Use Policy" of our computers and network at work. Apparently "Master Bates" is in the key word index that blocks porn sites. Oh well, I can see them at home and Master Bates is OK with my network!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    She:Kon, pronounced "Say-go" is a traditional Iroquois greeting that means "Do you still have the Great Peace?" (Old forum name: KnottyBuoyz)

What splenid saucisses, zey are absolutement le "Biz niis", peut-être even "Les mamelons de chat"

Zey are certainement long enough, mais zey are peut-être a bit, how do you zay, weenie n'est pas?

Perhaps you should have remplié les sausages une peu pour le meilleur et pour le plaisir, hein?

Cordially, Jean-Pierre Legrandbaguette

Anybody else woke up to 4" of snow this morning?
    I think it's time to get my boat out of the water...

As promised, I have returned to Houston from my Montreal trip, so following is a partial synopsis of my visit. I can say without hesitation that my day at the bowshed with Peter and friends was the highlight of my trip, compared with all the touristy things one is advised to experience in Montreal.

Peter’s limousine arrived at 9:00 sharp to pick me up at my downtown hotel. The driver thoughtfully engaged the glass partition so Peter and I could converse without distraction. I got a full dissertation on weather patterns, the pros and cons of the Canadian health care system, taxes, native residents and much more—more Canadian information and history in fact than I received throughout my entire cumulative U.S. education. But that’s a topic for another thread.

The dreary, cool morning was countered by a trip to Tim Horton’s for coffee—a real treat which is not available in Houston, and an impressive display of drive-through skills by the chauffeur.

Security was tight as we pulled into the yard—or more accurately, The Yard. A sharp-eyed security guard immediately noticed the stranger in Peter’s limo and waved us to a halt, then proceeded to grill Mr. Lenihan for several minutes in French so as to conceal his suspicions from me. I’ve concluded that Peter must be a sharp-witted, convincing host because the guard never did ask for my passport and eventually waved us on.

The chauffeur maneuvered the vehicle into the assigned parking spot, got out and opened the doors for Peter and I to exit.

And there it was, in the flesh: that beautiful, plastic-sheathed work of art that Peter pedantically refers to as, “the bowshed.”

Now I don’t mean to further knock my American public education, but as Peter mapped out the relocation process of the bowshed, and the distances involved, and the difficulties manifested in relocating the shed, I had to question the metric-to-English conversion ratios I had been given in grade school. You see, a commoner like me assessing the situation would conclude that the operation is as simple as dragging the dining room table across the floor about 6 feet over, then repositioning the rug underneath it. But what do I know? Perhaps Canadian math is more involved. So, onto, or rather into, the bowshed.

Peter reached in to his pocket to fish out the second line of security defense: the key. The lock snapped open, the plastic-laden door swung aside and I stepped over the threshold like a too-heavy-to-carry-bride and nearly cried at the sight before me. I’ve been following her build from the lurker shadows for about two years, so it is inspiring to see a three-dimensional representation within touching distance. Were my wife present, she would have slapped my hands and blindfolded my eyes for my perceived infidelity.

After a perimeter tour of the vessel, next up was actually stepping aboard. I ascended the makeshift ladder and stepped onto the aft deck, then gingerly stepped through the companion way into the interior. I felt like I had just unhooked my prom date’s bra!

I won’t go into too much detail as Peter has thoroughly documented this build. I will say that the pictures he posts individually do not do justice to how all of those thousands of individual pieces are woven together into a beautiful, cohesive tapestry of craftsmanship.

One of the more fascinating topics that came up while I visited Peter’s boat was the realization that the boat’s designer, Phil Bolger, visited the boat a few years ago. Peter expounded on the various (yet minimal) design modifications he made to the original plans, and then countered Bolger’s reactions with Peter’s justifications. Since I have practically a negative amount of boat-building experience, I will defer to Peter for any additional explanations or questions, which are most likely detailed earlier in this thread.

As Peter was detailing the build process, and answering my foolish and inexperienced questions while sullying the interior of his second love, I couldn’t help overhearing an odd, yet oddly familiar, noise in the background. My mind drifted, trying to find some previous reference point. I KNOW I’d heard it before. Memories swirled around me like a giant vortex. Years ago ... Home ... Furniture ... My parents. Then it hit me: Whenever my mother would fall asleep in the lounge chair, her jaw would drop open and she would start snoring like a passed out sailor on shore leave.

So where was this familiar noise coming from??? As nonchalantly as possible, I surveyed my surroundings to try and home in on the source. Definitely not from above … not from aft … not from the bow … not from starboard … There it was! The port side of the galley. That’s where Peter keeps his immaculate scale model of his boat. And that’s from where the noise emanated.
    Being a guest, I certainly didn’t want to “rock the boat.” So I did my best to ignore it. That was a harder task than you might imagine. But I do feel like I maintained a standard of politeness that one might expect of a guest.

Anyway, we finished up the impressive interior tour of the boat and sat down for a chat outside on the starboard bow quarter when a couple of Peter’s neighbor friends dropped by for a visit. Paul brought the ultimate gift basket: beer.

As the first psssht of an aluminum beer can being opened shot through the bowshed, the snoring sound came to an abrupt halt. No more than two seconds later, a smallish, green-shirted apparition popped over the rub rail and spouted, “What’s this, then, a stranger in the midst??”

Simon was clearly eyeing me with suspicion.

I walked over and introduced myself: “Hello, I’m Mike, from Houston. I bet you’re Simon”.

Without acknowledging me, Simon observed, “I heard beer. Where’s the beer?”

I handed mine over to appease him, which he greeted with an under-growled “harrumph.”

I must confess, I am shocked—SHOCKED—by how much, and how quickly, that little plastic body can absorb fluid.

At one point, Peter had had just about enough of Simon’s antics and threatened to crush him with an index finger.

At any rate, we were able to squeeze off a few quality pictures before Simon turned surly and I had to leave to avoid fisticuffs.

I hope that in the near future I will afford a second visit to Mr. Lenihan’s residency for a, dare I say it, on-the-water-cruise. In the mean time, I shall thank my lucky stars that I have entertainers like Peter to help me wile away the otherwise empty hours of my job.

Thank you again, Peter!

(photos to follow, assuming I can figure out the process from the FAQ)

I'm at a loss for words and hardly know where to begin after reading through the wonderfully poetic prose of MoMan. But I will start off,nevertheless by proclaiming in a loud voice,IT AIN'T TRUE YER HONOUR!!!, or as we say in French,Merci Mike pour les mots tres genereux et les compliments fleuri!!!

In fact, to a greater or lesser extent, pretty much most of what Mike wrote is a very reasonable facsimile of the reality of that days' visit.Despite my fumbling around always seeking the right word in English from the French one stuck in my head, we did manage to understand each other fairly well. I was also surprised at how much American sounds so much like English that it was relatively easy to pick up the gist of what Mike had to say.

It was of course a treat to show the boat off and despite Mike waxing so eloquently about the boat, it remains in the end just a pile of lumber and epoxy conveniently resting together to look like a boat. If it weren't for the plans,it would look much worse!

At any rate, it was a very special day to host such a fine visitor from far,far, away and while we await some fine photographic impressions from Mike,here are a few of mine,which will later be used in court when I bring Simon to justice for his unruly behavior, just to illustrate how terribly evil Simon can really be when his nose is not kept to the grindstone!

Here we see a gentle gathering of real men,exercising their God given right to park their fanny perpendiculars exactly where they please,while working hard at the thankless task of self hydration,yet all the while brilliantly burning off excess calories through virtually non-stop mandibular extensions.Who ever said men cannot mulit-task clearly hasn't a clue or simply doesn't get out in the real world very often! From left to right:Paul,beer bandit extrodinaire,caught mid-way through the telling of a wonderfully intriguing tall tale, colloquially known as BS. To Paul's left, the man-of-the-day,Mike(MoMan) practicing his active-listening skills while further upping his caloric burn by slowing crushing a beer can with his bare hand( a manly thing to do,if ever there was one, and universally understood to mean,I NEED ANOTHER BEER!(it was only later I found out he was in fact creating a diversion for himself by re-directing the pain felt in his ears due to the rapid release of all his suddenly melted ear wax.) And with his back to the camera Brian,another buddy drawn into the BS feeding frenzy and just waiting to unleash his own tall tale of woe and adventure having just returned from Newfoundland,poor Brian.For the sharp eyed jokers reading this, the bottle of Port and the empty glass in front of it are mere theater props and used to give the illusion of properness when an un-expected visitor drops by(like Brian) and are offered a glass.

So there you have it, a perfectly normal and peaceful gathering of men working away the day, unfettered by worldly concerns or even the very passage of time. Nothing unusual at all.Right?

Then all things suddenly changed!

Before I knew exactly what was going on, out of the wood work popped Simon,full of piss-n-vinegar,instinctively making a bee-line for the new guy and his beer, without so much as a by-your-leave, Sir!

I know,I know, Mike does appear not the least bit imposed upon and smiling readily for the camera in this photo and all that, which speaks more to his sterling character and good up-bring, but,but,but........Simon has already finished off one of Mikes' beers without Mike even knowing it! The unmitigated gall!!!

But it got worser and worser, yer honour...........

Just as Mike was about to absently,reflexively,predictably and honourably raise his can for another pull,Simon nose-dived for the beer!!! I must confess I did lose it then.Without regard for the gentle sensibilities of my guest, I lashed out at Simon and virtually drained the contents of the French dictionary's section of curse words at him while hauling his sorry arse out of Mike's can. Such shameful behavior by one of the hired hands,of course,always reflects poorly on the host. I was so embarrassed I almost forgot how to speak English. Fortunately, I've had several days now, since this humiliating incident, to recover sufficiantly and would now like to offer my sincere apologies to Mike and wish to say,should you ever visit again, I'll make sure to buy Simon his own beer before you arrive!

Hopefully,Mike will get his act together regarding how to post pictures on the forum soon and we will be treated to some fine fun and happy pictures instead of the above shameful display visited upon us by that low-life-good-fer-nothing-little-plastic-bastid Simon.

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by knottyBuoyz View Post
    I got a nasty note from the IT service desk. Something about that Shutterfly account violating the "Acceptable Use Policy" of our computers and network at work. Apparently "Master Bates" is in the key word index that blocks porn sites. Oh well, I can see them at home and Master Bates is OK with my network!

Sorry to hear that you'll have to surf other threads while at work.I guess the federal government is tougher than we give it credit .Always picking on the little guys and making life miserable for so many is very noble of them. Fortunately, so far, the provincial government here haven't gone that far yet, but we do have an internal blocker which prohibits lots of stuff from getting through and the "reason for blocking" reads like a joke.For example; political satire sites are blocked as "tasteless". News sites blocked as "streaming video".Live weather forcasting sites are blocked as"humourless" and on it goes to stupidity.Fascinating what our tax dollars pay for nowadays!

I'll let Simon know what a pain he is for some of us!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Zey are certainement long enough, mais zey are peut-être a bit, how do you zay, weenie n'est pas?
    Perhaps you should have remplié les sausages une peu pour le meilleur et pour le plaisir, hein?
    Cordially, Jean-Pierre Legrandbaguette

Monsieur Legrandbaguette,

Let moi first say how pleased I am to note you and I perhaps share le same cadeau si your last nom is un indicateur.Mes amis used to tease moi too and called me le elephant-man mais they stopped their laughing quand les femmes began calling moi Latour,Labaguette, Lemâitre and Mon Dieu! The weaker would just faint before a word would tomber from leurs bouche.

Mais this n'est pas what I wish to address.Les saucisse are, I say most certainly are, filled to capacity avec une ange complet! Perhaps it is a question of faith si vous les voyez pas and fait l'errur to believe you must les remplir more still.Trust me,il sont tres fort et durable avec seulement one ange in each sauccisse membrane.

Despite this faith business, je suis heureux to find que tu trouve le sauccisse bien, but non, ils sont pas le cats' meow but more like le chats hair ball!

Une bonne journeé at toi J.P.Legrandbaguette!!

Cheers!

Peter Pinatuba
    J.Lennon

You Sir is hoarding AWSOMENESS!!!
    Onlu a true genious would replace Baby Duck Puke Yellow with Bad Boy Blue!
    That awful yellow would not let beer stains show properly and painstakenly accumulated sawdust would just vanish.
    And who would like to have a sunny-bright disposition while working?
    Boatbuilding is a sombre business and not to be taken lightly.
    Witout a soupcon of weltschmertz and an impeding sense of doom, no boat worth it's salt can be built.
    There should be a certain, je ne sais quoi, athmosphere af arderous labour, of missaligned Gibbs bungs, of feelings that the lustre sheen of brightwork is due to catharacts of perspiration, of hearts bleeding in the scrap pile where expensive wood lies dormant forever, of a sephulcre odeur of foul language in the bilge and a general feel of misantropic manliness permeating through the boat.

Women don't seem to have the knack for it.
    When you are standing there looking at the complete foobar you just made and feeling that peculiar mixture of despair and a deep vibrant joy of having to do it all over again (and again) they come by and try to cheer you up by saying such inane things as "It's not that bad, you can always paint it over" or "Well, just make the other one the same and no one will ever know"

And if you've had enough beers, and squint a bit, that Bad Boy Blue will let you think that she's already launched and moored by some special place (although it's weird that so many tools are floating nearby) and dreams will take it from there.
    A man's soul can get lost in there.

I've only just recovered from a laughing induced coughing fit!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

After an industrial dose of caffeine, I figured out the problem, which should come as no surprise to regular readers of this thread: due to the larger-than-life nature of Peter's boat, my photos are too large. So I will work to "Simonize" them and post soon. Right now I gotta get to work!

So here's a tease: That's Brian on the left, Peter on the Bark-a-Lounger, and Paul against the boat.

Last edited by MoMan; 10-23-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: photo update